Oil filters - far0n
Do all oil filters share the same mounting ? If they do, is there any benefit in using an oil filter from a 2 litre mondeo on a 1 litre fiesta for example ?
Oil filters - Simon
No they all don't share the same mounting, there are loads of different threads and sealing ring sizes etc. What you will find though is that a certain manufacturer may use the same type of mounting for two different engines and hence maybe a 2 litre mondeo filter will fit a 1 litre fiesta. The benefits - none that I can think of.
Oil filters - storme
are you serious??????????

have you even put 2 different filters next to each other..or even looked inside 2 different filters??
Oil filters - MW
It does raise an interesting technical and economic question. Why not standardise on one oil filter size and type. I suspect that the answer is that long services now require larger filters to live through the 2 or more years that some cars now go between oil services. OK make them all large. After all the job is simply to filter oil in a flow. A pretty simple job. The economies of scale of one filter would be huge. ie the £2 filter.
Oil filters - nick
OEM filters semm to be getting smaller, not larger. The Subaru one for my Legacy is now about 2/3 the size it was, yet the change interval on a new car has gone from 7500 miles to 10k.