That damned ZX! Please help! - y2k+4
It's cursed...a Citroen ZX 1.4 carb. Right, so explain to me what can cause a squealing noise (like rubbing on a window-type sound) when taking off and changing into gear occasionally? It's not the alternator. Today's little jaunt revealed a whole new problem, it's reluctant to accelerate. The engine sort of coughs and spits when you try and the whole car shakes before you get (much slower) acceleration than I know it used to give, and idles for no reason while doing 15 (around town)...I really don't want to take it to a mechanic (it'll cost), and I'd rather get rid of her - but as my first car I couldn't do it when I replaced her, and I'm not keen on doing it now...HELP SOMEONE!
That damned ZX! Please help! - Insect
Hmm. If the squealing isn't the auxiliary belt (the one that drives the alternator, power steering pump etc) then it could be a dry/worn clutch release bearing, I would guess. As for the reluctance to accelerate, I would start with a new set of spark plugs and high tension leads and see if that helps.
That damned ZX! Please help! - mfarrow
Hmmm... well the squealing noise, as mentioned, is no doubt the clutch release bearing.

The lumpy acceleration problem:

Does it happen when hot or cold? If it's doing it when cold the automatic choke could be pulling down too early or sticking. Is it a manual choke or auto? It could also be a fuel delivery problem. Maybe a fuel system cleaner will help, or if you can service the fuel pump, and clean the filter.