Megane jerky at high revs - Megane_man
Car:
Megane Mk1 2.0 8v with s\s exhaust system & Inductions kit.

Hi

Any ideas on this would be gratefully recivied, as it's a very inconsistent problem.

My megane has twice recently (once when hot once when cold) started dropping power after it's been taken above 4k RPM, to the point where the more throttle I give it the less I get back in return. It feels almost as if someone is pulling the car back.

I had the spark plugs & HT leads (all top quality) done about 3 months ago and also the coil packs were changed.

On top of this I've noticed it stall twice recenly just completelty randomly.Once was after delibrately revving it to recreate the problem, second time was stopped at traffic lights.

I do a mixture of v.short journeys or very long journeys in it, but I do get it serviced every 5k (religiously).

Any ideas??? Thanks
Megane jerky at high revs - Insect
A friend of mine took his Megane back to the garage he bought it from complaining that it lost power at high revs. Turned out that the engine was fine, it was just the rev limiter kicking in. I have no idea how the rev limiter works, or at what revs, but I wonder if there could be a fault there?
Megane jerky at high revs - GrahamF1
Sounds like you have a bit of a misfire. Check and clean all the ignition components - maybe one of the leads or plugs you had fitted was a dud or it wasn't fitted properly? Just because a garage did it, doesn't mean they did it right. Plugs might not be gapped correctly, one of the leads might be damaged internally, not pushed home on to the plug, any number of things really.
Megane jerky at high revs - Megane_man
Thanks for the idea's. Thinking about it it does feel similar to when the rev limiter kicks in.
I'm 99 % certain all electrics are ok due to extensive testing on a previous fault, similar but at lower revs, new coil packs fitted not so long ago.

I've driven it a lot today and just taken it out tried several different styles of driving and nothing, except the hand brake light has flashed on a few times, I've not got a handbook for it so I'm not sure what this means (I;ve checked handbrake and it's not loose).

I'm beggining to wonder if my orgional problem could be the cat???