1st service question - Jane
My Jazz is going in for its first service on Tuesday. In the FAQs on running in a new car it recommends having the transmission oil changed after the first year. A few questions on this...

Is this a fairly normal request at first services?

Being a fairly cynical person where garages are concerned, is there any way of checking that the job has been done as requested or do I just have to take their word for it?

How much is it likely to cost on top of the full service fee?

Thanking you in advance :o)

--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished
1st service question - Altea Ego
Normal request? Nope - I bet you will be the first who ever asked for it at your dealer.

Checking the job? not really - only by crawling around underneath and looking at marks on the filler plug.

Cost - they will hit for an hours labour and the cost of the oil, say between 50 and 100 quid all in.
1st service question - L'escargot
Does the Jazz have separate transmission oil? Being front wheel drive, isn't the oil that lubricates the transmission in fact the engine oil?
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
1st service question - PhilW
"Being front wheel drive, isn't the oil that lubricates the transmission in fact the engine oil?"

All the FrontWD Citroens I have had have had separate gearbox oil. Wasn't it only the original mini (and derivatives) that had the same oil for engine and gearbox? I will stand corrected by those who actually know about these things!!!

1st service question - doctorchris
Like all modern FWD cars, the Jazz has separate engine and gearbox oils. The Jazz does not need a gear oil change at its first service, in fact I think you will find that Honda do not specify a gear oil change at any point in the vehicle's life.
In my experience most FWD cars seem to benefit from a change of gear oil around the 6 year mark when the gearchange starts to become a bit more difficult.
1st service question - L'escargot
Does the Jazz have separate transmission oil? Being front >> wheel drive, isn't the oil that lubricates the transmission >> in fact the engine oil?
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.

Like all modern FWD cars, the Jazz has separate engine and
gearbox oils.

Oops ~ slithered in too quick there! (Retracts head into shell in shame at being so ignorant!)

--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
1st service question - mfarrow
The reason for trying to get the transmission oi changed after
the first year (then never again) is that this gets rid
of the tiny bits of metal suspended in the oil from
running in the transmission.

Surely most of these metal particles get picked up by the swarf magnet?
1st service question - Hugo {P}
The Peugeot 104/Talbot Samba/Citroen equivilent also shared the same engine/box oil.

H