Automatic Garage Door Opener - puntoo
Its winter, its cold and I have room in my garage to park my car. However I cant be bothered to get out and open the doors all the time so I want an electric garage opener.

I have seen one on Screwfix they have a chamberlain motorlift electric door opener for £150 quid. Its the ML850.

www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=95986&ts=7...3

before I go an spend all my Christmas bonus on one can anyone answer the following

Are they any good ?
Will the motor noise wake the whole street ?
Is there anything else better ?

Automatic Garage Door Opener - Kevin
Give these folks a call first:

www.amourelle.co.uk/

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Kevin...
Automatic Garage Door Opener - Bill Payer
I've got a Motorlift opener bought from Screwfix a few yrs ago - not sure of the model though, it might be bigger than the one shown.
I also fitted a Clopay sectional door which I got from B&Q. Together they work well, but the spring tension in the door gear means that it's light as a feather anyway. All the opener has to do is pull the door back along a track and push is shut again. I think it's a bit more complicated with 'normal' UK up & over doors.

I don't know what's happened to Clopay in the UK, B&Q have stopped selling them and there used to be a distributor in Manchester, but there's no mention of them now. Yet they seem to be pretty well the standard garage door in the US.
Automatic Garage Door Opener - volvoman
Do you just need an opener ? If so the Chamberlain units are great and not noisy. If you need a new door as well IIRC B&Q are doing a sectional door with built in Somfy motor and R/C for around £380. Often these doors cost more than that on their own (i.e. with no motor) and this one comes built into it's own metal frame which simply secures to the brickwork opening or wood frame. I've seen 2 sizes available but won't quote them 'cos I'm not sure. Check the B&Q website if you're interested. HTH.
Automatic Garage Door Opener - L'escargot
I've got a Henderson Screwdrive on an 8 foot wide door, and it's OK, but I wouldn't have one from choice ~ it was there when I bought the property. It doesn't exactly wake up the whole street, but it's not quiet either. It relies on the fact that it is a screw drive to keep the door shut ~ there is no separate lock. In fact, having a separate lock might be risky ~ according to the previous owner if the door can't move when you press the button, it just wrecks the drive mechanism. Similarly, if your car is outside and is too close to the door as it is opening. I don't know whether this is true, however. If there is anything preventing it from shutting completely (such as your foot!) it automatically reverses and opens again. One day mine kept doing this, but I assume that it was because it was too finely adjusted and that the problem was caused by grit on the ground under the door ~ I swept the floor and the problem hasn't recurred. When I've worked up the nerve, I'll try to re-adjust it ~ if it goes wrong and I have to disconnect the door from the drive mechanism (there is provision for this) then the door will effectively have no lock. The screw drive has to be regularly lubricated, and I've found that excess lubricant drops off ~ onto my car if it's in the garage.

Like any other powered mechanism, it's OK when it is working correctly.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
P.S. It's an up and over door.
--
Automatic Garage Door Opener - pmh
I cannot comment on the Screwfix products, but be aware that some of the cheap own brand products are pretty cheap and nasty, many sourced in China. Under powered, and whilst may work well when new, have a limited lifespan and may prove impossible to find spares. The older chain driven American models are almost indestructable, many are still ok after 15 yrs with zero attention. Low tech, cams and microswitches makes them maintainable for all time.

The modern Hormann products are not cheap, but of better quality than most others and seem to have a good back up service. They provide sophisticated self training operation with complex electronics.

The best advice to anyone self fitting is to ensure that that the manual door is working smoothly and is balanced properly before fitting an automation. Canopy doors (the cheaper type of door fitted by many developers) require a special bow arm or adaptor (often at extra cost) to ensure the motor drive can open / close at its limits, to provide a lift and push type of motion.

An automation is NOT a cure-all for a door that is difficult to operate manually!

Make sure that trips are set up correctly and push buttons installed as per manufacturers instructions. Safety is a real issue it is easy to amputate fingers with thoughtless operation of an incorrectly place push button. Children are particularly at risk.

--
pmh (was peter)

Automatic Garage Door Opener - volvoman
The Screwfix opener is a Chamberlain product and I'm told they've been around for many years.
Automatic Garage Door Opener - Cardew
The older chain driven American models are
almost indestructable, many are still ok after 15 yrs with zero
attention. Low tech, cams and microswitches makes them maintainable for all time.

I echo that. My brother has had the same one in his house in the USA for well over 20 years.

Some apartment blocks in the USA have the whole ground floor as a garage and can be used by 30 or more cars. The huge doors are operated by a flimsy looking chain drive opener that looks the same size as my small domestic model. However, despite the useage they get, they never seem to give problems.
Automatic Garage Door Opener - Cardew
There was a thread on this here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8671

The cheap chain driven model I got from Wickes is still working well after 6 +years.
Automatic Garage Door Opener - patently
We moved house last year to a place with a double width metal door that is too heavy for Mrs P. It also had a broken lock, so can't be opened from outside and was difficult enough from inside.

It was either replace the door or get a motor. Cost was about the same. Easy choice!

Try local garage door firms. We contacted three firms - one refused to come and quote, just said "about £350 but might be more", one agreed to come but phoned shortly before to check that we would be able to write a cheque there & then (no thank you), and one came and looked, sent a written quote for £250ish, spent a day in the garage and did a very smart job for the quoted amount.

The unit is a Hormann with two transmitters and an external key switch (that was extra - £50 ish, fitted). It is very quiet - quieter than me doing the door manually. The external keyswitch is very useful and well worth the cost.
Just one more comment ~ and at the risk of stating the obvious........

If (like mine) you can only disconnect the door from the drive mechanism from inside the garage, then a personal door to the garage is obsolutely essential. If anything goes wrong when you're not in the garage, you don't want to end up with your car forever entombed in the garage!

--
Automatic Garage Door Opener - puntoo
The door is a wooden up and over door with a track, not a canopy system. The door is made of plywood and it is heaving compared to previous metal doors that I have used.

The door is quite heavy to open even with the springs attached, so do I remove the spring mechanism when I fit the system or are they left on to aid the opener ? When pulling the door down it takes a real effort to pull the door shut, and opening it almost hits you in the face if you dont move fast enough. From what was said above it sounds like this needs some adjustment..

Whats the noise difference between a chain driven and a belt driven system ?

I have visions of opening up the garage and hearing a terrible clanking noise from the motor and chain when opening.
Automatic Garage Door Opener - borasport20
Looking at the screwfix site, don't forget you'll need the arm jobby at another £50. I also notice that what is in the picture on the screwfix site doesn't appear to be the whole job - just the arm with a light at the end of it - where is the motor, which on our (old) chamberlain is about 12"x12"x9
Ours was installed before we bought the property, and on balance, if it broke, I would 'revert to manual' for the following reasons -

1 - it is the mechanism that keeps the door closed, if you put any other sort of locking in place and open the door while it is locked, you can damage the mechanism
2 - if you are in the garage and there is a power cut ?
3 - remotes are too bulky to be in a pocket all the time, unlike your keyring
4 - our installation is about 10 years old and we can no longer get remotes for it - to upgrade it would cost more than a new installation
5 - yep, you dont have to get out of the car when you get home. But when you are at home and want to get the car, you will be surprised how much time you spend stood outside the garage waiting for the door to open enough !

hope this helps !

Automatic Garage Door Opener - pmh
to reply to Boras points

1 Locking is an issue, but it is easy to add upto 4 side operated locks which are released when motor drive takes up the load. This is then more secure than a normal manual door.

2 Modern drives have a pull release whic disconnects the door from the drive inside the garage. Most auto re engage when operated next time automatically.

3 Modern Remotes can be key ring size altho I prefer larger ones that you can find easily.

4 OK frequency allocations changed. Your old one was probably an illegal US import anyway, 90% were! How many people got prosecuted for an illegal transmitted pulse of less than 1 sec?
Modern devices use rolling codes and/or more complex encoding devices to prevent people surfing codes to find a door which opens when they drive down a street. Price of progress.

5 Install a push button in the house, door is then open by the time you get to the garage. Alt keep spare remote in the house to save having to wire pb.

Personally, I would NEVER go back to a manual door even if my discs were perfect.
--
pmh (was peter)

Automatic Garage Door Opener - Mike 996
Seeing this topic has reminded me I have a garage door opener I was going to sell on Ebay. Details in the classified section.
Mike.
Automatic Garage Door Opener - Dude - {P}
Having scratched the tailgate on my car many times with the old up & over type doors, when getting shopping out of the boot, I have fitted an auto roller door which is brilliant and definitely the least intrusive when opened. Having had it fitted now for 3 years, there is no way I would go back to the old type doors, - IMHO definitely the way to go.!!!
Automatic Garage Door Opener - Mapmaker
Have you tried greasing the moving parts, Puntoo? Might make it work better.