should i change cam chain? Rover 75 - bbroomlea{P}
Hi

My Rover 75 diesel is now on 205,000 and was wondering whether to change the cam chain. I have been to two separate dealers and they both advise that it doesnt need changing but gave me the number of Rover to check anyway as neither have seen a car with such a high mileage...

I havent called them yet but wondered what opinions people have as to what to do. Is it worth the expense to change it - more than likely with the tensioners etc, or will it go on for many more miles regardless?

Any advise appreciated as plan to keep car now at least 2 years with minimal unscheduled expense.
should i change cam chain? - chronyx
Don't diesels use cambelts?

I'd get it changed if it's never been done - the expense being minimal compared to a new engine if it lets go!
should i change cam chain? - Aprilia
If you change the chain you will need to change the sprockets too - it will be a very dear job.

Unless the chain is rattling a lot I would be inclined to leave well alone. I assume its a duplex chain - generally last amazing mileages. There is a chain-cam Nissan Primera taxi running around my area with 500k on the clock and the engine is original.

I have seen many Mercedes with that sort of mileage (all chain cam) and no problems.
should i change cam chain? Rover 75 - LukeMH
Hi
My Rover 75 diesel is now on 205,000 and was wondering
whether to change the cam chain. I have been to
two separate dealers and they both advise that it doesnt need
changing but gave me the number of Rover to check anyway
as neither have seen a car with such a high mileage...

haha, simular to my experience with Peugeot. I remember when I took my 1996 (which was quite new at the time) 406 in, with 126,000 on the clock, and they had never seen a peugeot with those sort of miles on it let alone their latest model car. If I remember rightly the service book only went up to 96,000 miles (or it may be 104,000 or something close to that) Anyway after calling over all the mechanics ("John.... John .... come and have a look at this ... 406 with 126,000 miles on it") they re-engaged their brains and worked out they could do the service schedule by dividing the number of miles by 9,000, and then counting ABCABCABC etc to work out the next due service was a B ... DOH!