Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - montpellier
If anyone out there has opinions on the X-Trail 2.2 Dci as i'd like to know if this is a reliable SUV and get some idea on motorway cruising fuel consumption. The main issues with this car have been cam belt (chain) adjustments and black smoke on early 2.2 112 Bhp engines.
Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - DavidHM
Sounds like you've read the Car By Car breakdown. If not, look at

www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m

It'd be hard to find a more positive review on the site.

Reliability seems to be excellent.

Looking at the figures ("36 mpg is genuinely realistic") then it looks as though you'd see 40 mpg or so on the motorway - given the large frontal area, high speed economy would probably be where the car would suffer compared to say, a Primera - around town there's probably not that much difference beyond that caused by any difference in weight.
Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - Aprilia
If anyone out there has opinions on the X-Trail 2.2 Dci
as i'd like to know if this is a reliable SUV
and get some idea on motorway cruising fuel consumption. The main
issues with this car have been cam belt (chain) adjustments and
black smoke on early 2.2 112 Bhp engines.

Well, like any 4x4 it will not have been designed with high-speed motorway cruising in mind. Its not very aerodynamic and has a large frontal area so expect (relatively) poor fuel consumption and more wind noise. Centre of gravity and roll-centre are also high c.f. a standard car and hence high-speed handling will be poorer than most saloons. You can't change the laws of physics. If you haven't driven a 4x4 before then give one a good try-out on the road.

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - Dude - {P}
Is the diesel sourced from Nissan or Renault, have checked the car x car summary, but this fact was not mentioned. ????
Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - Aprilia
This has been raised before. It think it is the Nissan engine (made in Spain) - but am open to correction of course.
Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - Ben79
The 2.2 Dci in the X-trail is a Nissan engine. It is not the same as the 2.2 Dci in the Laguna etc. The renault engine uses cam belts, the Nissan is a development of the older 2.2 in the X-trail which maintains the timing chain.

My uncle has bought a 2.2 Dci X-trail, only been in it as a passenger, but the engine is nicely hushed, but the absence of a low range gear box has resulted in Nissan putting stupidly low 1st and 2nd gear. The car seems happy on the level in 3rd, 4th or 5th. 6th gear gives about 2500 rpm at 70mph, so is like 5th in most diesel hatchbacks (on a 5 speed modern TD, eg Xsara, C5 etc).

My main criticisms are that the plastic covered boot, while wipe clean, seems to mark easily and the absence of much side protection. I guess car park knocks might show more than say, a Suzuki Vitara which has a lot more plastic moulding.
Thanks to everyone. I can handle 40 Mpg..it does what it say's in the brochure. Since we used the X-Trail on holiday to replace our broken down Mondeo Tdci the kids want one as much as I do! 500 hunrded mile drive and not the slightest squeek from the kids! Friends have been trying to put me off due to Mpg expectations. We got a great distance on a tank although kept well within the speed limits. These kind of cars tend to do that to you....slow you down! The driving position,huge sunroof and cubby holes are the plus points and I'll keep my fingers crossed on reliability. I've found seperate X-Trail boot covers on a website. I don't like add-on bars etc for the obvious reasons! I did read HonestJohn's review and keep reading it. It's time to throw-out the car mags, brochures and place an order! I do wonder if car manufacturers read these forums? My final choice is down to 3 or 4 cars: 407 SW,Volvo V50 d Estate and even the X-Type D estate and then this x-Trail came into our life by chance.....and completely changed our perception of mototring pleasure! All the above cars have something to offer but i'm at a loss to explain how we come to final decision....
Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - Ben79
I guessed more like 35mpg on 50% urban and 50% m-way. Uncle gets the same.
Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - No Do$h
I have a brand new X-Trail 2.2DCi SVE in the driveway this evening having picked it up at 18:45 for a 24 hour test drive. Initial impressions are that this does handle like many saloon cars and the acceleration and refinement are superb.

Will report back more after I've put 300 miles on it tomorrow and checked the economy (brim to brim, same filling station).

No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Just for fun I set up my sat nav on the iPaq and let it "compete" with that on the X-trail. Identical turn for turn, so it seems a safe bet that it runs the same software.

The satnav on the X-trail has a mileage log that seems to run independently of the odometer. Was within a couple of miles at the end of my 300mile day (or 298 mile day, depending on which you believe).

With a fairly enthusiastic right foot (these things cruise effortlessly at 100 on empty roads between 04:45 and 05:30....) and the usual accelerate-brake-accelerate that seems de-rigeur on the A34 these days I returned 32.5mpg compared with 36mpg in the Alfa which equates to around 55 gallons in a 25,000 year. To be fair, I found it so relaxing that I would be quite happy to let it pootle along at 85 or so to recover that mpg. The dashes in the Alfa are fun but tiring. I was rather refreshed after my drive in the X-trail.

Of note was the lack of road and engine noise when cruising. Conversely I found it a little noisy around town due to a slightly intrusive transmission whine which became inaudible above 40mph.

I'm now waiting for some figures from the dealership before I put pen to paper. If all goes well I think we could see me changing my name to Less Dosh......
I'm writing this from a hotel room in Lyon,France and it's snowing outside. It's great to see so many adding to the X-Trail debate. It seems this car (sorry SUV) has quite a following! I can't remember having such a positive feedback about a vehicule?
Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - VTiredeyes
dont you mean more do$h?
or could be big do$h
never mind, wonder if you have any friends & family that work for nissan, do they do a % off new?

i must admit the x-trail is a wicked motor, test drove one myself for a day. feels like driving a range rover with that large square bonnet. good pull-off, relaxed cruising, good motor imho.

yes your right, quick dashes are good fun but 17mpg in the scooby are bad. I might be changing my name to tiredwallet.
:-(
dont you mean more do$h?
or could be big do$h
never mind, wonder if you have any friends & family that
work for nissan, do they do a % off new?

One acquintance, the sales manager of the local dealership. Sadly one guaranteed way to put a mocker on things is to try and lever a discount out of him.

I have my ways...... :o)
Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - NowWheels
dont you mean more do$h?
or could be big do$h

Well, if he is currently No Do$h, but forks out for shiny new wheels, surely he will then be Very Negative Do$h?

[/pedant]
Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - Altea Ego
Ok so thats:

Mod "off shore account" Do$h with an L200 and now an X-trail

Mod Mark with a 100,000 ton Japanese oil tanker - Sorry Landcruiser

Mod Hugo with a Renault Traffic, - Sorry Nissan Primastar

and

Mod Dave with - well we know what.

Does size matter here guys?

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - Ex-Moderator
>>Mod Mark with a 100,000 ton Japanese oil tanker - Sorry Landcruiser

1) the Landcruiser is petrol, not diesel.
2) You forgot the Dodge Ram.

Nice to see that we have converted the bearded one away from his silly little toy car towards a couple of real vehicles. Now if we can just get Dave out of that Cavalier....
Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Dci-Opinions - Dynamic Dave
Now if we can just get Dave out of that Cavalier....

Says the man who owns a people carrier named after a chocolate bar.

Anyway, it's a Vectra if you don't mind. And no, you won't get me out of that either.