vauxhall astra airbag light on help - gingerwinger
tonight i left work car started fine drove 4 miles to local garage filled up with diesel jumped back into car went to start it and it was as flat. got it jumped all lights are as bright as a candle. started to drive it home then the stereo started to go on and off airbag light come on. is it the battery or the alternator.... its a 1.7td 1996 astra.
please help me...
vauxhall astra airbag light on help - Peter D
Corroded earth strap or battery connection. You should have checked those before posting. Regards Peter
vauxhall astra airbag light on help - plinth
I had a similar problem on my 1994 cavalier td and that was due to a faulty alternator.

Can be costly to replace, depending on your engine version (vauxhall or isuzu).

If there's any chance it might be your battery maybe you should try replacing that first, it will be a damn sight cheaper, but from the description is does sound exactly like the problems I had.
vauxhall astra airbag light on help - holly1
Exactly the same problem with our 1994 Astra 1.4, again it was due to faulty alternator.

We replaced it ourselves but light still kept coming on because the fault had not been cancelled out of the ECU - once that was done all was fine.
vauxhall astra airbag light on help - MW
Had a Passat do something similar years ago. 100 mile journey, then car dead on start up. Problem was a dead battery that produced 9 volts. Replacement = problem fixed. Some modern batteries just die suddenly. Try to do a battery swoop. Bet it starts first time, then invest in a new battery. How old is the old one?
ok the latest... wednesday night i removed the battery and charged it over night. back on car 12 hrs later and it started first time. drove to work 12 miles with lights on and heater fan on. car not started for two nights. started first time tonight. airbag light gone off stereo working fine all connections checked all ok. drove it about 3 miles tonight and now the rev counter has stoped working. but everything else is ok. its the 1.7 td isusi engine. the alternator has two pipes coming from the back of it. i have been told that they are servo pipes they think... i have heard that if the rev counter stops working then its 95% a alternator fault. can anyone shed some light on this problem. thanks for the replys so far...
vauxhall astra airbag light on help - David Horn
Try a new battery first of all. If charging the battery solved the problem temporarily, chances are it's not the alternator that's dodgy.
vauxhall astra airbag light on help - Aprilia
Its the alternator. The rev counter output is taken from one pahse of the alternator - so if rev counter dies then you have an alternator problem. The alternator has a vacuum pump in it to operate the brake servo - so only replace with the exact same type.
vauxhall astra airbag light on help - plinth
Memories memories!

You've just reminded me that the rev counter in my td cavalier also stopped working, I had no idea at the time it was related to my problem alternator though.

Mind you, I remember it wouldn't work at low revs but at high revs would suddenly start working, which in hindsight would kind of point to the alternator I suppose.
vauxhall astra airbag light on help - Peter D
You may find that the alternator brushes are worn out thus no charge current and very dim lights. With no field winding current the alternator outputs virtually nothing thus no signal for the rev counter. Replacement regulator/brush packs are £15 to £20 or so. Just run the engine and measure the voltage across the battery if it does not rise to at least 13.75 volts the alternator is at fault. Regards Peter
the astra is dead...... it stopped twice this morning going to work had to jump it. got to work had to jump it again at work so i could get it to the garage for repair engine ran for about 2 mins then stopped. in the end i kicked it and called the aa again. looks like a new alternator £158 +vat + labour...... OUCH
vauxhall astra airbag light on help - Richard J
It's definitely the alternator. My '94 Cav 1.7TD is now on it's 4th alternator from new. I now have a spare duff unit which I get repaired with a new diode pack for about £50. To swap alternators on the car is at least 2 hours if you've done one before; maybe twice that if the 1st time.

I was told that the airbag light comes on because of over voltage and that you should switch on heated rear screen etc to 'drain' some of the excess. I sure someone can give a more technical explanation.

Richard
vauxhall astra airbag light on help - Dynamic Dave
looks like a new alternator £158 +vat + labour...... OUCH

Ask www.autovaux.co.uk how much they'll sell you one for.
vauxhall astra airbag light on help - Astra Driver
I used to have an Astra 2.0 Diesel and the Airbag light came on after the battery died. I took the car back to my local dealer and got charged £40 to have the fault diagnosed on the computer. I stood and watched as the technician took less than 5 minutes to plug it in, press a couple of buttons and then he tells me the code was lost from the system!!! I got talking to the guy and he told me that the Astra does have a problem with losing the code, but its not a problem that warrents a recall!!! I would recommend any problems with the airbags you do get it checked out professionally as you never know when you may need them.

I've now changed to the New Astra and am more than happy with the new Astra.
vauxhall astra airbag light on help - LINCS

pre ‘04 the Astra motors aren’t compatible with standard diagnostic tools .. Vauxhall have special readers for them .. found out due to buying a reader and the compatibility fine print

vauxhall astra airbag light on help - RT

Gendan do a "VauxCheck" system which runs on alaptop