First 'service' - rhino
Just booked my Volvo XC90 in for it's first service, 3k or 3 month job.

Turns out it's not a service as such, just a look over. I'm told the first time it gets a 'proper' service is 12k or a year. Is this the norm these days, and if so can it be good for a new engine to run 12k on the factory oil? It's a diesel, BTW.
First 'service' - Roger Jones
Looks fairly typical to me. Factory fill for 12k seems in line with HJ's general advice about leaving it in long enough for things to bed in properly. As long as you continue to treat it well -- sensible revs regime, avoiding same speed for long periods, etc. -- you should be set fair for a long time, should you choose that course.
First 'service' - patently
The unusual thing is not the absence of any proper service until 12k - but the presence of a check at 3k.

What do they plan to look at?
First 'service' - rhino
Just got back from the garage. All I can confirm is that the vehicle was parked in a different bay when done two cups of coffee later, who knows what was done. The plus side is that it was free and now forms part of the service record.

Interestingly, Volvo in the USA have the first 'proper' service scheduled for 7,500 miles (although most XC90s there are petrol, if this makes any difference on the oil change front) - why on earth should the UK have theirs at 12k?
First 'service' - Truckosaurus
People in the States seem to be much keener on their oil changes, 3000miles is not uncommon, probably helped by the numerous 'while you wait' $20-all-in deals offer by most garages.
First 'service' - Dynamic Dave
Is this the norm these days,

Yep.

All these "short" service's that garages offer a month or two after buying is a fluid top up and a general look around to make sure nothing has fallen off or come loose.

First 'service' - smartnorthernmonkey
12,000 miles is perfectly fine. Modern oils for turbodiesels can easily take this mileage. My colleague has a current model Vectra 2.0DTi 16v that will go in for its first service at 30,000 miles!

As has been said, the surprise is the fact they wanted to see you before the first 12,000 miles!
First 'service' - Altea Ego
"Vectra 2.0DTi 16v that will go in for its first service at 30,000 miles!"

There is no way that a Vauxhall 2.0 DTi diesel will do 30,000 miles without having to have had its complete sump load of oil topped up! ;)
First 'service' - blue_haddock
Toyota's are now on a 1year/10k then 2year/20k service schedule. No need to bring in back untill it's a year old or done 10k.
First 'service' - rhino
Thanks all, reassured.
Still don't get why Volvo have varying service intervals (and a 5k differential is substantial) for the same vehicle in different countries.
First 'service' - Bromptonaut
Thanks all, reassured.
Still don't get why Volvo have varying service intervals (and a
5k differential is substantial) for the same vehicle in different countries.

>

Just a guess but might be something to do with operating conditions and differing climates?
First 'service' - v8man
I'm sorry but any driver who thinks their oil will last 12k miles is seriously deluding themselves. These ridicuously long service intervals are to satisfy fleet managers who only condsider running costs. Honest John has repeated this many times in his column.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
First 'service' - P 2501
No american would want to leave the oil in their sump any longer than 5-7000 miles or so, let alone 12.
First 'service' - Ex-Moderator
>>These ridicuously long service intervals are to satisfy fleet managers who only condsider running costs. Honest John has repeated this many times in his column.

He has also said that the new, more efficient oils, do not allow the engines to wear in the early days as older oils did. This is apparantly why they continue to use oil.

That being so, then surely this would mean that oil change periods *CAN* be longer and also, given that HJ's advice is also never to change the first oil too early because its better for the engine to wear in, means that oil changes *SHOULD* be left longer.
First 'service' - v8man
Please dont shout Mark, I'm not stupid. I agree that newer oils are more efficient. This can be taken to extremes though and 12k miles is far too long to leave oil in the sump.

As part of my job, I take oil samples from the plastic processing machinery I work on and send it for analysis. This is to determine when it needs changing (Average machine has 100 gallons in so we do not want to do uneccessary changes). The point being that even clean looking oil can be very contaminated with various metals, acids and varnishes. Also, this gives early indication of any components starting to fail. Obviously, I'm not advocating car owners do this!

New cars and bikes are usually filled with mineral oil for bedding in as synthetic will prevent proper bedding in. The motor should be fine however for synthetic after about 5k miles.

When a new engine is bedding in there is all sorts of debris being pumped around the engine. Do you really want that for 12k miles or longer? It is like having grinding paste in the sump. Also, don't assume the filter is collecting all of this either.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"