Alfa woes & Test of New GT - tr7v8
Wed. before Xmas the clutch started slipping on my Alfa 156 JTD. Its was due a 96,000 service and for the airbag light to be investigated.
Actually picked it up yesterday, clutch problem turned out to be a leaking rear seal, ECU was the problem for the airbag light. Clutch takes 7.7 hours on this one! Even dealer was surprised.... Total bill was £ 1,260...Had a 156 JTS on loan which averaged 32MPG and goes quite well, this one was on 17s although not sure that I like the styling off the new wheels, prefer the 16s Veloce ones on mine.
Also test drove Alfa GT 1.9MJ whilst there. This one had leather, 17s & winter comfort pack. Highly impressed, steering slightly sharper than a 156 and very very much tighter than the 156 2.0JTS I'd just given back. However my 2000 JTD SPortwagon he valued at £ 3K and the demo GT is £ 22K so it looks like a non starter which is a shame.

JIm
Alfa woes & Test of New GT - volvoman
£1260 repair on a 4-5 year old car valued at £3k - ouch!!!!
Alfa woes & Test of New GT - bartycrouch
£1260 repair on a 4-5 year old car valued at £3k
- ouch!!!!

Or more relistically, 5 year old car requires more than its share of expensive repairs and therefore valued at 3K
Alfa woes & Test of New GT - No Do$h
Eeek! Mines a 2000 2.4JTD Sportwagon as well. Luckily I still have 36,000 miles before I hit TR7's mileage, but I'll have this in mind when the clutch starts to go.

The GT is a peach isn't it. Shame I can't bring myself to have faith in the dealer network and importer. My local dealership has just closed so I now have a 40 mile drive. Hmmmm....
Seemingly age isn't the issue an average miles version of mine would book at £ 5,700 so its the mileage that kills it, NDs is around the average. I suspect I could sell privately for more as someone will desire a diesel 156 of my spec because they're quite rare.
Given the mileage I do I was in a no win situation, if I buy a newer car then all I do is get hit with massive depreciation because of the 40K miles a year. He sales guy did admit that mine won't drop very much further.

Jim
Alfa woes & Test of New GT - romeo156
I looked at changing my 1999 156 but was offered £4K.

Could not bear to part with it for that, it is worth more than £4K to me and I still get the same excitement 5 years on. Never kept a car for this long.

Alfa woes & Test of New GT - Martin Sweeney
My Sportwagon is coming up on £100k and has had 2 new gearboxes and a new 3rd gear on the second box??? This latter work sounded odd but I'm not a mechanic. First gear box in the first year at around 20k, I was gobsmacked, and the second on at the start of 2004 at about 70k. The car has been off the road so often that I've probably forgotten most of the problems and what with it being a company car I long since stopped getting wound about it and just enjoyed it when I had it. In spite of all the problems I still adore it's incomparable beauty inside and out and the sheer class and character of that 2.4 diesel engine. It still excites me to drive and despite the grief I will be sad to hand it back. Anyone picking up a decent one of these for £4 or £5k will be getting a gem.
Seemingly age isn't the issue an average miles version of mine
would book at £ 5,700 so its the mileage that kills
it, NDs is around the average. I suspect I could sell
privately for more as someone will desire a diesel 156 of
my spec because they're quite rare.
Given the mileage I do I was in a no win
situation, if I buy a newer car then all I
do is get hit with massive depreciation because of the 40K
miles a year. He sales guy did admit that mine won't
drop very much further.
Jim

If you do decide to sell, give me a shout. A friend is so impressed by mine that he wants to get one for commuting (his normal car is a scooby-doo)
Oh well back to the dealer yesterday as the exhaust had settled on the 156 and banged occasionally.
Got into conversation with dealer about the GT that I'd tested. Eventually after test driving a 600 mile 04 plated Spider and driving the GT again with the Mrs. And a lot of haggling I signed on the dotted line for the GT. Alfa Red, 2,700 miles 1.9Mjet diesel, 17inch, comfort pack and black leather.....

Oh my god what have I done? Most expensive car I'll have ever brought......
Question is it worth fitting a Tracker?

Jim
Alfa woes & Test of New GT - trancer
Congratulations on the car, I saw my first GT in the flesh on Saturday. It was stopped in a line of oncoming traffic and I actually slowed down and looked as I was passing. I don't even do that for Ferraris anymore. Can't think of a more beautiful coupe currently on offering.

If I had fully comp insurance on it, I wouldn't bother with a tracker.
Alfa woes & Test of New GT - Martin Wall
Question is it worth fitting a Tracker?

I shouldn't bother. If the car's not outside your house it won't have been stolen, it'll just be getting fixed at your local dealer :-)

Just kidding - it's a great looking car - enjoy!
If you got that £3k for your sportwagon, well done! I have been offered £4k on my 60,000 mile 2000/X against a new X-trail...... and the local dealer expects me to pay full list for the X-trail.

Guess who won't be getting my order if I go ahead.
I actually got £ 4,150 however having given it some thought I'm now not so sure of the deal. I didn't realise until signing that the finance is over 5 years which I'm very unhappy about.
Although they have £ 1,236 of my money that is purely to settle the outstanding finance on mine. Their is no deposit on the new one. Where do I stand if I cancel this morning? The T & Cs on the back of the document state ancelling looses the deposit, however the order form has no deposit on it.

Jim
John,

what would it have made otherwise do you think.
Looks like they've cancelled it and refunding my monies.

Jim