Honda CG125 - Greg R
I am thinking of buying a CG125 and would like some advise and information from former and current owners.

I would like to know how economical they are (mpg wise).
Where can I get a fairing and screen from for this bike?
And how can I spot a good second hand one?

Thanks in advance
Greg
Honda CG125 - Greg R
Also, do you have any details of websites to get parts including fairing and screen for the CG125?

Honda CG125 - Robin Reliant
Never owned a CG, but had one as a courtesy bike a couple of times. Good for about 85-90mpg, been around for donkeys years and absolutely bullit proof. You would have a job getting a fairing for a small comuter like that, but there are plenty of small windscreens on the market which are surprisingly effective at keeping the worst of the windblast off you. Add a pair of handlebar muffs and you would have as much protection as most fairings would give you anyway.

Look for signs that the bike has been dropped, scuffed bars and levers etc, and make sure the chain and sprockets are not on the way out. Other than that, usual rules when buying second hand apply. Best source for aftermarket stuff is www.mandp.co.uk.
Honda CG125 - johncyprus
Had a S reg CG 125 last year which I used for commuting. For short journeys they are superb, mine would do 60-65mph flat out and do 100 plus mpg. Bullet proof old tech OHV engine and not much to go wrong. Usual advice about buying, the state of the owner will usually reflect the state of the bike, make sure the engine doesn't rattle ,everything else is easy to fix. I put two new tyres on mine and it handled like a dream, no good for a long run but absolutely ideal as a commuter/second bike.
Honda CG125 - NARU
I passed my bike test on one, about 5 days before the direct access rules came in. The bike centre I used had about 50 of them - many with 40-50,000 miles. The engines and gearboxes really are reliable. I remember them as being a bit 'flexible', especially in a side wind. Indeed, I couldn't believe the difference when I moved up to a bigger bike.

I think they're almost depreciation-proof if you buy an older one. As long as you keep it serviced, it'll always sell on!
Honda CG125 - Greg R
It seems that the CG is very reliable and ok for about 60000 miles if serviced properly.

But, can anyone tell me where I can get a cheap screen from for this marvelous bike. Also, does it have a seperate oil filter, and if so where are they located?

Honda CG125 - Greg R
Also, how many miles per gallon do these bikes do. I have seen varying opinions from owners ranging from 85mpg to 110 mpg. Which is correct??
Honda CG125 - oldpostie
I had several of these very reliable bikes. I took one to a motorcycle rally in Sopron, Hungary in 1989. I filled its little tank near Huntingdon and not again till Moenchengladbach. It was well loaded down but no trouble. On that trip it averaged 122 mpg.
I often used it for a weekend commute from York to Northampton. It was 100% reliable, unlike the Renault car which was newer, but a heap of rubbish.
Honda CG125 - Greg R
What is likely to go wrong with this motorcycle. Also, does Kymcos CK125 have the same engine as the CG?
Honda CG125 - Greg R
Does anyone know if the CK125 shares the same engine. And what would be the worst MPG I should expect from the CG125 commuting in central Greater London.
Honda CG125 - Robin Reliant
Assuming you mean the Kymco CK125, then Kymco manufacture their own engines. In fact they supply engines to other motorcycle producers, and have a reputation for good engineering. Most of the 125 singles made in the far east are based on honda or Yamaha designs.

On a small single cylinder I don't think fuel economy would be that much different from the norm whether commuting in Central london or not.
Honda CG125 - Greg R
Does anyone know then what the Kymco Pulsar or the Kymco CK125 are based on engine wise?
Honda CG125 - Greg R
I haven't seen this point mentioned anywhere, but would like to know about owners experiences of the CG125 as a bike, including its relative ease of service, reliability and what has gone wrong (I know the alternators go, but how much do they cost)

Any advise/ info would be of interest.
Honda CG125 - Greg R
I read these detailed review, and wondered which one would be more specific to the new CG's out there.

HONDA CB125K1970-72,[snip] detailed review removed for copyright concerns. Mark.
Honda CG125 - Vansboy
I'm not a biker, but always point people to www.forcemotorcycles.com talk to Nick, there.

He knows his stuff & the machines he sells are all ex MOD & Police - so you might find something there.

VB
Honda CG125 - Ex-Moderator
Greg,

I am a little concerned that somebody else's review has been posted here word for word - the author may not be happy with that. Therefore I have removed it, and if you wish to repost something, then please just link to the original article.

Also, whilst I have no objections to motorcycle threads, you'll probably not find the specific knowledge that you are looking for and may be better trying a bike oriented forum.

Lastly, I am a little curious as to what is behind this. You have at least 10 different registrations to the Backroom (and perhaps more that I would find if I looked carefully); a number of which we have disabled over a period of time for one issue or another. You are persisting with a detailed bike thread in an essentially car oriented forum. You are posting full reviews from elsewhere.

If, and I stress "if", you have an ulterior motive, then I cannot imagine what it could be. But I am watching and wondering.