Lorry wheels in the air - smokie
Driving round the M25 today, Mrs S asked me why lorries carry their spare wheels up in the air instead of somewhere else. Y'know, on a dual axle (sometimes on the tractor unit, sometimes at the back of the lorry), a wheel is about a foot off the ground and not in use.

I patiently started to explain that they can be engaged or dis-engaged, and that they are engaged when the lorry is loaded to give better grip & traction. I've convinced myself (and Mrs S) that that is the reason, but is it, really?
Lorry wheels in the air - Imagos
I think this is something to do with weight tax limits, duty payable per wheels on ground or simular, it's along these lines i'm sure. Nothing to do with traction.
Lorry wheels in the air - Tomo
Hello Smokie!

I THINK the reason is that when they are fully loaded they need all wheels on the ground to be within permitted axle loadings, but when lighter they pick up an axle to reduce a length of rigid wheelbase to cut down tyre scrub and wear when cornering.

Let's see if that's a good guess!
Lorry wheels in the air - Altea Ego
They have broken springs.
Lorry wheels in the air - bonfire
The axle is lifted sometimes automatically sometimes manually it also saves fuel and tyre wear when running light or empty. The extra exles is their to either run the vehicle at higher weights, to spread the load or to reduce road tax rates

Grip is better with the axle in its up position (at least that was the case when my father used to run trucks a few years ago)
another lorry question. - Imagos
Sort of on topic, another truck question: why do trucks park in laybys at night with one door open at the back? See this all the time. Mystified me for a long while.
another lorry question. - Pugugly {P}
Normally empty - to convince our light fingered friends that there was no point in breaking in
another lorry question. - Imagos
Ah! good reason. Thanks PU.
another lorry question. - bonfire
To show they have nothing worth stealing, it saves them having the curtains cut, cargo area broken into or their doors being left unsecured should someone take a look
lorry wheels in the air - Imagos
Sorry Smokie, i hijacked your thread! back to topic, Yes I'm sure it's a tax revenue thing. Just tried a google but couldn't find anything. Hopefully a trucker will be along shortly to reveal all!
lorry wheels in the air - bonfire
Can you not see my post imagos?
lorry wheels in the air - Imagos
D'oh! missed it! sorry
lorry wheels in the air - Rob C
Another hijack! Why do trucks have sticky-out front wheel hubs while all the other wheels have inset rims?

Why do passenger jets have headlights beaming out whilst flying? It's not like they're going to come up behind another jet quickly.
lorry wheels in the air - Bromptonaut
Why do passenger jets have headlights beaming out whilst flying? It's
not like they're going to come up behind another jet quickly.

Can't give chapter and verse but IIRC they're put on below 10000 feet to make the a/c easier to see. The speed differential jet/jet may not be great but there's plenty of slower and lighter stuff at the lower levels as well. In controlled airspace all should be under observation and managment by ATC but even then mistakes are made. At some airports, Newcastle is one such, a/c leave controlled airspace between the airway system and the area under airport control.
another lorry question. - BobbyG
So does that therefore infer that if one of the doors is not open then it definitely has stock aboard! Makes it easier for the thief?
another lorry question. - trancer
I think it is safe to infer that if it has stock aboard then no doors will be open 8-)
Lorry wheels in the air - Avant
Sticky-out front hubs - that used to be for the driver to step on when climbing into the cab. Perhaps just a tradition now that most have steps?

Jets with lights on - that'll be the Swedish airline.
Lorry wheels in the air - PatrickO
Sticky out hubs are if you only have one wheel or tyre on the axle. Sticky in hubs are if there are two wheels or tyres on the axle. I think.
Lorry wheels in the air - smokie
Thanks for the replies guys...

It must be more than coincidence, but in yesterday's survey the raised wheels always had sticky out hubs whereas those on the ground were sticky in...I guess Patrick's reply is sensible, in that the "optional" axle has two wheels only.
Lorry wheels in the air - Cliff Pope
When I read the original post I assumed "spare wheel" meant spare wheel. I have often noticed that lorry spare wheels are bolted horizontally hanging underneath a bracket. Do they use a jack to lift it into position, or are lorry drivers phenomenally strong? Try lifting a car wheel at arm's length!
Spare wheel - bonfire
The spare wheel is on a pulley that you wind down using the wheel brace.

However it is rare for lorries to carry spare wheels
Lorry wheels in the air - klystron
Patrick, Smokie, I think we are getting there. The way I see it is that the sticky out bit on the wheel is so that on a twin wheeled set up you need to mate two similar sticky out wheels 'back to back' to give you the required space between the wheels. i.e. mate the sticky out bit of one wheel against the sticky out bit of the second wheel and then mount them on the axle together. You can see from this that the four wheels which make up a twin wheeled axle can then all be exactly the same so can be swapped around and changed easily. This now means that the vehicles spare wheel also needs to be compatible with the set up on both the twin wheeled rear axle, and the single wheeled front axle. The best practice for this is to use exactly the same type of 'sticky out' wheel at the front that also fits on the rear but with the 'sticky out' bit sticking out.

With regard to the lifting axles on trucks I should think most of them only have a single wheel at each side so they also will look 'sticky out' to ensure spare wheel compatibility with the twin wheel set up on the vehicles.

Next time you see a twin wheeled white van (or probably easier to see a twin wheeled transit type builders truck) take a good look at the rear wheel set up compared to the front wheel and all will be clear (I think).
Lorry wheels in the air - Peter D
Many lorry companies lease their tyres on a pence per mile basis and do not own the tyre. When the load is light the wheels are lifted to avoid charges for that pair. When laden of course the load has to be appropriately distributed across the available axles to comply with the weight per axle limits. Some lorries carry a mileometer on the centre of the liftable axle and some are details on the Tachograph and this is provided to the tyre lease company. Regards Peter
Lorry wheels in the air - bonfire
Leased tyres! Never heard off such a scheme. Most companies lease the lorry. I have seen the mileometers on trailers but never on the lorry itself but that is for servicing purposes. How would a tachograph provide details of how many miles a vehicle has traved with its axle lifted?
Lorry wheels in the air - tr7v8
Certainly heard of leased tyres on buses in an article a few years ago about buying classic buses/coaches for private ownership and display. Apparently you bid on the bus however the cost of the tyres is added on top dependant on mileage/treadwear.

Jim
Lorry wheels in the air - Imagos
The correct terminology is 'inny' and outy' i'll fink you'll find.
Lorry wheels in the air - PatrickO
Steady, now we're just getting too technical.
Lorry wheels in the air - Mondaywoe
I once had a bellybutton like that. Don't know where it's disappeared to these past few years.........

Graeme
Lorry wheels in the air - Vansboy
Leaving the doors open indicates to the thieves,they should only spend their time, stealing your diesel, instead.This is much less time consuming, than unloading the vehicle & only requires a smaller number of them, to intimidate you whilst calling the Police.

VB
Lorry wheels in the air - trancer
"to intimidate you whilst calling the Police."

The time it takes to reach for the mobile, the truck driver could have selected first gear and driven away 8-)
Lorry wheels in the air - Sofa Spud
Echoing what others have said, lifting axles save tyre wear and reduce rolling resistance on empty or partly loaded vehicles. Lifting axles are non-driven, so lifting an axle can transfer weight to a driven axle to aid traction but this can put the drive axle over its weight limit in the process.

The other day I saw a long 3-axle rigid with its rear axle lifted. This reminded me of the legal argument over such vehicles that existed years ago - I imagine it's been resolved by now. It's to do with wheelbase and rear overhang. The rear overhang of a vehicle must not exceed 60% of the wheelbase. On a multi-axle rigid the wheelbase is the distance between the outermost wheel centres. On some vehicles with a rearmost lift-axle, if that axle is lifted it makes the effective rear overhang in excess of 60% of the effective wheelbase! This has implications bacause of the outsweep of the tail end when turning.

Cheers, Sofa Spud