Air Con working ? - Ex-Moderator
How do you know if the air con is working when its damn cold outside anyway ?
Air Con working ? - frostbite
Put the heater + blower on, then switch in the a/c and you should feel the blowing air get cooler.
Air Con working ? - cheddar
Put the heater + blower on, then switch in the a/c
and you should feel the blowing air get cooler.

Not with climate control you don't, best way is speed of demist on a cold damp day, with aircon or climate on the demist will be much quicker due to it dehumidifying the air.
Air Con working ? - Humpy
The aircon on my old Vectra didn't function with the external temp below 3 degrees. Something to do with the condenser potentially freezing. On the 320, I have tried turning the aircon on and off and at cold external temps there is no audible click from under the bonnet so I assume the compressor is not cutting in.
Therefore frostbite's suggestion won't necessarily work because, on some vehicles, it depends on the ext. temp whether the a/c works or not.
Air Con working ? - Ex-Moderator
the demist will be much quicker due to it dehumidifying the air.

No it doesn't. Or, at least, I don't think it does.

The dehumidifying effect is not a primary or even intrinsic function of air conditioning but is rather a side effect from blowing hot air (from the car) over a cold surface (the air con rad) and then returning it to the car without the condensation.

If you're blowing air through the aircon without the air being significantly warmer than the aircon then there will be no dehumidifying effect.
If it's 'damn' cold outside then how do you know if it's the air con working or the fan blowing in unairconned air from the cold exterior??
Air Con working ? - frostbite
If it's 'damn' cold outside then how do you know if
it's the air con working or the fan blowing in unairconned
air from the cold exterior??

>>

Put it on 'recirculate'?

However, agree on the 3C limit cutoff - not currently a problem though.
Air Con working ? - kenl
In my VW Golf the AC does not work below 3C. Believe it is so any ice in the unit does not cause any damage.
Air Con working ? - Bromptonaut
Xantia and presumably other PSA kit also disenables the air con in potential freezing conditions. Didn't find that out until I reported mine as packed up last winter!

There was quite a detailed thread a year or so ago where air con fuctioning and cold weather were explored. I think the short answer to Mark's question is you need to wait for the temperature to rise, demist and the audible operation of fans and relays then might at least provide some pointers.

Air Con working ? - trancer
If you can see it, look for the compressor clutch engaged and spinning. The pulley spins regardless, but when you turn on the aircon the outer part of the compressor spins also. When I bought my car on a rather cold day in Oct 2003, the seller tried demonstrating functioning aircon by pressing the dash button then proclaiming that the air blowing was cold. With the bonnet up I pointed out to him that the compressor was not turning and the cold air he was feeling was just the ambient cold air. I only got £200 knocked off the price though.
Air Con working ? - Stuartli
The aircon on my VW Bora works whatever the outside temperature - however, as seems general, there is a recirculation cutoff point when you switch to demist mode at temperatures of four degrees C or lower.

Apparently it's to prevent condensation and subsequent misting up of the interior windows.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by