Value of optional extras - enr1
I know that most optional extras don't increase the value of a second hand car (vs one without extras) and also not having the 'right' options can also make it very difficult to sell a car (ie a BMW X5 with no leather).

What about options such as semi automatic transmission though? For example I'm interested in the new golf GTI which has the option of a DSG gearbox (cost £1.5k). Am I likely to lose this full £1.5k after three years or will I get a proportion back? I'd really like this gearbox, but don't fancy losing an extra £1.5k in depreciation for having it.

Any thoughts?
Value of optional extras - daveyjp
I'm also looking at a DSG Audi A3. All the reports I've read say this gearbox is the only sensible option with the 2.0TDi engine. After driving a manual and a DSG A3 I believe this is the case, the problem is converting people to this new technology in a land where manual is king - until people believe its better they may not be prepared to pay for it.

I have driven smart cars for 4 years so know how much better an auto clutch manual is to drive. IMHO I think the DSG is worth it purely for the driving experience. Looking at the Audi stock list ex demo DSG cars command a premium of about £1,000 over a manual version.
Value of optional extras - Canon Fodder

Enr1,

A quick thought is that the DSG gearbox is very new technology and if problems come to light with it over the next 3 years you could lose a lot more than £1500 if you wait until the warranty has expired before trying to offload it.

CF.
Value of optional extras - Aprilia
Personally I wouldn't touch an out-of-warranty DSG.
Value of optional extras - Bill Payer
Personally I wouldn't touch an out-of-warranty DSG.

I think that this is yet another one of those 'time-bomb' features, where the cost of repairing it doesn't bear thinking about, and you're going to be looking at writing the car off if it goes wrong at 5 or 6 years old.
Value of optional extras - Ex-Moderator
"DSG" ?
Value of optional extras - Bill Payer
"DSG" ?

It's just another TLA :-)
See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=91
Value of optional extras - P 2501
I think i would be inclined to wait a while and see how reliable these gearboxes turn out to be. This is unproven technology (in this form) really.

I would strongly suspect that you would not get your money back on one of these.
Value of optional extras - NARU
Its hard to be sure, but there seem to be lots of warranty replacement DSG boxes. A cynical view would be that VW/Audi are prepared to bear this as they're gaining huge market share at the moment [I can't think of any other car with such a good MPG, CO2 rating and performance]. I would personally be very wary of buying one with my own money until its proven reliable. But I very nearly bought one as a company car.
Value of optional extras - enr1
Thanks for that - so it doesn't look like DSG is financially worthwhile. Hadn't thought I'd lose more than £1.5k by having it (esp as I plan to keep the car for about 3yrs).

I'm now beginning to wonder about whether leather at £1.5k is worth it. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.
Value of optional extras - john deacon
no leather isnt good value (how much is a leather suite for your home?) and will not hold its value
Value of optional extras - Altea Ego
Leather? In a golf? No retained value at all.
Value of optional extras - BrianM
Extras like leather might not add a great deal of value, but they are nice to have whilst you own the car and definitely make it a more attractive proposition when you come to sell - most would-be buyers will go for a car with a good spec over one with a poor spec every time. That said, if you are buying new, some extras cost far too much.