Hit Kerb. V. hard. - Dave
I've just hit the kerb of a bollard square at speed.

Rim is dented and tyre split. There is now a 'wobbling' sensation.

I shall be replacing the wheel at lunchtime. Is this wobbling likely to be the rim or can I expect more problems?

Car doesn't pull to left or right at all...
Re: Hit Kerb. V. hard. - Stuart B
Dave,

By replacing wheel do you mean putting the spare on and the wobbling is on the wheel which hit the kerb? If you've already changed the wheel, hmmmm!

If nothing else you will have to have a damn good look round in case any suspension component is bent. The fact that there is no pulling, presumably under all power conditions, on/cruise/overrun/braking then that could be a good sign as is the hit it square. But I would not feel happy until the boiler suit had been well and truly grubbied underneath and I had had a good gorilla like swing on everything if you get my drift. Lets face it a kerb edge is just like a big pothole but in reverse looking at it very simply.

Oh and ditch the wheel, you might think its only the rim thats bent but give it a spin once its up in the air and you will get a surprise.

How come you hit a kerb, don't be coy, you know we don't bite.

cheers,
S
Re: Hit Kerb. V. hard. - Dan J
Agreed - hey it's your life! Why risk it for the sake of spending 30 quid on a wheel realignment and having someone check the car over.

I did this once, replaced the wheel of the car and drove away, simply getting the wheel replaced at a later date. Mate of mine from uni also did something similar, replaced the wheel, and about 200 yards up the road the steering rod came away from the wheel leaving one "free" from the steering. He was only going walking pace at the time, you might not be...
Re: Hit Kerb. V. hard. - Dave
Dan J wrote:
>
> Agreed - hey it's your life! Why risk it for the sake of
> spending 30 quid on a wheel realignment and having someone
> check the car over.

Much better if I have a good poke around in the car park when I change the wheel.

My boiler suit & tools live in my car. I took them out this weekend 'cos I used the tool box decorating.

Sods law. No tools and my work clothes!
Re: Hit Kerb. V. hard. - Dave
Stuart B wrote:
>
> Dave,
>
> By replacing wheel do you mean putting the spare on and the
> wobbling is on the wheel which hit the kerb? If you've
> already changed the wheel, hmmmm!

Nope the knackered one is on. Only had a few yards into work.

> But I would not feel happy until the
> boiler suit had been well and truly grubbied underneath and I
> had had a good gorilla like swing on everything if you get my
> drift.

I shall be doing that.

> Oh and ditch the wheel, you might think its only the rim
> thats bent but give it a spin once its up in the air and you
> will get a surprise.

If the tyre stays up the wheel will become my 'spare' but have no fear it will be for emergency use only.

> How come you hit a kerb, don't be coy, you know we don't bite.

I'm pretty ashamed of myself.

At the front of a queue. Two lanes at Traffic Lights merging into one lane further up. I was in the outside lane. The person outside me wouldn't let me in off the lights so I stayed out trying to get in front. At the critical moment with a bollard approaching, I should have braked and come in behind I thought 'Sod it, if I'll floor it, when they see I'm going to hit the bollard they'll *have* to let me in in front.'

They didn't. I hit the kerb of the bollard with a sickening thump at a hell of a lick.

I'm too old to be doing childish stupid and dangerous things like that.