Audi 80 headlights - Dev
I've got a 1995, M reg Audi 80 2.0E, and over the past few months I've noticed that the headlights (dipped beam) don't seem to be very bright, in fact I find it difficult to drive on motorways and on country lane at night. Yes I have checked that both bulbs are working and the lens are clean and I know my eyesight is okay as I don't have the same problem with our other 2 year old car. Is it something to do with the age of the car and that the reflective lens in the headlight are not as effective now (no sign of rust or water penetration). I was considering changing the bulbs to something brighter or different. Can someone throw light on this problem (sorry) or advise what I could do or what are the best type of bulbs to get for motorway/country lane driving etc. Thanks
Audi 80 headlights - IanW3
Dev,

My 1992 Audi 90 showed similar problems.

1. Replacing the 4 year old reflectors and lenses showed a significant improvement.
2. Replacing the H4 bulbs with Osram Silver Stars helped (more with the colour temperature than the brightness) www.powerbulbs.co.uk
3. Rewiring the bulbs to be powered straight from the alternator via 40 Amp relays made the biggest improvement (the Autocheck system was dropping 2 volts in the loom). 20v.org/light.htm#rewire

The lighting is now on a par with modern (non-HID) vehicles, and considerably better than my wife's MR2.

Should all else fail, and your A80 have the necessary washers/levellers then a HID kit is available - www.vagparts.com/pages/HID_install.htm

Ian.
Audi 80 headlights - Dev
Ian

Thanks for your comments. Certainly replace the existing bulbs for the Osram Silver Stars and get some quotes for some new reflector and lens. Option 3 sound a bit ambitious for me. Some useful web site as well. Thanks again

Dev