Corsa Stereo Connections - chris_w
Don't know if this is something anyone has knowledge of. I've just installed a new Sony headunit in my Corsa, but the unit never remembers stations etc. I've discovered the continous power supply connects to a wire (through the leads Sony supply to the vauhxall fittings)- but have no idea what wire this is.

I've looked through the Corsa manual and the original stereo manual and still can't find a diagram of what each vauxhall wire is.

Also if (and when) I do find the correct connection, how do I change the pins in the sony lead - they seem to be stuck fairly tight and no amount of pulling with pliers works.

All help / advice warmly welcomed.
Corsa Stereo Connections - Deryck Tintagel
In reverse order:

The pins on the connectors will probably have locking barbs or a locking plate to prevent the pins being removed. I would guess on the barbs - usually two. You can depress these using tweezers or fine nose pliers before removing the connection from the housing.

The permanent supply should be a red wire on the original harness. Black will be ignition and brown ground. If you have the original Vauxhall stereo look at the connector at the back. There will be a legend showing which pin is which - red is numbered 30, brown 31 and black 15.
Corsa Stereo Connections - mfarrow
Common problem I found out myself and also a friend of mine. You need to reverse the pernament live and ignition feeds. Then it'll store stations. I presume this is what you are trying? The stereo will only work with both these wires 'on'.
Which connection should I try to switch over? The one coming from the car or the one from the stereo?

Also with the plug coming from the stereo, I cannot see how to change the pins round. I have tried poking the pin with a pair of tweezers and a thin screwdriver but have not been able to dislodge it - any tips on how to do this? The plug is black plastic and the pins are set in halfway down it.

Cheers
Corsa Stereo Connections - Civic8
Your power supply is on one plug..Earth is brown..the main supply to radio is large cable (from ignition). sorry I forget the colour.smaller cable is memory.forget the earth its the 2 power cables that need changing round..To make it easier why not get the adapter.£12-15 pounds job sorted.IIRC third socket is the display..which you wont need unless bought specifically for this reason
--
Steve
Shouldn't the unit have come with an instruction book telling you which wire's which going into the unit (i.e. red-live, black-ignition)?

What model is it (the Sony I mean!)?
Corsa Stereo Connections - holly1
I fitted a Sony stereo in my Corsa. Two of the wires coming from the stereo had connectors half way down them, so they could easily be swapped around without having to pull the wires out of the plug at the end. I am useless at electrics so fitted it one way, found the memory blank each morning, so then swapped them around and bingo it works fine.
I know which wire is which on the sony end of things - it's from the car that i'm unsure of.

The model is a CDX R3300. The guy in Halfords said it would be a waste of money buying a cable to connect the two - he said I'd "just need to move one of the connections" - to which I assumed would be a simple job.

I'll try swapping the two wires ronud that you suggest daisy1 - do they just unplug?

Was dead chuffed with myself for seeming to have installed this without any trouble until the second time I turned it on and there was nothing - oh well guess I'll learn something from this.

Cheers for everyones help.
I'm looking at

pdf.crse.com/manuals/3260838111.pdf

Right, I presume you've got a smaller connector that Sony provided which goes into the unit. Attached via wires is two black connectors. I presume you are using these two black connectors to plug into your cars wiring? Maybe via an adaptor?

You need to swap the red and yellow wires round. You can do this either by finding locking barbs at the base of the pins as Deryck suggested. Push these in using a watch-repair screwdriver and THEN pull on the wire, it should then come out. If you try pulling on the wire as you push the barbs in, they'll just jam up against the plastic, like they're designed to!

Failing this, and having a soldering iron, you can chop the red and yellow wires and solder yellow/red red/yellow. Remember to insulate the wires. If you haven't got an iron, connector blocks will do (though not recommended by people on here). Remember this is a last resort as it'll look untidy from the back and you'll have to unsolder the wires and swap them round again if you ever find you have to in a different car.
Success! I swapped the yellow and red leads round half way down each. They actually have metal connectors along each which I thought were soldered together but were in fact just slotted in to each other. A simple swap was all it required.

I'd just like to say thanks for all your help and suggestions - I'd have ended up paying someone from Halfords £35 to do that for me!

Cheers

Chris
Glad you fixed it. I somehow missed the circled connections on the PDF diagram that says "see power connection diagram on reverse" :-P
Corsa Stereo Connections - Destructo

This stereo install tutorial should help anyone else looking for what's needed / required to upgrade the Corsa B Stereo.

demonaudio.co.uk/tutorial/vauxhall/corsa/howtoupgr...x