Vauxhall Senator - daveyK_UK
Been offered by a relative a F reg 3.0 V6 auto vauxhall senator.
Everything is working, its only a 3 speed auto and is heavy on the juice - however i will be using it for motorway runs.

been told i can sell it on in 6 months for 600 quid plus to a memeber of the senator club.

are they reliable?
capable of 20,000 miles at such an old age?

Vauxhall Senator - Aprilia
You don't say what the mileage is. They were very reliable cars and will do 200000 miles. It helps if you change the oil pump at 100k miles - its externally mounted (easy job) and a rebuild kit for it is (was) very cheap, about £25 IIRC.
Vauxhall Senator - Hugo {P}
These can be heavy on petrol but with effective use of cruise control you can lighten this a bit.

If you're thinking of long term ownership would it be worth fitting LPG to it?

H
Vauxhall Senator - DavidHM
I have to say that whilst £600 may be achievable, the later cars have four speed autos and 24v engines, and that might make a big difference to the choice of car for the Autobahnstormers.

That said, when I was 18, eight years ago, the big, fast, cheap car of choice was the Senator (though of course no one my age could have insured one!) and I definitely have a soft spot for them, so I can see why they might become collectable.

Personally I'd be reluctant to take this on unless the money you pay for it can be written off as insignificant and you can sell it - whether on eBay, through the club or elsewhere, as soon as the fuel bills start getting you down.

In that case, if you're not sure about keeping it, it may be a good idea to look at what will happen with regard to transferring the insurance, because I can't see you insuring it for less than that £600 if you're under 30 and/or don't have full no claims.
Vauxhall Senator - king arthur
All the 3.0 Senators had 4 speed autos IIRC, with sport mode switch.

The downside to this car is, 20mpg if you plan on using the accelerator at all and it will be unlikely to be able to run on unleaded fuel.
Vauxhall Senator - king arthur
Oh and BTW, just to be pedantic it's a straight 6, not V6. Omega has the V6.
Vauxhall Senator - Dynamic Dave
it will be unlikely to be able to run on unleaded fuel.

My old E reg Cavalier would run on unleaded. It was a simple case of turning round the RON coding plug under the bonnet from 98 to 95.
Vauxhall Senator - Aprilia
They can all run unleaded (even the 'Senator A'). Earlier ones had the GM180 3-speed 'boxes. Later ones were 4-speed with lockup. I would have thought an F-reg would be 4-speed.
starts and runs brilliantly.

i only want it to do 50 mile round trip a day.

insurance is slightly higher - looking at just over a grand.

petrol consumption is main issue - 17mpg is average.

how much is the Lpg convert?
I suspect the government do not offer an incentive for such an old car?
Will the road tax be £155?

shame it isnt diesel - as i would have been tempted to borrow my mates cooking oil sythening kit. Really works as well. He works nights and has never been stopped. Plus he doesnt notice the smell on the motorway.

spends 120 quid a month on fuel and does nearly 10k a month in a zantia TD.

illegail - but difficult to condemn him when we have such a tax happy chancellor who hates motorists.
forgot to add - he said i can have it for 100 quid.

resell it later for 600 (i havent got round to pricing it yet, 600 quid is his estimate)
Vauxhall Senator - frostbite
When did YOU last tax a car?

£165 pa/ £90.75 6 mths.

For £100 I don't think you can go wrong.

--
Use it up : Wear it out : Make do : Do without