Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Alyn Beattie
Hi All

My son is thinking of buying a Peugoet 205 diesel. It's a P reg with 38000 miles on the clock. Asking price £1500. Is the price reasonable, anything with this car to look out for?. It is a private sale
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Ian Cook
Alyn

£1500 is almost bangernomics money and I think the 205 you mention is good value at this price. There will be the sceptics who tell you that it's flimsy, but so are a lot of small cars.

I owned a 1990 model and sold it at 84K and it was a great little car - the only things I ever replaced were brake pads and one front wheel bearing. The steering was a little heavy, but a new set of front tyres worked wonders.

It's not the most modern of interiors, but it works OK and the car is still stylish and very cheap to run. I averaged 55mpg in mine. Tyres are standard 155-13 and don't wear heavily. 205s are also reasonably rust resistant.

I Hope this helps

Ian
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Dave
Ian Cook wrote:

> £1500 is almost bangernomics money and I think the 205 you
> mention is good value at this price. There will be the
> sceptics who tell you that it's flimsy, but so are a lot of
> small cars.

I've completely re-shelled a 205 - they're *not* flimsy.
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Moosh
Not many 205 diesels around with 38000 miles. Since it is a private purchase make sure the mileage is genuine.
You have very little 'comeback' if it is not.
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - ChrisR
Moosh is right about the mileage. But on the other hand, at 1500 quid, as long as it pulls strongly, doesn't make (much) smoke, and is generally in good nick, it could be three times that in reality and still be ok. If you do discover an "anomaly," bargain them down. There can be few cars as reliable and economical as the Pug 205/309 diesels. Think Stonehenge, rain in Manchester, Newcastle United losing in London.

Chris
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Matt
All 205s after 1994 had Power Steer as well!!!!!
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Honest John
£1,500 for a 1996/97P is not dear at all. Buy now and re-sell next year.

HJ
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Andy
When did Peugeot stop manufacturing the 205? I have never seen a P registered one?

Yours

Andy
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Dan J
Amazingly they were actually sold until 1997 (P) reg though these were the last few dregs of the 1.8 diesel and 1.6 petrols but I have to admit, I have also never seen one either!

Have managed to see a (recent) R reg Cavalier near to where I live and would love to be able to ask the owners where the hell they got that one from...
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Richard Hall
Each year there is a list published of all the new vehicle registrations for that year by make and model. Anyone know where to find it? All sorts of oddities turn up in it - cars that had been stuck at the back of showrooms and forgotten. Expect to see an FSO Polonez in next year's list - I know a former FSO dealer who kept one back for his retirement.
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Dan J
Sounded interesting to me so I had a delve around - came up with:

www.smmt.co.uk/ads/ads03_example.asp

But sadly you have to pay rather a lot of money to see the document!

Anyone know if similar info is on the net for free?
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - John Douglas
Hi Alyn - If you can be sure the mileage is correct, grab it. We have two diesel 205's in the family and they're fantastic cars - cheap to run and hardly ever go wrong. Look after the engine and it will last for years. - Cheers!
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Simon Butterworth
Lovely car, manual steering an effort parking but super handling o/wise. Try and ascertain if the oil changes have been done. Also does the coolant look neglected as the XUD is a steel block alloy head combination and the corrosion inhibition is critical to a long and happy life. Watch for oil burning on acceleration, a sign of neglected maintenance.

Mine shipped rainwater into the footwells, finding its way in via the cills and the seatbelt mounts, possibly due to poor accident repair so look carefully for the usual clues like rippled panels and poor trim fit.
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Andrew T
Alyn - plenty of replies and no-one knocking the car. On a P plate it must have been one of the last, probably a Mardi Gras or something? At the end of the run some people say the build quality was on the way down, so check for door fit and things like that. 38K is low for a diesel (but not ridiculous) and by now it should have had one cambelt change, 2 fuel filters, and oil/filter changes about every 5K. If you can confirm all that, you shouldn't need to worry much about the true mileage, though check for stone-chips and pedal wear as an indication.

In my experience (8 years with a 91H D-turbo) very little fails on a 205, but handbrake cables are prone to kinking, especially the offside.
Re: Purchasing a Peugoet 205 - Alyn Beattie
Thank you all for your advice. Never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge Backroomers have on a wide variety of subjects.

I will pass all the comments to my son. He lives in Matlock in Derbyshire,I live in South Wales. If he buys the car the first I will see of it is when he comes home for Christmas.

Once again Thank you all