passengers in back of van - mattsplatt
I'm trying to plan a trip down the west coast of France on a tight budget with a few friends. I have two questions for all of you:

1)Can anyone suggest a vehicle I could hunt for £500 - £1500 to transport four people and a load of luggage reliably on this trip?

2)What is the law regarding passengers in the back of a van in France? I suspect they would need proper seats and seatbelts but i'm wondering if I could shove them in a transit / minivan legally?

Cheers
passengers in back of van - Cliff Pope
1) Old Volvo estate - 240 or 740. Very cheap, very reliable, lots of space, huge carrying capacity.

2) It's illegal here, so you'd have to get there first, even if legal in France, which I doubt.
passengers in back of van - Bromptonaut
Whatever the law pax in the back of a van are too vulnerable to contemplate. As regards a cheap vehicle perhaps something French. Pug 405 or Cit BX estate in diesel guise would be pretty cheap and any roadside garage in France should have the expertise to fix it. Non turbo versions are pretty slow off the mark but once up to 80 will stay there all day.
passengers in back of van - Retro
Volvo 240 pref GLT. £100-£500. Don't worry about mileage, buy on condition.
passengers in back of van - mattsplatt
Excellent advice, I was being a dumbass thinking I would put people in a van in retrospect. An estate is the way to go, i'll have a look around. I like the sound of an old 'Vulva' on account of the price, but the point about the service stations is also v.good. Cheers, all :)
passengers in back of van - Hugo {P}
Aside from the legal aspects of riding in the back of the van, there is also the safety side to consider.

You see it all the time in the UK with builders, site workers etc but these are often for short journeys, possibly reduced risk, though don't draw me in on that one please.

In addition to the cars mentioned, again I would recommend a Xantia, diesel. Early cheap ones for your money can be had.

H
passengers in back of van - Vansboy
The top end of your budget will ALMOST get you,in auction, an ex Royal Mail LDV Pilot postbus. This will have good loadspace, plus proper hi back belted seating for 5 people.

Not the nicest thing to drive, but reasonably well maintained, a few bumps n dents, but at least you'll be road legal!

VB