Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Sooty
Hi

I'm looking to relpace my Clio (4yr old).. had my fill of Renault.. esp petrol versions.. lost count of the coil packs I have had replaced.

I really like the VW Passat but it is too expensive. even S/Hand, for me. looking at the Octavia 1.9TDi 5Dr.. I know VW make it... but is the build similar?

Any advice or user opinion gratefully received.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Pugugly {P}
Better apparantly.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - dylan
Go do a search on google for 'volkswagen coil pack' before you buy a VAG car.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Roger Jones
Sooty

About five years ago I was driven over the mountains of Crete from south coast to north coast in an Octavia taxi. It was a superb car then -- handling, ride, comfort, quietness -- and it has since got better. If anyone makes Skoda jokes any more, just treat them as the sad and ignorant people that they are. Skodas are tremendous value for money, with all the traditional VW qualities but without the price premium. I speak as the owner of a Golf VR6 and an MB E320 Coupé (and a Capri 2.8i).
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - DL
The coilpack issues are all done and dusted by now, surely?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Malcolm_L
I suspect the point was to raise peoples awareness of VAG customer service skills.

You could also add the lower wishbone problem with A4/Passat's which VAG have handled much the same way.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Stuartli
So's the Seat Toledo (built in Belgium) which is the Spanish brand's version of the Octavia.

The Skoda Superb is the Passat variation.

All built to VW standards and often with superior specifications for less than the VW or Audi equivalents.

The only difference between Seat and Skoda with VW or Audi is that some of the interior materials and plastics may not be just quite as good, but few would be aware...:-)

Skodas, by the way, are built in a brand new factory and the Octavia and Fabia models have one of the top three highest "would buy again" recommendations of owners. See the BBC Top Gear website for details.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Thanks, all for the replies.

I do not have any hang-ups on Skoda at all.. although I am old enough to remember those times when they were the butt of jokes.

I'm interested in a good quality car.. a friend has an S reg Passat and it is a fabulous car for ride, comfort and even economy.. being a diesel.

Is the Octavia the equivalent to a Passat?

Someone mentioned doing a search on 'Volkswagen coil packs' I do not intends to buy a petrol 'anything'.. VW or whatever. However is there an issue with VW coil packs as well as my Renault?
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Thommo
Every taxi driver in Madrid has an Octavia diesel. They can't all be wrong.

Strangely last time I was in Luxembourg (2 years ago) all the hire cars were white Citroen Vel Satis's. Apparently Citroen knocked them out at a hell of a discount. Very odd sight as the plane banked over the car park.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - machika
Strangely last time I was in Luxembourg (2 years ago) all
the hire cars were white Citroen Vel Satis's. Apparently Citroen
knocked them out at a hell of a discount. Very
odd sight as the plane banked over the car park.

>>

A Citroen Vel Satis? Would that be some kind of a hybrid?
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Buster Cambelt
Not really, the vast majority of the licensed (white with red flash on door) fleet in Madrid are Seat Toledos but you do see a decent number of Peugeot 406s, Octavias and Passats.

Luxembourg is still knee-deep in Vel Satis though. obviously they were not exciting enough to sell in Belgium...
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Altea Ego
Yes there was a problem with coil packs on Volkswagen *group* so that included VW's and Audis. It got so bad that VW ran out of spare coil packs and broken down customer cars were parked up for weeks. Of course a great number of those on the spares shelf were also faulty. This problem did not only affect VW as the supplier supplied a lot of car manufacturers.

If yours has the coil pack on the plug then ALL need to be changed, dealers tend to change just one, and of course as they all came from the same batch the others WILL fail. So your car could break down 4 times for the same problem when it shouldnt have to.

The great coil pack scandal should now be a thing of the past but it was a major problem.
Thanks for the advice..

I really like the renaults for safety, and comfort.. but after seven consecutive clio's and not too good longevity built-in, I want a change. i.e Head on my first diesel clio, gearbox starting to whine on two of them, front calipers (brakes) holding on after stopping hard and releasing with a 'clunk'.. (a Bendix problem apparently) I stuck with Renault mainly because they started going wrong just about time to replace them: about 2-2 1/2 years old and then getting a new one. I can honestly say I never abused any of them, ran them in long after the stated mileage and always had them serviced properly.

Now with the latest one i had a breakdown and renault changed 'A' coil pack. it soon broke down again and they changed all four. It has lasted about 13 months and the same again. However i'm paying for them, now it is out of warranty. My local garage (stopped going to Renault dealerships) is replacing them all the time on Renaults (slight exageration there, probably) and I guess I'm tired of it. Some will have had good results.,, and that's great.

Thanks for the resoonse though.

Sooty
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Cardew
Is the Octavia the equivalent to a Passat?

The Octavia is based on the Golf rather than the Passat.

There is no doubt that Skoda and Seat are cheaper than their VW equivalents.

Opinions are divided on the quality of interior trim.

There is no doubt that second hand VWs still command a premium. Its irrelevant whether this is justified or not - they just do!

Which is the better buy in the long term is a matter of conjecture.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - bazza
Sooty
I bought an Octavia tdi a few months ago. It's a fine car, averaging about 54 mpg running around and 60 mpg on a long run. Does everything I need a car to do, huge boot, good seats, goes, stops and handles tidily. Lots of extras, climate, abs, multi cd etc. There are two others in our street, all tdis, no complaints to date, one has done over 120000 miles. Don't get any grief with the badge either (thought I would, but seems to have moved on). The trim is fine, but compared directly with VW or Audi, is indeed slightly less luxurious, eg no sun visor vanity lights, damped grab handles etc. But I can live without such things! All the mechanicals I've looked at to date are stamped Audi/VW, including the wheelbrace! All in all a decent car IMO.
>>Is the Octavia the equivalent to a Passat?>>

I've already posted that the Skoda Superb is based on the Passat...:-)

The Octavia and Seat Toledo are basically saloon versions of the Golf (VW equivalent is the Bora); the earlier Audi A3/4s were also a variant on the theme.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Happy Blue!
Loads of Octavia diesel automatics as taxis in Israel. The ones I get into have all done over 300,000 km and seems to run fine.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - trancer
I have to ask though, with Skodas going for the same prices as VWs on the used market, why buy the copy when you can get the "real" thing?. Unless you depise VW badges or blue dash illumination etc.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - mare
I have to ask though, with Skodas going for the same
prices as VWs on the used market, why buy the copy
when you can get the "real" thing?. Unless you depise
VW badges or blue dash illumination etc.

Quick search on Autotrader:

c.6k = T reg VW Golf Diesel

c.6k = X reg Skoda Octavia Diesel

Plus the Octavia has a much bigger boot. You could compare against the VW Bora, but that is a saloon.

In response to the original post, i have a 110,000 mile 110bhp diesel Octavia which has been great. If you want one, i'd recommend the SLX / Elegance, to get the CD player and climate control, and the 110 bhp enine rather than the 90 in the GLX / Ambiente.

Mine is starting to lose power and develop a flat spot, do a forum search for "TDi power loss" and you should get more information. The engine is used in the Audi A4, VW Passat, Golf and Bora and Seat Leon / Toledo, plus the Ford/VW Galaxy / Sharan, and has posed interesting problems for owners. It seems to me (and i could be wrong) that they seem to suffer from niggles (MAF sensor etc) which take a couple of attempts to sort out rather than single catastrophic failures.
>>Plus the Octavia has a much bigger boot. You could compare against the VW Bora, but that is a saloon>>

The Bora's boot space is 455 litres, that of the Octavia 528 litres (new model 548 litres).

Both are saloons and based on the Golf - however, the Octavia is slightly larger overall than the Bora, hence the increased boot space.

Even so the Bora doesn't come anywhere near the Jetta, sold here until 1992, which had a 23cu ft boot, one of the largest of any car in any class; it was so deep I sometimes had to climb into mine to retrieve items which had ended up at the back of the luggage area.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Welliesorter
Both are saloons...

The Octavia is a hatchback that's shaped like a saloon.
>>The Octavia is a hatchback that's shaped like a saloon.>>

Same as the original early 1990s Toledo then - that was based on the VW Jetta.

"Quick search on Autotrader:

c.6k = X reg Skoda Octavia Diesel"

The original post asked about diesel Passats and the following thread concluded that the Skoda Superb was the Passat equivalent so thats what my "Quick search on Autotrader" centered on. The cheapest diesel Superb was a 52 reg with 155,000 miles for £7995. Car with less scary mileages were all £8500-£9500 and above. Using that price as a guide I did a search for diesel Passats and found quite a few 52 reg cars at that price which prompted my original post that if the "copy" costs the same as the "original", why buy it?. Especially when you consider that VWs command higher re-sale values and Skodas were once considered the butt of automotive jokes.

For the record, I have never considered VWs a better quality car and have never heard a Skoda joke in my life.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Altea Ego
Errr I may have read this wrong but...

On the one hand you say that Suberbs and Passats go for similar prices second hand, and on the other you say that VW have higher resale value?
>>Err I may have read this wrong but...>>

Presumably based on the statement:

c.6k = X reg Skoda Octavia Diesel

i.e. the older VW commands a similar price tag.
I don't determine re-sale values, just stating that the general consensus is that VWs have a higher re-sale and that Skodas are automotive jokes, regardless of what the facts may be. Because of this perceived value, the VW would be the better choice as it would likely mean higher residuals and an easier time selling it on in the future.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - DavidHM
I see what you mean, but the Fabia and Octavia are actually relatively expensive cars to buy used.

As for an ex-taxi (presumably), 155k mile, 2 year old Superb going for £8k - I can't see a C Class with that mileage and history going for much more, although there aren't enough 2 year olds with mega mileages to compare.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - patently
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen

[philosophy mode = on]

It can't be.

If a Skoda was really a VW, then a VW would really be an Audi. And the Audi would, of course, really be a Lambourghini. And the Lambo would really be a Bugatti Veyron.

And, of course, the Bugatti Veyron doesn't exist. But the SKod does exist. Therefore it isn't really a VW.

[philosophy mode = off]

I'll get that BR coat, shall I?
The foundation of Skoda or Seat models as the case may be is a VW in that particular class - each marque is given its own identity in the body and interior styling and, in most cases, superior specification at lower cost.

In essence each VW offspring IS a VW in all but name and built to the same standards (South Africa perhaps being the exception rather than the rule from personal experience); however, the quality of interior plastics and seat materials might not quite reach true VW levels.

But the savings in initial purchase cost ensure most owners won't lose any sleep...:-)
Which is (another reason) why I don't drive an Audi, Stuartli.

For various reasons which I may discuss another day, I need a car with presence which will tell potential clients that "this guy has lots of other clients who pay silly amounts for his advice ... therefore he must be good". So, in the VAG stable, this means an Audi.

However, I want a car that is a good purchase for the money spent. And I can't help feeling that an A4 is not a good idea when, essentially, there are others in Passats with a car that is basically the same but cheaper. And yet more with Superbs...

So VW, Skoda and Seat dealers don't get a visit because the image is wrong for my clients. And Audi don't because I don't like the feeling that I've been suckered.

And BMW shouldn't get smug - with every man and his dog in a 3 and the 1 getting popular, I may need to move. Heaven knows what I'll go to!
>>Which is (another reason) why I don't drive an Audi>>

The Audi is regarded as the understated choice of those making a statement....:-)

As for BMW, the same applies to Mercedes. Virtually every model is ten-a-penny in my area and the exclusitivity tag has long since disappeared.

However, I fully understand your point about the need to impress clients with your choice of car - every key figure in a long standing friend's business, the largest independent of its type in the UK, has a top of the range model parked outside, personally chosen from all available marques.

This applies throughout the car parks of my mate's various UK offices and thoroughly impresses potential new clients.
The Audi is regarded as the understated choice of those making
a statement....:-)

I've thought about that. So... an Audi is for when I want to say something without saying something. Errr.....

- - - - - - - - - -
What's for someone else presumably will pass you by, unless it's a joint gift, in which case it may get mightily confused.
>>What's for someone else presumably will pass you by>>

Precisely. Hence the expression.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - NowWheels
... I need a car with presence which will tell potential
clients that "this guy has lots of other clients who pay silly
amounts for his advice ... therefore he must be good".

Tough call, patently. Since the "prestige" brands are becoming too common, I can see only two routes to go.

First is to drive an Alfa (or a Lancia, if you don't mind a personal import). Italian and exotic, and with a fierce reputation for unreliability and savage depreciation. It doesn't matter that the reputation is (as NoDo$h will remind us shortly) unjustified: what matters is that your clients will recognise you as a man not afraid to break away from the herd, and able to afford the massive repair bills (which you won't actually have to pay anyhow, 'cos Alfas are 100% reliable).

The alternative is to drive a "classic" car, such as a restored old Jaguar. Sends out much the same signals, but it would mark you out as a man unswayed by fads.

In either case, though, the whole thing would be fatally undermined if anyone suspected that you also owned a Porch. I'm sure that if you bunged a suitably generous new year gatuity to the moderators, they could expunge all references to the allegations of Porchdom ...
if anyone suspected that you also owned a Porch.>>

Well I'm not ashamed to say that I've got one and so have virtually all my neighbours.

Does a great job at helping to keep out the draughts, cold and rain, with the front door a second line of defence.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - NowWheels
>> if anyone suspected that you also owned a Porch.
Well I'm not ashamed to say that I've got one and
so have virtually all my neighbours.

Great things, Porches. Provided they are on the front of your house.

But seriously injurious to to the social standing when fitted with wheels.
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Avant
Builder's foreman to apprentice: "Here's some bright green paint. Will you go and paint the porch."

Some time later...

Apprentice: "I've done it, but it wasn't a Porsche, it was a Mercedes."

Give an old joke a good home......
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - blue_haddock
do you want the coat?
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - Vince
Hi,

I'm new to this site and just picked up on this exchange. Sorry, but going back to the initial messages ... whats this about VAG coil packs being suspect???

I've got a Passat PD130 sport that I bought from new in July 2002. Is this likely to be affected or had the problem been sorted by then. What are the symptoms of coil failure anyway???

Finally ...... as my car approaches its first service I've heard that Passats often fail because of headlamp fittings that seize with the passage of time. I have a vague memory of reading that it is an easy problem to prevent, but expensive to replace if not prevented earlier enough ........ does this mean anything to anyone???
Is a Skoda 'really' a Volkswagen - mare
Sorry, but going back to the initial messages ... whats
this about VAG coil packs being suspect???

Shouldn't affect you, the coil pack problems are on the 1.8 PETROL engines, more specifically the 1.8 20V turbo according to the Golf Mk IV entry in the Car by Car breakdown.