406 V6 Timing belt gone happy Xmas! - quadmyre
Here's the scenario:

Driving to mother-in-laws on Xmas eve, about 5 miles away after a trip of some 130miles and sudden loss of power. Reason turns out to be that the engine has stopped. Pull into convenient gateway. Engine fails to restart.

Call out Tesco recovery person (pretty prompt though the callcentre was useless) who quickly diagnoses failed cambelt by checking cam movement through oil filler when turning engine.

Now I am given to understand that some engines are 'safe' (I've also seen the term non-interference) in terms of pistons not hitting valves when the timing belt goes and I am hoping that the lack of any horrible noises or feeling at all when it happened is an indication that this one is - can anyone confirm this? Unfortunately all the garages seem to be closed until Wednesday to add to the fun of having a broken car sitting in a car park 140miles from a home I've had to return to by train.

The car is a 98 Pug 406 3.0 V6 engine code ES9J4 (not the revised ES9J4S).

Any help would be much appreciated...

Justin
Ach. Just downloaded some info from Autodata on this engine and it includes this warning:

"CAUTION: This engine has been identified as an INTERFERENCE engine in which the possibility of valve-to-piston damage in the event of a timing belt failure is MOST LIKELY to occur."

Going to be an expensive christmas methinks...
406 V6 Timing belt gone happy Xmas! - DL
You've got to ask yourself "What is the car worth, in a fixed condition?"

Do your sums before agreeing any repair work.

Harsh, but realistic.

The engine will be a mess internally.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
406 V6 Timing belt gone happy Xmas! - DL
How many miles has the car covered?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Done nearly 89000, I've had it since about 81000, cambelt change recorded in service book at 74000 but I've no receipt for it. I was nervous so got the garage to look at it at last service and they said it was not original part which suggests it had indeed been changed.

Car's the exec with full leather / electrics so worth in the region of 3k in good condition or about zilch in its present condition...
Quote for recon engine from 24/7 Spares UK - 68000 miles £705 inc VAT + delivery with 60 day guarantee. Might be the way to go.
406 V6 Timing belt gone happy Xmas! - Sprice
V6 petrol French cars never hold their value, so its highly unlikely your car is worth 3k in working order. See what the garage has to say, you might have been lucky with little damage done, or if not, advertise as spares or repair?
Have now had this looked at and all the teeth on the timing belt had actually been sheared off - looked like either something seized or a fault developed with the belt tensioner.

I've gone for the option of a 2nd hand engine which hopefully will get it back on the road.

>Sprice: I guess it depends how define 'is worth' - 2-3k is about right on Parkers price guide but you can't generally find an example of the same spec (leather, cd changer, climate, full electrics) for sale less than 3-4k. So while I grant that it may not be 'worth 3k in working order' I couldn't actually replace it for less than that.