Can I remove my bumpers? - Ramos
Would it be legal to drive my van ( www.coolmuledesign.co.uk/lt28/ ) without the black bumpers? I want to remove them and also some of the red circled bits in the pic too although I think I have to leave one set. Anyone know for sure what the law says about this?
Can I remove my bumpers? - Robin Reliant
You would probably fall foul of the Construction & Use regulations. Any sharp projections which you would expose after removing the bumpers would be considered a danger to pedestrians.
Can I remove my bumpers? - BobbyG
Why would you want to remove your bumpers? Do they not serve a purpose, especially on a van? Or are you planning to replace them?
I guess they would be useful if I needed to climb up on them but I don't, They may lessen damage to my van should I accidentally bump into someone but I can't see any real advantage of them beyond that. I have the van to go windsurfing and possibly in the future to use for short camping trips once I have tidied the interior. At the moment it looks very like a work van but I want it to look like more of a cool retro camper. Taking the bumpers off really changes the appearance and de-clutters - I hate clutter on cars so rest assured my plans for the van do not include a full body kit with spoiler!
Can I remove my bumpers? - Dwight Van Driver
As Tom Shaw states provided there are no jagged edges left exposed then from what you say it would appear street legal as the offence of parts and accessories in such condition as likely to cause danger, contrary to Con and Use Regs, not disclosed.

Each to his own.

DVD
Can I remove my bumpers? - Pugugly {P}
Looks like you are removing the reflecotrs. Hopefully they are an extra pair over and above the OE. If not they are required under Lighting Regs.
Can I remove my bumpers? - keo-the-dog
remember you have to have reflectors on the back which would normally be the round ones at the bottom of the rear lights, as i dont think the lt has built in reflectors on the rear lights...cheers...keo
sorry didn,t see above post
You put it better than me...
Oh and you need to make provision for a BS approved rear number plate and illumination for it.
Cheers for your input guys, I figured I'd need to leave the round reflectors - odd looking as they are. Thanks for taking time to reply.
just a thought but if you remove the bumpers you might just find you get a little more attention from plod as it may "look" un mot,ed or poorly maintained ...cheers...keo
True but at 21 I feel pretty young driving the van as it is - it dwarfs a Ford Galaxy!!!
Can I remove my bumpers? - trancer
Colour coding the bumpers would go a long way towards creating a clean, sleeker look and you would have absolutely no worry about running afoul of the law