Immobiliser 3 series BMW - Shaz {p}
Hi,
A friend has a 2000 x 3 series. He says he thinks the immobiliser has been triggered. He gets the dash lights up - but engine won't crank over.

He had left the car in his drive to get something from the house - not shutting the drivers door properly. He decided to lock the car - plipped the remote. Half an hour later came out to the car - noticed the door hadn't been shut properly, when trying to start the car - he gets this problem.

Has tried arming/disarming the alarm, plip - but to no avail.
He has looked in the mnaual - no instructions of how to reset immoboliser.

His brother had a similar thing happen to him - where the main dealer reset it for him, by pressing a button, but can't remember how this was done.

Any ideas?
Immobiliser 3 series BMW - Pugugly {P}
Had a similar problem witht he Five a few weeks ago whilst parked in the vicinity of a Police Radio mast. BMW Assist gave advice on how to overcome the immmobilizer issue. Basically IIRC it was matter of inserting the key and turning it on and leaving the dash lights on for 30 seconds, turn it off and re-start.
Immobiliser 3 series BMW - Shaz {p}
Thanks for that, but still no luck. There is a clicking noise that seems to be coming from the dash when you try starting the car. Engine does not turn over. Its not the starter motor.

He's tried taking the fuse out for the alarm/immobilizer and plugging back in, tried arming/disarming the alarm with the key in the ignition (does nothing).

Only thing he hasn't tried is disconnecting the battery and reconnecting.
Immobiliser 3 series BMW - David Horn
Clicking sound says "flat battery" to me. Has he tried jump starting?
Immobiliser 3 series BMW - Pugugly {P}
Sounds Battery related to me.
Immobiliser 3 series BMW - John S
Most immobilisers simply isolate the ignition, and don't prevent the car cranking over. I'd be more inclined to suspect the battery/starter motor on this one.

JS
Immobiliser 3 series BMW - john deacon
starter motor relay gone by the sounds of it?