Car Tax Due Jan 1st - wophie
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the post office forward date Car tax when it runs out on Jan 1st? Or do I need to wait until Jan 4th to get this if I dont want to lose a month?

many thanks

Sophie

Car Tax Due Jan 1st - tyre tread
You can apply for tax as soon as reminder arrives - usually up to 2 weeks before month end when existing RFL expires.
Car Tax Due Jan 1st - martint123
You can apply for tax as soon as reminder arrives

Not exactly true.

You can submit your application from the 15th day of the month in which the existing vehicle licence is due to expire. The licence will come into force on the first day of the following month and should not be displayed on your vehicle until then.

You can get caught out at times if the reminder gets to you a little early!
Car Tax Due Jan 1st - frostbite
Someone told me that when I go in to PO (on Jan 4th) with no reminder form - change of vehicle - I don't have to present any form, just V5, MOT & insurance.

Is this true?

--
Use it up : Wear it out : Make do : Do without
Car Tax Due Jan 1st - Stuartli
Usually you have to take the completed form, but you may have a barcoded type V5 (don't know where mine is right at this moment) - I presume this is accepted as it is the barcode method the Post Office uses when you pay utility and other bills.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car Tax Due Jan 1st - frostbite
Thanks for that. It did seem to have some credibility because when I went into PO I had to ask for a V14 (tax surrender, old car) and the help yourself rack of DVLA forms had been removed.

Apologies to wophie for the diversion.
Car Tax Due Jan 1st - john deacon
bought a tax disc a few days ago the post office ripped up the application form in front of me "we dont use those anymore", looked at the V5, MOT, money and insurance, typed reg no into a computer and issued tax disc

they said the forms were no longer in use, whether that is just at that post office or nationwide i dont know, maybe its a new system being rolled out
Car Tax Due Jan 1st - Bromptonaut
I think John D is right - new system being rolled out. I've had the application handed back to me the last few times. Seem to scan a barcode off it first though.
Car Tax Due Jan 1st - henry k
I think John D is right - new system being rolled
out. I've had the application handed back to me the last
few times. Seem to scan a barcode off it first though.

>>
Presenting the reminder form allows the PO to scan the bar code on it so they no longer have to fill in their form with details. It is worth taking the form to speed the process.

However it would appear that if you fill in the current mileage box on the form, then this info is not input so is lost.

I would guess that further local automation might be coming like the online renewal process.
This will help to ensure that the documents presented are not forged or invalid.
Car Tax Due Jan 1st - martint123
"we dont use those anymore", looked at the V5, MOT, money and insurance

Was this a newly bought car?? and not a renewal form? Can't think why they'd need or check a V5 otherwise??
it was a new disc after being SORN'd in a garage for a few months
www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/30/pcs_slams_mot_sys.../