Best View From Motorway Pull-In - tack
What is the best view anyone has had from a motorway pull-in (service station or,if abroad "aire de...." as in France)?

My favourite is on the autoroute from Calais towards Normandy. There is an "aire de....." just before you get to the Le Touquet turn off. It has the wind turbines there,a sight in themselves, but if you bother to climb up to a grassy ledge (Normany Bound pull-in I am afraid) there is a lovely view of the small village of Camiers a few hundred feet below, and on towards the sea from Etaples up to Equihen.
Best View From Motorway Pull-In - No Do$h
Aire de Domancy (or is at Aire D'Arve?) on the A40 (E25) Route Blanche about 15 miles from Chamonix. From here you are surrounded by the Alps, with spectacular views of Mont Blanc, Mont Joie and Mont, er, well lots of Monts.

I thought is was spectacular in winter but a couple of years back we stopped there mid summer whilst on our honeymoon. Seeing the sun glinting off the snowy caps in mid July was truly awe inspiring.
Best View From Motorway Pull-In - PhilW
"aire de....." Falaise de Widehem I think - spectacular views I agree. Better though is Aire de Joncquieres. View from nearby Aire de la Baie de Somme also excellent
Better though is Aire de Joncquieres on the A 61 near Narbonne with sculptures and fantastic views of the etangs and Med 12 miles away.
Best View From Motorway Pull-In - Duchess
Northbound services at Shap on the M6. Duckpond outside the cafe window, the best coffee in England and the most amazing view across the valleys. Worth driving there just for that.
Best View From Motorway Pull-In - Citroënian {P}
lol! The M6 services northbound at Shap is a regular stop for me, I honestly do like the duck pond. I like the ones at Tebay too, the trucker stop. No views but great coffee & chips.

Can't recall exactly what it's called, but the services on the autoroute from Calais to Caen, just before the large tolls heading west, there's a tower you can walk up and the views over the fields and thus the birdlife views are excellent.

Westmorland aside, most of our service areas are a disgrace compared to those on the continent.

--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Best View From Motorway Pull-In - PhilW
"there's a tower you can walk up"
Sounds like Baie de Somme
Best View From Motorway Pull-In - Orson {P}
There's a fantastic one on the autobahn on the way to Salzburg, heading towards Berschtesgarten. Halfway up a mountain, and suddenly, there's the service area, with views for miles of hills and lakes and general alpine jollity. It was made all the more special because I'd been driving in thick fog/cloud/crud and suddenly came through into glorious sunshine, and almost immediately was this first-rate view. Had to stop and stare for a while.

Beats Toddington...

O