Badly signed temporary speed limit - MarkSmith
Last Monday I drove down the A338 into Bournemouth - 50mph limit with repeaters all the way down. There was a temporary 30mph speed limit over a bridge, which was badly signed: there were just a few 30 signs scattered along the road, and 50mph repeaters between them. No warning of the 30, no cancellation of it, signs not terribly visible, bit of a mess.

I called the council and told them. They explained why the limit was there, but I wasn't questioning that. I was saying it was badly signed.

Drove the same road yesterday, 10 days later. They've added pre-warning and some slightly better signing, but there are still several unobscured 50mph repeaters in the 30 zone and, in fact, one right next to the first 30 sign.

There are cameras on this road, but no in the new 30 zone, so that's not my concern.

What bothers me is that the signing is a mess, no one knows what to do there, you have traffic joining from the left at 50 when you're (supposed to be doing) 30, and they don't seem to really care. My personal decision, normally, is to stick to speed limits (and I don't want this to get into a discussion on speeding) and I do have a bit of an issue with such a badly signed one as it makes it very hard for me to do the right thing. (Why is it a 30? Are there roadworks and people working in the carriageway? Don't know until it's too late, possibly.)

Any suggestions on whose butt I can kick to get it looked at?

Ta,
Mark
Badly signed temporary speed limit - Dwight Van Driver
Sounds like a real mismash.

If it's a temporary 30 for road/bridge maintenance, then LA will have made an Order under S.14 Road Traffic Regulation 1984. This will give details on the length of road involved and time scale. In doing so there is an obligation to correctly sign the restriction at the start (30) and end (50 if in the limit for that or end of roadworks sign if out of it). The presence of the 50 signs (uncovered) within the 30 limit gives the arguement at law that it is an unlawful 30 limit.

If the LA have not made an Order under S.14 or Sections 82,83,84 same Act (permanent 30) then the presence of the 30's make the 50 unlawful in respect of prosecution.

Different kettle of fish if the 30 is only advisory (black rectangular sign with Max Speed 30)

If the LA will not play ball to get it right then suggest a positive approach to local Police and local Press, who may be aware of some motorists wrongly reported for speeding.

DVD
Badly signed temporary speed limit - Pugugly {P}
Agree with DVD - A fight to relish that one !
Badly signed temporary speed limit - patently
Sounds like another possible BR outing - two in fact.

One to the A338, and another to the local beak to fight it all out! [PU & DVD - I think we'd need you for the latter one at least!]
Badly signed temporary speed limit - Godfrey H {P}
A call to the local radio station is usually a good way to embarrass council officials who don't want to know. Works a treat in my area.
Badly signed temporary speed limit - Dwight Van Driver
Seems that this is more common that we think

tinyurl.com/6thwa

Problems seem to stem from the fact that LA's sub=contract work out andf despite a clause in the contract regarding signing this isn't being done, is it?

DVD
Badly signed temporary speed limit - No Do$h
For background, the reason for this temporary limit is to effect barrier repairs on the flyover at the Cooperdean junction on the Eastern side of Bournemouth. A couple of weeks back a chap had to pay an unexpected visit to his dry cleaners after losing the back end of his beemer on a patch of black ice (this flyover is notorious for this problem) and putting the nose of his car through the barrier, overhanging the road some 45 feet below. Took two hours to secure the car and remove the driver. Fortunately only a minor ankle injury and dry cleaning/valeting bill required.

So the limit needs to be there, but is being handle appallingly. I agree the signage is a mess. Ironically this is a favourite location for temporary speed cameras, so a chat with local camera partnership would seem in order.
No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk