Speed Limit or Advice - Duchess
I thought I knew my Highway Code regarding triangular and circular road signs but can anyone tell me if rectangular signs are obligatory or advisory?

A local hill has just developed a veritable forest of roadsigns including some rectangular signs saying "Maximum Speed 30 mph". These are part of a larger panel also containing triangular signs relating to gradient and bends.

Speed Limit or Advice - L'escargot
See www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs_index.shtml

Rectangular signs are informatory.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Speed Limit or Advice - Dwight Van Driver
Gospel according to DVD (with help from Dot.)

Circles - give orders
Triangles - Warn
Rectangles - inform.

Blue circles - you MUST do
Red circles - what you MUST NOT do

DVD
Speed Limit or Advice - john deacon
unless youre in a scamera van when you can park in a no park zone, obstruct bridges and footpaths, stop in a no stopping zone, speed, block bus lanes, etc etc
Speed Limit or Advice - BrianW
I thought all speed limits were advisory !
Speed Limit or Advice - Terbeest

Whilst the UK is going to incrase the number of speed warning signs , the Netherlands is in the process of eliminating them altogether.

The new system in the Netherlands is ( unless otherwise indicated) : 2 parallel lines (broken or contineous) in the centre of the road is 80 km or 50 miles; a single line (broken or contineous) is 60 km or 40 miles: no centre line is 50 km or 30 miles. In a built-up area the speed is always 50 km or 30 miles, unless otherwise indicated.

There are no stop signs at junctions with major roads, a row of triangles ( locally called shark teeth) tells you to stop an give way.