Mondeo warming up times. - Imagos
As you all know from my profile I own 2 Mondeos, Now what i've noticed lately is my Diesel is warming up on the gauge twice as quickly than my V6. The same goes for the heater, it's definatly emitting heat twice as fast from cold. It's interesting to note though both gauges settle at exactly the same spot and stay there with no fluctuation anytime during the year. This is worrying me somewhat as i've read in some Mondeo sites that there's a known problem with water pumps on V6's so i'm worried this could be early signs of a problem. My V6 has done 63k and my Diesel has done 130k .

Anyone got any thoughts?

TIA.
Mondeo warming up times. - kithmo
The diesel has probably got a pre-heater in the cooling system. It's a small electric or diesel powered heater, usually fastened to the bulkhead somewhere, that pre-heats the coolant as soon as you start the engine.
Mondeo warming up times. - Adam {P}
also, don't know whether this is a myth but don't needles sit in the middle unless something is drastically wrong?
--
Adam
Mondeo warming up times. - Number_Cruncher
Adam,

Irrespective of exactly where the needle sits, the thing to do is to get used to where the needle normally remains in your car. Then, if that position changes suddenly, you know something is the matter, and you should act. Perhaps, consider it to be more of an indicator rather than an instrument.

As to the needle sitting in the middle, it is not unknown on older cars for there to be an adjuster in the gauge. If a customer is concerned about their needle sitting to low, or too high, the car gets checked, if the temperature is really ok, the gauge gets adjusted to sit in the centre - customer happy!

number_cruncher
Mondeo warming up times. - Adam {P}
Duly noted.

Thanks for that N_C. You learn something new everyday on here!
--
Adam
Mondeo warming up times. - 547HEW
Almost certainly something up with the V6. Gasoline engines shed far more heat than the more adiabatic diesel engine.

Assumes you have not got a Diesel Mondeo built for Scandinavian market, where fuel powered heaters are fitted as standard.
Assumes you have not got a Diesel Mondeo built for Scandinavian
market, where fuel powered heaters are fitted as standard.

No it's not, it is an ex-taxi.
Mondeo warming up times. - percy
So is your problem to do with the V6 thermostat never closing properly when cold, then taking a long time to warm up but otherwise operating reasonably correctly?
Not that I've had much experience of diesels, but generally petrol engines warm up faster under the same conditions.
Thermostats seem to last about 5-6 years, so worthwhile replacing over Xmas perhaps?
The V6 water pumps shed the impeller (due to corrosion I believe) and the first you know is the temp gauge off scale high and as there is no circulation you can't reduce the temperature with the heater on full.
That is unless someone knows better!
Good luck anyway!
Mondeo warming up times. - kithmo
The V6 water pump plastic impeller sometimes actually breaks up and a piece of it can block the passageway to the temperature sender, so you could get a low reading. Effectively the engine appears to be taking a long time warming up, when in reality it is overheating. My V6 is blowing warm air through the heater within about 3 or 4 minutes of starting and the temperature gauge reaches normal in about 7 or 8 minutes, even in cold weather. Later V6s were fitted with a different plastic impeller, white in colour (early ones were black), which is not as prone to breaking up. If you are going to replace the pump, metal impellered ones are available from some motor factors (not from Fords) or on the Mondeo enthusiasts group web forum.
So is your problem>> taking a long time to warm
up but otherwise operating reasonably correctly?

This is problem exactly!
Mondeo warming up times. - Civic8
Partially open stat will cause that..If it only warms up to normal while standing.Ie tickover. then cools down to cold while driving.its stat stuck/siezed
--
Steve
Mondeo warming up times. - Cabsusa
Try changing the thermostat anyway - it should not a big job, although I don``t know the Mondeo V6.

Some of the other replies on this thread suggest it might be the impeller on the water pump; that would surprise me - I never had that in 40 years, but suppose you learn a new one every day!

Good Luck!

AS