Air conditioning testing - Ross_D
The time has come to start looking for a newer car. The 306 has served me well and so I'm looking to get a newer one, an HDi about W(2000) reg. Now these all seem to come with air con, but in this cold weather, how do I test it? Feeling for cold air coming out of the vents seems a bit of a no-no seeing as I probably wont be able to tell the difference between the air-con'ed air and the outside air temp. I suppose I could look for the pumps clutch engaging/disengaging, but will it actually work in cold weather?!
As you can see, I'm new to air con!! Is there a definitive way to test its working?!
Air conditioning testing - Stuartli
HonestJohn's FAQs offer advice re A/C and keeping it in proper working order.

One thing that might puzzle you is that if the air temperature is four or five degrees Celsius or below, you won't be able to use the recirculating setting on full demist mode. It will cut out before this point is reached.

This is to prevent the interior of the car becoming misted up and reducing visibility.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Air conditioning testing - P 2501
I'm in exactly the same position Ross D! I too noticed that they all seem to come with air con,and i think i would prefer one without, but i just can't find a late HDi without it.

Have you test driven one yet to compare it with the old XUD- (i presume your old 306 is a diesel)I haven't got that far yet.

Air conditioning testing - Altea Ego
and i think i would prefer one without,

You think wrongly. :)

If a car is available with air con, Take it. There are no good reasons not to.

No I havent test driven one yet; I've only heard good things about the HDi in the 306 and my XUD has served me well, just regular servicing has been needed and a change of glowplugs last winter.
Yes, as you can see above I have a turbo diesel, its on 111K so just run in!
If anybody has any experiences comparing the old XUD9T to the new HDi DW10 it would be appreciated! By all accounts the new engine is a lot quieter and smoother than mine, along with better economy.
Air conditioning testing - Dynamic Dave
As you can see, I'm new to air con!! Is there
a definitive way to test its working?!

Get the windows misted/steamed up on the inside (how you do this is up to you!!), and see if it clears quickly by putting on the A/C. If it does, the A/C is working fine.
Air conditioning testing - Mark (RLBS)
Dave - why would that work ?

The point is that the moisture is removed because you blow warm, humid air across a cold bit of metal which causes the air to condense out of it and the air to cool.

What would make that work if the air blowing across was colder than the metal itself ? It will neither cool the air nor condense any water out of it.

Or am I missing something ?
Air conditioning testing - Dynamic Dave
Help! Someone is confusing me with science.

Mark,

All I know is that I cleared my windows within 30 seconds using the A/C the other evening. It was -2 outside, and no, I'm not going into any detail as to why the windows were misted up ;o)
Air conditioning testing - Mark (RLBS)
All I know is that I cleared my windows within 30
seconds using the A/C the other evening.

Not because it was air-conditioning, I don't think. The de-humidifying property is a total by-product and an inevitable consequence of blowing warm air across a cold piece of metal. The only thing that could make the air warmer than the heating/cooling system would have it is the outside temperature.

>>I'm not going into any detail as to why the windows were misted up ;o)

I haven't heard from No Dosh in a couple of days.
Air conditioning testing - mini, pug, landy, Andy
unless it a diferent system with no low temp limitation

as far as de-humidifying air con will clear the screen more quickly as it is dry as the moisture in the air has been removed because it has already condensed on the cold surface of the evaporator before going over the heater matrix (if selected to hot) and then onto the screen

one point to note is warm air can carry more water moisture than cold air

so warm damp air on a cold screen will mist up very fast. as i found out a couple of weeks ago when the heater matrix sprung a leak in my landy at 50 mph on the motorway (VERY scary)
the most common problem i am aware of on peugeot air con and in fact most cars is the refrigerant or 'gas' tends to escape after a few years. the control unit will then shut down the pump to prevent it running as it will be damaged if it runs with no gas

a good check is with the engine running select the a/c to on and listen for a clunk and a small drop in engine revs, this is the clutch on the pump cutting in, this is a good sign. if there was no gas left this wont happen although the a/c indicator light will still come on as normal

also bear in mind that if your doing this test in freezing cold weather the operation of the a/c is inhibited below 5 deg c. this is to prevent damage to the pump because in such cold conditions the gas will not evaporate properly in the evaporator possibly leading to the pump sucking in liquid refrigerant instead of vapour (very bad for the pump)

the best way to keep the system in good condition is simply to run it for at least 10 mins a week wether you need it or not. this ensures that the gas is passed through the drier unit which removes moisture and contamination which can easily happen if some if the rubber hoses are getting past their best it also lubricates the dynamic seals on the pump and helps to minimise gas loss. the refigerant systems on cars lead a very hard life compared with the domestic frige or freezer. vibration dirt water extemes of temparature

if however the above test does not work the system can be re-gassed for about 100 quid. the main dealer will be able to do this but there are many other places that can do it. look in the yellow pages under refrigeration give them a ring and ask if they do automotive air-con. they will connect to the system, recover any existing gas, vacuum the syetem to check for leaks and the re-charge it with the right type and ammount of gas

hope some of this helps

andy
So, how do I know if the aircon is working if I viewed the car in low temperatures? Is there no way? I'm up to speed on maintaining the air con, just testing it when viewing the car in the cold isn't!!
yes i agree its a difficult one

the aircon would behave in exactly the same way if either the low temp was inhibiting or or if it had no gas and the control unit was inhibiting it, ie u press the button the light would come on but u woulden't get the 'clunk'

the only thing i can suggest is that if the car has a temp indicator for the outside air temp and it was showing less than 5deg c and the aircon wasn't firing up the it is a good chance that the low temp is causing it not to work. not very scientific i know but dont know what else to suggest

from my own experience my 306 went for 5 years from new before i had to have it re-gassed after it refused to work. and u must admit is didn't look after it very well, running if for 10 mins etc. so if the car uare thinking of buying is quite a bit younger than 5 year old then is should still have some in

have u managed to get it to 'clunk' when u press the button?

also bear in mind that even it DOES need re-gassing if the rest of the car is A1 its not the end of the world you could use it as a bargaining tool to get some money knocked off.

a much worse situation is to have the pump cutting in but making horrible noises. amate of mine had this happen on his passat a week after he bought it 300 quid for a new pump and then another 100 quid for leak check and gas charging OUCH!!

andy
hi again just had had another think

take the car for a test drive and get it nice and hot with the heater full on hot the when u return leave it idling this will warm up the evaporater in the car interior and the heat from the radiator will warm up the condenser (which is next to the radiator)

when select full cold on the temp control and press the a/c button

you should get the 'clunk' and a drop in idle revs and also the main radiator cooling fans should come on at half speed then after no more than a minute a nice cold blast of air into the cabin

.*********

andy
must have used a bad word in the last post cos its changed it into ***********

hi again just had had another think

take the car for a test drive and get it nice and hot with the heater full on hot the when u return leave it idling this will warm up the evaporater in the car interior and the heat from the radiator will warm up the condenser (which is next to the radiator)

when select full cold on the temp control and press the a/c button

you should get the 'clunk' and a drop in idle revs and also the main radiator cooling fans should come on at half speed then after no more than a minute a nice cold blast of air into the cabin

if u dont get any of this then u must assume your test drive has taken u to the north pole or its not working and wants looking at and u want some money off before u buy it

andy
Air conditioning testing - PhilW
"By all accounts the new engine is a lot quieter and smoother than mine, along with better economy."

Spot on!
Thanks for your help everybody, hopefully might go and see a few 306's tomorrow if I get time. I'll try the full heat test! I'm also looking forward to seeing if the HDi lives up to my expectations.....
Expect a progress report tomorrow evening!!
Cheers
Well, I went and looked at a couple of cars. The first was a complete dog, high miles and a worm interior and a few minor dings on the outside.
The second was almost perfect. I even managed to test the aircon! Seriously though, the ambient temperature was high enough today for the system to work, so testing it was a doddle. Ended up buying the car, mainly on the strength of the engine, which is a real gem! (HDi 90)
Cheers all

Ross
(Proud new owner of 1999 306 HDi)
good to hear you got a good 'un

happy motoring
Air conditioning testing - P 2501
A worm interior? doesn't sound very nice at all. ;-)

Pleased you found the right car,makes me want one all the more now...