I have a Question Volume 61 - Dynamic Dave

****** This thread is now closed. Please see Volume 62, which is here:- ******

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=28007

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 61. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Premier Lodge / Travel Lodge - BobbyG
Further to my earlier post (in IHAQ vol 60), now going to book up one of these. Room for family of 4 is £44.95, but does anyone who use these places regularly know of any discount codes or anything that would be available?

I just want to pay as little as possible (Scotsman) to have the pleasure of visiting my in-laws :(
Premier Lodge / Travel Lodge - Welliesorter
Travelodges sometimes have £25 offers. As with many other things, the best way to find out about these things is to look on their web site and sign up for e-mail updates.

www.travelodge.co.uk/
Premier Lodge / Travel Lodge - Hugo {P}
Beware with Traveloge.

You cannot cancel or change the bookings made on the net once they have been made. This caught us out when we went up to Scotland a few months ago and wanted to change our plans on the way back.

That said, £25 was good value for money though. It didn't include breakfast though, but we got sorted at a Little chef or equivilent.

H
Premier Lodge / Travel Lodge - Altea Ego
Hugo

Just to clarify, that only applies to the offer deals, regular bookings at the normal rates you can cancel.
Premier Lodge / Travel Lodge - Hugo {P}
Hugo
Just to clarify, that only applies to the offer deals, regular
bookings at the normal rates you can cancel.

Correct RF
Retention of Deposit at Rented Property - Jono_99
From August of last year to August this year, I was living in a rented property. At end of lease, agent (on behalf of the landlord) retained £180 for work to be done. (Replace torn section of wallpaper, remove kitchen roll holder and replace wallpaper, and remove a keyhook attached with sticky tabs)

Last Sunday, we went back to the house to have dinner with the new tenants (we moved 50 yards up the road). It was clear, and the new tenants were happy to confirm, that the work that we were charged for has not been done. It is now over four months since we left the property.

Have I any re-dress in getting my money back? How long does an agent / owner have to 'use' the money that we have paid to do specific jobs? My understanding was that the money retained from my deposit is not a 'penalty', with which the landlord can do what they want with it, but is specifically to rectify the 'damage' we caused. If they are not going to use the money to sort the 'damage', then I want it back.

Cheers

Jono
Retention of Deposit at Rented Property - Mark (RLBS)
I doubt you have any room.

The money retained from your deposit represents the loss in value the landlord has suffered where the cost of repairing that damage is used as a means for calculating the scale of that damage.

Were we talking about car insurance, you are under no obligation whatsoever to actually use the money to repair your car.

I'm not sure why it would be different for a rental deposit.
Retention of Deposit at Rented Property - Hugo {P}
Ahh, but you could have offered to rectify the damage at your expense, thereby costing less than the £180 I suspect.

Too late now.

Hugo
Parking in Newcastle upon Tyne - Robin
Bit late for this but here goes....

Am having to brave xmas shopping hell in Newcastle upon Tyne tomorrow and would like to find a nice cheap place to park the car. Somewhere central would be nice - the idea is to be able to deposit shopping in car at intervals during the day. BTW: not the Metro Centre - horrible place. Faling central, is it possible to drop the car near a metro station, preferably near the city

Cheers
Parking in Newcastle upon Tyne - Ben {P}
Bit late but why do you not just park near West Jesmond metro? Metro takes about 6 minutes to Monument from there, and usually spaces available.
Can you identify this chap? - malteser
As a last resort, and to enable me to finish the first part of our local on-line quiz, can any one identify this winter sportsman?
tinyurl.com/5nam2
Any help gratefully received!
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
Can you identify this chap? - Altea Ego
Its a German or an Austrian skier.

Glad to be of help!

Can you identify this chap? - malteser
Or German Swiss, but it's his name I need!
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
Video Clip - Mark (RLBS)
Anybody remember that clip that was supposed to be a forumla 1 engine clip but it was some lunatic going "mnum mnum mnum"?

Need it if you've got it or know where it is.
Video Clip - Dynamic Dave
Mark,

I previously posted the link to the clip in discussion, but I'm damned if I can find it.

However, I'm sure to have it kicking around somewhere or other.
Video Clip - Mark (RLBS)
Could do with it in a real hurry if you can find it....

Thanks Dave.

Video Clip - Mark (RLBS)
Any idea what its called ?
Video Clip - Pugugly {P}
Not the one you're after but funny (and clean nonetheless)
www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/flash/p45.swf?t=Pete+Townsend
Unclickable and the full URL in case there is any doubt.
Video Clip - Adam {P}
I think this is the one you're after Mark,

www.funnyjunk.com/pages/insanity_test.htm
--
Adam
Video Clip - Mark (RLBS)
Thanks Adam, the very chappie.
Video Clip - Dynamic Dave
Well I'm glad Adam managed to find it. Just spent however long ploughing through some old CD backups, and the current hardrive to no avail.
Video Clip - Adam {P}
No problem - I never saw it on here it's just that my sister sent it to me a while back and I remembered. I laughed - am I insane?

On second thoughts....
--
Adam
R/c car battery - maz64
Hi- just bought son a radio control car for Christmas, but it's quite big and only comes with a battery pack consisting of 8x700mAh AAs. I've found another pack online with 8x1300, but it doesn't have its own charger. Would I be able to use the standard charger, and if so, how much extra time should I allow?

Standard pack (Nikko) charge time given as 4-5 hours; other pack is by 'Pro Sport', can't find info on web; shop www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/ suggested 2-3 hours on phone before I told them the standard time ('oh well it should be the same').

BTW it is a pack, not loose cells, so I can't just use standard AAs.

Cheers
John
R/c car battery - Civic8
John. what type of connection has the charger to car.If its the round type with pin + in the middle. You can buy adapter chargers with connectors of different sizes. ie to fit almost anything. Also adjustment of voltage.In your case 9.6 volts.I would think
--
Steve
Phailed Phishing Expedition - Mapmaker
If one were to attempt a phishing expedition, one might look at the following attempt as where not to start (received by email this morning & made me chuckle!). I'm really looking forward to becoming past due.

FRIEND, EBAY REQUIRES A CORRECT INFORMATION FROM YOU

ebay requires correct credit card information in full each month on accounts with balances of $1.00 or greater and if your account becomes past due. We are unable to verify or authenticate your credit/debit card information on file with us. You have been pre-indefinitely suspended from because credit cards information incorrect (credit card number, pin, expdate or cvv2 code). If you feel you have been suspended in error or want to appeal this decision by providing additional information, we offer you the ability to place or change the information you submit to us.
Phailed Phishing Expedition - Adam {P}
Mr Mapmaker,

Would be you ever so kind to send me details of all your bank accounts, complete with PIN numbers, Account numbers and credit car numbers as I need to check to see they are not duplicates of mine.

Many Thanks,

Adam

I think mine's better ;-)
--
Adam
Phailed Phishing Expedition - Stuartli
I've had two e-mails this week, the first informing me that I have been appointed Technical Services Manager for a major bank and the second offering a variety of immdiately available jobs.

Of course the pay is excellent, as you would expect when being headhunted.

However, I do have to provide my bank details in full in order that all that lovely salary can be paid into my account....:-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Phailed Phishing Expedition - Andy B
Stuartli,

can I ask how you view the contents of these spam emails? Although intreagued by some I receive, I am led to believe that opening spam is a virus/trojan risk (even through the pre-view pane) and delete all spam quickly (and with some trepidation in case I accidentally open it).

I have NAV 2004 - am I being over-cautious/neurotic?

Andy
TV Screen & Magnet - Dynamic Dave

In a moment of stupidity, I put my torch down (it has a magnetic base) on the ledge in front of my portable tv in the bedroom. It was only for a few seconds, before remembering that cathode ray tubes don't like magnets very much.

The picture has now got a slight blue tinge at the top, and a noticable green colour across the rest of the screen.

Will the screen recover over time, and if so, how long? Or is it permanently damaged?

TV Screen & Magnet - Adam {P}
Not a definitive answer by any means Dave but I hope it's the same for you and so puts your mind at rest.

1) When I helped out in the IT department in Sixth Form the screwdrivers used had magnetic tips on. However, they were used on the screens all the time. In fact, on lazy Friday afternoons there was a competition to draw the most swirly pictures on the screen using the said screwdriver but I wasn't a party in this obviously.

::ahem

2) Picture this. Get a new DVD player which you've just hooked up to some speakers. You then decide, in a moment of madness to place the speakers on top of the TV. You look at the TV and discover, with quite a bit more than mild panic that the top half of the screen is a rather fetching shade of green. Needless to say, you remove the offending items, switch the TV off and then on again and all was fine.

I hope it's the same for you.

--
Adam
switch the TV off and then on again and all was fine.
I hope it's the same for you.

Thanks for that Adam. However the torch was placed by the telly last night. At the time the picture wasn't affected, but tonight it's a different story.
TV Screen & Magnet - Civic8
DD. Try leaving it off 24/48hrs. should be time enough for tube to power down..then once switched back on may possibly be rectified..Unfortunatly. the longer the magnet is close to tube
the less chance of recovery
--
Steve
TV Screen & Magnet - Civic8
Ps DD.forgot to mention. Adam was right. and point I missed. if you cannot clear. it will need Degausing (not certain I spelt that right)
--
Steve
TV Screen & Magnet - buzbee
With the most common TV, there is a sheet of precision perforated metal that is called a shadow mask just inside back from the front glass. The beam, focused from the other end of the tube, goes through the holes to strike the correct colour phosphor/s. However, magnets deflect electron beams, (as do electrostatic fields) hence your wrong colours on the picture.

TV sets have a coil round the tube (or used to) in the vicinity of the mask, who's purpose is to demagnetise the mask at switch-off, provided the magnetism is the usual weak stuff. Perminent magnets can put in too strong a magnetism for this to work -- it needs more power.

What you need is your own (degaussing)coil. For instance, mains current running through a coil that is moved across the screen front over all its parts and then taken away while still switched on, before switching it off. You may be able to borrow one from a TV service place.

Otherwise, how venturesome do you feel? Myself I would make one using a drum of single core wire (if I had nothing else) and put a large lamp or even an electric fire in series to limit the current. You only need it on for a few seconds and must take care that the plastic wire does not get too hot -- and melt! And of course, take the usual precautions against electric shock.

The degausing coil 'quality' factor is amp-turns. So a 1 bar (4 amps) fire as ballast will need less turns than a 100 watt (0.4 amps)lamp. And if the coil has enough turns the current will be self limiting and you don't need the lamp/fire. With a 'good' coil you should be able to feel it rattle a screwdriver inserted inside it.
Your TV will be back to normal afterwards.
TV Screen & Magnet - Altea Ego
Buzbee is mostly right.

1/ you might not have a shadow mask if its a trinitron screen.

2/ TV sets (and monitors) mostly auto degauss at switch on, however to do this they need have been left off for a while to cool down. Note Switch on - not re activated from standby. It may take several attempts to completely re neutralise (degauss) the screen, so this means in practise several days.

3/ While it may be great fun to make up your own degaussing coil Its not for an amateur, and its use (there is a technique - its a bit like waving a magic wand in circles slowly pulling it away from the tube) takes practise. You could end up inducing more stray magnetism into the tube.

So Turn it off (not standby) at nights for a week. I bet it will slowly improve, If not then call out a TV repair man who can plug in and wave his magic wand.
TV Screen & Magnet - frostbite
Do you have a tape head demagnetiser?

--
Use it up : Wear it out : Make do : Do without
Not big enough - too localised, a bulk tape eraser might do it tho.
I have used 'E' cores (left open) from a transformer and the mains winding to create the field -- drop the voltage a bit if it gets hot too quickly. It has to be done quickly as it gets very hot due to the high current that flows and I purposely did not advocate this method for use by the novice. I have used it successfully a few times. As you say, it helps if you know what you are doing.
Is the trinitron not just a shadowmask with rectangular holes?
The some trinitrons are actually a series of vertical wires. You can sometimes see the bracing horizontal wire (or two) about 1/3 and 2/3 from the top. Give them a good tap and you can see the picture shimmer as the wires vibrate.
The reason you let the set cool down before switching it on to try again is because the coil (round the tube) has a thermistor connected in series with it that heats up (just as you switch on) to cut off the coil current and so you have to wait for that to cool to get a current surge at switch-on again --- sort of 5-10 minutes perhaps. Whilst such attemps might eventually succeed, I will be surprised if just waiting a week has any benificial affect at all.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions so far.
No, it's not a trinitron. It's a humble 14" portable (with teletext), made by a company called Tatung. It's approx 3 yrs old, and not worth a lot (##), but has some sentimental value as it was given to me as a present. I'm tempted to leave it be for a few days to see if it will degause itself. Failing that, I will ring the local tv shop for an estimate on having it demagnetised.

## I see new 14" portables with built in DVD players are now selling for around the £80 mark, so if I have to replace it, it's not going to break the bank. I'll just have to convince the person who bought it for me that it's knackered.
TV Screen & Magnet - Colin M
It won't demagnetise itself. Simply follow the instructions here switching it on and off, repeat after 20 mins or so. 3-4 times and it should be fixed. You can hear if the degaussing function works by the big thump sound that the TV emits when you first turn it on.

I wouldn't try to unflux it yourself or build your own degausser, you'll end up bending the shadow mask or permanently magnetising it.

TV Screen & Magnet - Vin {P}
If it's any help, I did this to my parents' TV many years ago at Christmas ( I put a magnetic toy on it ).

Ignoring the problem for a week or two did the trick, as it gradualy returned to normal.

Hope this works; it's free.

V
TV Screen & Magnet - BobbyG
Going back to one of Adski's original points, U have DVD 5.1 connected up to Tv, with the ".1" speaker sitting on top of the tv on its wee stand, as the instruction manual suggests.

Will this potentially give me problems? Its been there for coming up to a year (guess when I got it?!) but TV seems ok so far?
TV Screen & Magnet - Adam {P}
It will be fine Bobby for a few reasons:

1) As you say, it's been a year

2) The manual suggest is

3) Don't know how big the stand is but I have a computer speaker on top of monitor (moved when tidying up) and it's fine

4) I'm no T.V. expert but I'm guessing any effects would be pretty much instantaneous

--
Adam
TV Screen & Magnet - No Do$h
Going back to one of Adski's original points, U have DVD
5.1 connected up to Tv, with the ".1" speaker sitting on
top of the tv on its wee stand, as the instruction
manual suggests.
Will this potentially give me problems? Its been there for coming
up to a year (guess when I got it?!) but TV
seems ok so far?

Most speakers sold in conjunction with home cinema are magnetically shielded. I've got a dirty great pair of three-way floorstanders either side of my TV and the matching centre speaker (identical coils, just a smaller horizontal cabinet) placed within 1.5 inches of the bottom of the TV and no problems. If they weren't shielded I suspect I would have microwaved the cat within about 10 seconds of turning this lot on.
TV Screen & Magnet - tack
Actually, a magnet should help to cure it. I recall that holding a magnet at the spot where the screen has discoloured, then making sweeping movements of magnet to edge of screen, should move discolouration away. Or am I talking about de-gauzing...or is that the same?

Just to update things. Well after a couple of days of numerous turning on and off, along with turning it completely off the past couple of nights for 12 hour periods, the picture has not improved one bit.

The Simpsons made interesting viewing. Ever seen them in green?

Anyway, had a google tonight and found one or two interesting things to try.
One of which was to wave a plugged in soldering iron in front of the screen, starting in the middle and making a circular motion outwards until you're clear of the screen - didn't work. Aparantly a soldering iron has the same principles as an electromagnet.
Another was to wave the original magnet in front of the screen, again starting in the middle and circling outwards - this has improved the picture. Now only the top and bottom of the screen is still wrong.

I also found a site showing how to make my own degausser ( www.flickerdown.com/stewks/articles.php?articleId=...6 ) but before I go down this route I'll phone the local tv shop on Monday for an estimate. If it's only going to be £5 to £10, then it's not worth the bother (or risk) of electrocuting myself!!

Thanks for all your suggestions, btw.

Just to further update this. Phoned a mate today who I was sure would have a degaussing coil as he used to repair TV's, Video's & all other things electronic as a hobby. He no longer has the coil because repairing anything electronic is a waste of time these days as we now live in a disposable world where replacing the faulty product is just as cheap as trying to repair it. He's thrown out most of his kit.

Anyway, phoned the local TV shop and they still have a degaussing coil "out the back somewhere". They're gonna do it for £10.

I'd totally forgotten about the TV card in the puter until now. So I'm currently watching Wheeler Dealers (BMW Tourer) whilst typing this. (Oops sorry, wrong thread)
TV Screen & Magnet - jeds
Had this a while ago - my little girl playing with a strong magnet. Nothing shifted it. Phoned a TV repairman mate - he told me to turn the TV upside down and give it a gentle shake.

Now I can tell you I instantly told him to go away. He laughed but insisted that I give it a try. Yeah, course will.

Off the phone I turned the telly upside down and gently shook it. Fully expecting it to be a wind up I switched it back on and was amazed when it was perfect.

When I saw him next, without saying a thing to him, he grinned and asked if the telly was alright? We then burst into laughter. (you had to be there) He new I thought it was a wind. up.

It worked though. Give it a try.
mobile phone battery dead? - Imagos
Help! Don't know if this should be in mobile phone thread or here. my mobile phones battery level display has disapeared off the screen and phone wont charge, Has battery had it or phone or both? Phone is a Samsung N600, anyone help?

TIA
mobile phone battery dead? - Robin Reliant
Only way to find out is take it to a shop and ask them to try a new battery. Another possibility is the charger may be faulty. I have a range of chargers for various devices and the quality of most of them seems to be on the cheap and nasty side. I have had to replace them in the past after first junking what I though were dead batteries. If you have a car charger see if that works.
mobile phone battery dead? - Altea Ego
Odds on battery gone, this is the way they exhibit terminal decline. You could try cleaning the battery contacts.

Part from that its try a new battery or a new charger.
mobile phone battery dead? - Stuartli
Try using the phone to make a call whilst connected to the charger. If it works then it's the battery, if not the charger could have gone kaput.

As pointed out, rechargeable batteries of this nature expire without warning after repeated recharges.

You've probably had the same result at some time if you have a cordless landline phone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Seems to charge ok now and hold charge but still no battery display and no message on screen to say phone on charge even when charger plugged in, so is a really weird thing,never come across this with it before. I'll order a battery from here www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/sitemap . then see what happens. thanks for replies..
mobile phone battery dead? - Dynamic Dave
from here www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/sitemap .

Link not working, even after I moved the full stop. You could also try SNIP - the link I posted has been removed as I've recently had a bad experience with the company and don't wish to allow them to have a free plug as I don't consider they deserve it

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/09/2009 at 22:29

www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/sitemap.html

Strange,

thanks Dynamic link you posted much better site, apprieciate that.
New battery, mobile forgets time - NowWheels
Got a replacement battery for my mobile (Sony J6). Charged it up for 24hrs, and it seems to work fine. Just one annoying thing: it forgets the time when it's been switched off, whereas with the original battery, it remembered.

Is this a duff battery, or is it just that a non-Sony battery may be missing some magic function that keeps the date alive?
New battery, mobile forgets time - Adam {P}
Does it "remember" other things such as ringtones etc?
--
Adam
Yes Adam, that's what odd. It remembers ringtones, and everything except date&time.
New battery, mobile forgets time - Altea Ego
Thats cos ringtones, logos, and call memory is all in flash memory - does not need power to keep its memory.

The clock is not in memory and is actually alive all the time so needs power.

I suspect your new battery is missing a terminal. Examine both very carefully.
RF - is there anything you don't know?
--
Adam
Upon reflection, that looks like I'm implying you're some kind of know it all which of course I wasn't. I was saying it with...admiration.

:-)
--
Adam
If it's the battery NW then upon having a very brief look, I think it's a touch under 15 quid for a new one but I stress I haven't looked very hard.

£14.95 is the best I can do.
--
Adam
New battery, mobile forgets time - frostbite
Is there an option in Setup (or whatever) to enable clock?
New battery, mobile forgets time - BobbyG
"Upon reflection, that looks like I'm implying you're some kind of know it all which of course I wasn't. I was saying it with...admiration."

Hear hear! After some advice before from RF, I managed to fix every Nokia in my extended family!

It was so simple but they didn't know that!
I wondered how my son had so many different Nokia phones. It took me a while to twig he was running a Nokia repair business and guess who his employee (unpaid) was.

New battery, mobile forgets time - Hugo {P}
What an opportune moment RF :)))

I have a Nokia 3410, which has not been used for some time. I would like to get it working again and unlock it using that site that Adam (sorry, Dynamic) pointed me to a few weeks ago. {edited by DD}

I tried charging it and it won't. I know the battery is fine because I tested that it a 3330, and the 3330 batttery also failed to kick start the 3410 (it has before).

Any further ideas?

Thanks

Hugo
Hugo

Nokia phone are mostly built on the sandwich principal.
Three layers with small torx screws through them holding it all together. The layers have small gold contacts or sprung pins which mate on small contact pads.

Trouble is Nokias breathe. They expand and contract, breath in moisture the pins and pads all move and get dirty and loose.

On the 3xxx series you remove the covers and take out the torx screws on the keyboard/display layer and run a thumbnail up the side to release the plastic catches where not screwed. It all becomes obvious when you take one apart.

All the little connectors (some sprung levers and some sprung pins) need to be cleaned with a pen knife. The corresponding pads where the pins contact need to be cleaned as well.

Common faults on the 3xxx series is:

lack of power: The battery contacts are built into a removeable 90 degree right angle block onto the main board. - All contact points need to be cleaned.
Lack of signal: The Aerial pad is connected to the main circuit board by sprung gold pins. Need to be cleaned at the circuit board end and the aerial end (the aerial pad is held in place
with plastic clips).
Keyboard Fails on certain keys: ( I call this snake syndrome) The pads on the main circuit board need to be cleaned and the keyboard dimples or domes need to be cleaned and re profiled back into a dome (a matchstick is good for this)

On the nokia 5100/6100/6300 the screws are in the back battery compartment, remove them and again run a finger nail deep up the sides to release the clips. They are built to the same sandwich design Common faults: no power - similar as above
Blank or garbled display - dirty contact pads on the main circuit board.

When dealing with display problems NEVER clean the contacts on the display, they are fragile and will easily be destroyed.

All above is possible when you buy the correct torx screwdriver (its a t6 or a t8) cant remember but any little local electrical shop or computer fair will have them, about three quid to buy.
New battery, mobile forgets time - Hugo {P}
Thanks RF.

We have over the years collected a number of Nokia 3xxx phones. We each had a 3310, then a 3330, then I got the 3410 when the wife opted for a Motorola v50 (flip phone). I have had problems with one 3310 and the 3410. We want to purge them and flog them for a pittence on e bay or similar, though I have to admit, I personally hate my Motorola A835 on 3 mobile. It's so big! So I may switch back to a Nokia for the remainder of this contract.

Hugo
RF, thanks v much for that pointer. I have compared the old and new batteries, and both have 3 terminals, in identical places. In fact, the two batteries seem to be identically shaped. So I tried cleaning the contacts, but no joy -- date still gets lost.

I guess that the new (3rd party) battery must have omitted some bit of circuitry which the original one included. Anyway, at least the new one should last all day, so I won't have go switching it on and off so much!
Hot water freezes quicker than cold (!) - L'escargot
A non-scientific friend of mine insists that hot water freezes quicker than cold. My science education tells me that this theory is against all the rules of nature, and is merely an old wives' tale.

Can any of you more erudite guys (or gals) give me scientific proof that hot water does in fact freeze quicker than cold?

I've bet a pint of (cold!) beer and a (hot!) toddy that I'm correct!
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Hot water freezes quicker than cold (!) - Stargazer {P}
Yes, tried it to win a bet, sorry but you may be on a loser here.

see math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/hot_water.h...l

and many other descriptions

StarGazer
Hot water freezes quicker than cold (!) - L'escargot
Yes, tried it to win a bet, sorry but you may
be on a loser here.
see math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/hot_water.h...l
and many other descriptions
StarGazer

Thanks, StarGazer.

So.......hot water can (under certain, but by no means all, conditions) freeze quicker than cold. I think we'll call the bet null and void!
--
Hot water freezes quicker than cold (!) - Hugo {P}
A couple of other scientific anomolies,

Why does water expand when it tuns into a solid, when other liquids actually reduce in volume when they change state from liquid to solid?

Why is glass defined as a liquid?

I think I know the answer to the second one, but does anyone out there have any explanations to either?

H
Hot water freezes quicker than cold (!) - Stargazer {P}
Hugo

1. Water actually starts expanding as it cools from 4degC to 0degC then expands again as it freezes....water is an unusual molecule with strong hydrogen bonding.

see www.iapws.org/faq1/freeze.htm

2. Glass is a super cooled fluid....it slowly changes shape and flows over long peroids of time. As opposed to a crystalline structure which has a rigid molecular structure.

StarGazer
Hot water freezes quicker than cold (!) - Robin
At last, something I know about.

Glass is defined as a liquid because it is amorphous. That is, it has no crystal structure and can actually flow. The molecules are disordered but rigidly held.The viscosity is extraordinarily high, typically 10 to the power 13; compare water at 0.01 poise. Glass is not a simple supercooled liquid: there is actually a phase transition between the liquid and glassy states. However, this is not accompanied by any latent heat of fusion nor a discontinuity in the density but in the heat capacity. Therefore, it is a 2nd order transition. It is often said that the windows in mediavel churches are thicker at the bottom due to glass flowing: this is not true and is related to the production processes used a the time.

The water question is much more complex and is due to the unique hydrogen bonding properties of the water molecule. The same reasoning explains the anomolously high boiling point of water and also a range of its other physical properites.

Hot water freezes quicker than cold (!) - PhilW
"Why does water expand when it tuns into a solid, when other liquids actually reduce in volume when they change state from liquid to solid?"

God designed it that way. If water was at its densest when it froze it would freeze at the surface and then sink. Hence lakes would freeze from the bottom up and all the fish would freeze to death. Because it is less dense when it freezes it forms a layer on the surface and all the little fishes can swim around in the denser water below until the spring thaw and we still have fish. God designed water to be different like this. It's obvious.

Hot water freezes quicker than cold (!) - tack
Hot Water/Freeze..
Yes, it does freeze quicker. When you chill something like liquid, the liquid tries to heat up the entity trying to cool it thereby expending energy and, itself, cooling. Hot water will expend energy more quickly, thereby freezing quicker. Ice cubes don't cool your gin and tonic by just dumping its cool nature into the warmer liquid. The liquid attacks the ice cubes to generate warmth, hence the ice melts as it gets warmer, but the liquid loses warmth as it uses its energy.

I know you understand what you thought I said, but what I said wasn't what you thought I meant. I think.....doh!
Hot water freezes quicker than cold (!) - Civic8
Volume equates to quick melt/freeze.actually lost you for a bit Tack??
--
Steve
Rechargable batteries. - Andy B
Ive recently bought some new Uniross 2300mAh AAs for my digital camera along with a new Ansmann Digispeed 4 charger (£50 – so it’s a goodun). The problem is, the 2300s last 10-20 per cent of the time of my usual Uniross 2100 mAhs (charged in the same charger) and suddenly die with no low battery symbol showing.

The charger has individual cell charging and monitoring, but it seems to me that its just not up to the job of charging the 2300s. After approx 4 charges the 2300s seem(?) to be lasting slightly longer but I thought that NiMhs were unaffected by any bracketing/memory.

In addition, the 2300s seem to last slightly longer when charged with my old £15 basic charger.

Any ideas before I bin the 2300s.

thanks
Andy
Rechargable batteries. - Altea Ego
In my experience NiMh batteries - while better - do exhibit some of the traits of Nicads.

NiMh batteries DO require conditioning up front, a couple of deep discharges followed by full recharges will lengthen the life and output. Regular half use cycles will input some memory affect into the batteries and render them less potent. Whjen a NimH fails it just seems to happen suddenly with little prior warning and they do have a cycle life - ie they wont last for ever.

In this case I suspect the charger is not capable of giving the full 2300 miliamp hour charge.
Rechargable batteries. - buzbee
Andy, the lack of charge in the batteries could be because the batteries are duff, (try what RF says) or because the charger is inadequate for the job.

NiMh batteries are usually intelligently charged and it is important that the charger is of the right design to do that. It is NOT just a case of charging a NiMh battery until it reaches a certain voltage. It has to be much more than that.

What actually happens is the charger *observes* the voltage rising until it starts to fall back and then it switches off after a certain fallback. That is a characteristic of NiMh batteries. They go over their peak if you continue with the charging.

To see how good or bad the charge in a battery is, you should really fit one battery into a battery holder so that you can put a discharge resistor across and take out about 0.2 amps (something like a 5 ohms resistor) Then after a number of hours see what the voltage is so that you can work out the amp-hours down to, say, 1 volt. It should be near to your expected 2300 mAH = 2.3AH = 10hours at 0.23 amps.
Room Ventilation - Robin
I need some advice about how to stop condensation in a bedroom. We have double glazed windows (about 15 years old - original to the house) in our bedroom. when it is cold outside the windows invariably are covered with condensation on the inside in the morning. (not in the gap between the panes, I think the vacuum is OK.)I have looked for an air vent or similar but there isn't one. Short of buying a dehumidifier is ther anything I can do to prevent this happening?

Cheers
Room Ventilation - Altea Ego
Being old windows, they may not have a "thermal break" in the frames. Whats this means is the ouside frames get cold, transfer the cold into the frames on the inside and then cool the inside glass.

Condensation is almost always caused by lack of Air Movement.
Room Ventilation - Mark (RLBS)
The only thing which will stop condensation is air movement/circulation. Hence, an air brick, or an extractor/fan or similar or the window open a little are your best bets.

Clearly the double glazing is still aloowing the inside to be sufficiently cool to cause the condensation.

What is the heat source ? It may be that something a little less moisture generating would be a better idea. I am assuming that with condensation its an open fire or a gas heater ??

Houses, especially older houses, were never designed to be air tight. Some drafts are good. Lack of drafts is frequently a cause of damp in the house. So be careful you're not getting condensation in places that you can't see it.
Room Ventilation - L'escargot
IM not so HO firstly you have to deal with the moisture that already exists in both the inside air and the structure of your house, and secondly you have to combat whatever continuing sources of moisture that you have. The only (yes, only) worthwhile remedy is a dehumidifier. We have had one since 1988, and it is the best thing since bread, sliced or otherwise. (In fact we've recently bought a second to use in the garage ~ it dries a wet car completely overnight.) A dehumidifier may not stop condensation on your windows completely, but the amount you get should be minimal. There are other benefits such as being able to dry damp clothes/washing indoors. Also you'll get no more mould growths in room corners.

Look at your lifestyle, and try to minimise the amount of moisture that you produce. Showering without having a window open, and without having an extractor working is one of the worst culprits where condensation is a problem. Gas cookers/hobs produce moisture by the very fact that they burn gas. Boiling vegetables in a saucepan produces more moisture than using a pressure cooker.

Use the dehumidifier continously from October to March inclusive, either moving it from one room to another as suits you, or keeping it somewhere central such as the hall or landing.

Calculate the running cost, based on it's wattage, and you will find that it is very reasonable.
--
Room Ventilation - Robin
Some interesting points here. The heat source is my wife and I and sometimes our 4 year old son. We have an en-suite shower in the main bedroom so this of course explains the condensation. I should have realised that! However, we see it in the morning even when the shower was not used the previous evening. We also see the problem in one of the spare bedrooms, which is some distance away from the en-suite. I think it is time for a de-humidifer, although I am a bit worried about the noise it makes. I suppose leaving it on all day until bed-time and making sure the en-suite window is open or the extractor is on will solve this.

Many thanks
Room Ventilation - Hugo {P}
I am with Mark on this one. OK a dehumidifier may help with the problem, but for your health I would recommend ventilation.

I think you can get aftermarket trickle vents for UPVC double glazing, if that's what you've got. If it's te old wooden windows then you definitely can get the vents for those. They are actually very easy to fit. They sit in the outer frame at the top.

Another cheaper version to a dehumidifier that we used in Leicester is silica gel containers sat on the inside window sills of the problem windows. These cost us around a fiver each and the refill came in a small tub which cost a similar amount. It does the same thing as a dehumidifier, it takes moisture out of the atmosphere but doesn't run up an electricity bill!

We got ours from Texas Homercare as was. I would guess any DIY store would be a good bet.

Hugo
Room Ventilation - jeds
There are three ways to deal with condensation; reduce moisture vapour at source, reduce moisture vapour by ventilation or eliminate cold surfaces. I suppose you could also include collect moisture by machine and empty down sink (a dehumidifier) but this has to be the worse option.

In a bedroom the source is the body. The body evaporates very high quantities of moisture over night - much more than most people realise. Not easy to reduce. I suppose you could sleep in the garden.

Next best is ventilate. But this can be very inconvenient and will be of limited benefit if you have cold surfaces. i.e. if you had single glazing and high levels of ventilation you will still get condensation on the windows. Remember the old days?

Next is check surface temperatures. In your case I would check the quality of the glazing units? You might be able to cure the problem dead by changing them for better quality ones - how old are they?
Is 'Mark All Read' redundant? - frostbite
Sometimes I forget to click on MAR before I leave, sometimes just read a few intending to read other unread stuff later.

When I return, it's just as if I have clicked MAR because only stuff posted since I last visited shows up 'new'. Anyone else found this?
Is 'Mark All Read' redundant? - Dynamic Dave
Anyone else found this?

Has happened to me since I fisrt subscribed here.