Ideal small(ish) car required - volvoman
Hi all, Mrs V. will be taking her test in a few months time and (hopefully) passing first time. When she does I'd like to get her another car to replace her ultra reliable Skoda Felicia which doesn't have power steering. Can anyone suggest a car of similar size which would suit. She probably won't be doing many miles or long journeys but it will need 5 doors and MUST be economical and very reliable. Could be auto/manual, diesel/petrol and aged up to say 5 years. All being well it will be a stop gap whilst she gains experience and accrues her NCB before moving onto something else a bit sportier. Looks and badge are relatively unimportant (which is how she came to marry me :) ).
Ideal small(ish) car required - teabelly
Honda jazz or toyota yaris if she wouldn't mind something a little smaller. Skoda Fabia would be the best replacement or the equivalent Seat if she definitely wants the same size of car.
teabelly
Ideal small(ish) car required - Citroënian {P}
I'd agree with Teabelly - the Fabia is a lovely little car, a worthy replacement for the MINI. That said, if you've money to spare the MINI One is superb. Of the others this size, the Punto is great value for money.

You're almost spoilt for choice in this sector - how much were you thinking of spending? Does she need to ferry kids/dogs/shopping around a lot?
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Ideal small(ish) car required - NowWheels
Volvoman, I suggest you encourage her to try a few difft cars and see what she feels confident in. Yaris is delightfully easy to drive, and worth a look, but pricy s/h. An old-shape Micra is also v easy to drive around town (with great visibility for easy parking), but a bit wobbly on the open road, which can really dent confidence. I find the old-shape Fiesta nice to drive, but it feels cramped inside.
Ideal small(ish) car required - volvoman
Thanks T, C & NW. Yes I suppose we are spoilt for choice and I suppose I've been a bit vague because the size isn't crucial except that the likes of the Yaris, Corsa and Punto are too small. We do have 2 kids and definitely want 5 doors. I'd say she wouldn't want anything bigger than a Golf really.

As for age and budget - well those are factors in the sense that it's only a stopgap car for an inexperienced driver until insurance costs allow us to acquire what she really wants. Have no reason to avoid a good reliable car that's more than 5 years old if it fits the bill. Budget up to about £4k I suppose but lowish insurance group preferable. Thanks all.