peugeot 306 dt 1997 black smoke - kyle richmond
The car appears to struggle to run and blows out clouds of black smoke, could it be the egr valve or turbo or would the car run even if these were faulty, or is it more likely to be the timing or fuelling?
peugeot 306 dt 1997 black smoke - JohnPug
It may just need a new air filter. Or the injectors are dirty, a shot of 'redex diesel treatment' followed by an 'Italian Tuneup' works wonders.
peugeot 306 dt 1997 black smoke - greatspirit
Agree, renew air filter and fuel filter and get the injectors checked
These have boh been done already
peugeot 306 dt 1997 black smoke - RichardW
Kyle,

Is this the car you've just had the head off? I reckon the cambelt is a tooth or two out - very easy to do on the injection pump. EGR probably wouldn't make that much difference, but you could just disconnect it to see. Failed turbo will make blue smoke (inlet side) or white smoke (exhaust side). Grey / black is probably badly burnt diesel caused by the timing being out - unless you still have compression problems....

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Compression appears to be fine, the pulley are all locked up and the flywheel was locked so the timing should be ok or could it still be out?
peugeot 306 dt 1997 black smoke - itchy
I have found that it can go one tooth out after refitting if the tensions arent equal both sides of the cam pulley when fitting. Just lock them down again and see if it all aligns. If it does then it sounds like a fuel or compression issue.
I have tried turning the pump in the slots and the smoke has dissapeared, so i think the belt was out a tooth, cheers everyone