Xantia 1.9 TD : Engine boom / power reduction - Chad R
My Xantia Estate 1.9TD seems to be suffering from an engine boom (noise) at over 2500rpm, certainly more noticeable and gets louder through higher revs. It?s just the same engine noise as usual, but a bit louder.
(Doesn?t sound like a leaky exhaust or similar, though it may be from the manifold??)
The power seems to be very slightly down too, but that may be my down to my imagination.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Chad.R

PS. The car has done 127K miles, always serviced every 6K, cambelt replaced at 125K and clutch replaced at 108K etc. etc.
Re: Xantia 1.9 TD : Engine boom / power reduction - andy bairsto
sounds to me like the front box is on the way out I had the same on my 2.5td xm at 140000km
Re: Xantia 1.9 TD : Engine boom / power reduction - Chad R
I don't like to sound ignorant but what is the "front box"........... air box??

and more importantly how much is it going to cost to repair/replace?

Is it something that I may be able to live with for a while i.e another 5K ?

Chad. R
Xantia 1.9 TD : Engine boom / power reduction - David Lacey
I suggest you wait until it drops off.
Re: Xantia 1.9 TD : Engine boom / power reduction - Guy Lacey
Front box means one of the silencer boxes on the exhaust. The "back box" is the final silencer - usually the one you can see from behind.

Waiting until it drops off is not a great idea. Would you like it if you were driving along a motorway when someones exhaust falls apart?

Go to a *decent* independant garage (I wouldn't, personally, go to a national chain as they will just sell you shock absorbers)
Xantia 1.9 TD : Engine boom / power reduction - David Lacey
Hmmmm I find that hard to believe!
Rear silencers on BX's are a favourite for holes after 2 years!

David
Re: Xantia 1.9 TD : Engine boom / power reduction - Chad R
Should have realised that "front box" meant front silencer .......DUHH !

I'm not sure about the front box but the rear box was replaced at around 110K when it broke off at the joint on a trip back from Inverness (to London). The joint broke about 50 miles into a journey of nearly 600 - and we were doing it overnight too so couldn't get it repaired - can you imagine the racket! well think of it continously for over 8 hours! My ears were ringing for days afterwards. (Interestingly, it didn't seem to effect the fuel cons)

Thanks for the advise gentlemen, I'm taking the car to have the "sqealing brakes" (see earlier thread) looked at, so I'll kill 2 birds.............

Chad.R
Re: Xantia 1.9 TD : Engine boom / power reduction - John Douglas
Having a Zantia 2.1TD, I had similar trouble at less that three years old. The rear box of the exhaust system looked like new, however the joint between the pipe and the front of the box rusted through and snapped. It seems to be a weakness of diesel Zantias. I also own an eleven year old BX which even now is only on it's second rear box.
Re: Xantia 1.9 TD : Engine boom / power reduction - Andrew T
I can't speak for catted diesel exhausts, but my wife's 205 DT is still on its original exhaust (yes, all of it) at 11 years / 85K miles. Must be all the soot inside protecting it from corrosion.
Re: Xantia 1.9 TD : Engine boom / power reduction - Richard P
Another reason for the exhausts lasting longer on diesel engined vehicles could be that due to more efficient combustion, the resulting exhaust gases are cooler than in a petrol engined car.
It is also why turbochargers last longer on diesel engines, as on a petrol engined car, hotter exhaust temps will wear bearings and reduce the oils lubricity faster...well that's my theory anyway!
Diesel exhausts - John Slaughter
Richard

Surely Cooler exhaust gas = lower exhaust temps = more condensation= more corrosion?

Must be some other effect.

Regards

JS