Vauxhall Astra 2.0DTI - Y20DTH - Engine - Astra_2.0_dti
Just having to replace my engine !

What had happened was the oil seal had gone in the turbocharger......The other week the car starts throwing out a LOT of whiteish smoke, the revs go sky high, I pull over, turn off the ignition, pull out the key get out thinking it's gonna catch fire and it's still revving to extreme !!

The more I talk to people about what happened, the MORE I hear about people they know who have had the same experiences on other Vauxhalls, Astras and Vectras... exactly the same thing happening, ie...oil seal gone in the turbocharger and then it starts to suck oil from the engine and burn it throwing the revs off the scale (even with the key out!) until it knackers the engine.

Do you think it could be cheap seals Vaux are using in the turbos?! Anyone else heard/seen this ???

Vauxhall Astra 2.0DTI - Y20DTH - ENGINE - Roly93
I doubt if the turbo seal issue is specific to this engine, as I think many other cars/marqes use the same turbo, (probaly one of the Garrett VNT series of turbos).
Vauxhall Astra 2.0DTI - Y20DTH - ENGINE - Astra_2.0_dti
Dodgy turbochargers then ?

From the amount of cases I've heard about now regarding this happening to other turbo diesels, it really doesn't instill much confidence for the future.

:-(
Vauxhall Astra 2.0DTI - Y20DTH - Engine - bikemade3
Could this be caused by people over filling the oil level on these engines because of the percieved oil usage problem.The engine then sucking and running because the level is to high. I was once advised to keep the oil level on a TD half way in between the max and min, why i do not know.
Vauxhall Astra 2.0DTI - Y20DTH - Engine - Astra_2.0_dti
Hmm, I was very well aware of the oil consumption on this particular engine and had queried with Vauxhall, the amounts of oil it was using but was reassured it was normal.

After the engine had done this and subsequently died, Vauxhall had it for a week (plus consultation with Vauxhall technical) before admitting they "didn't know what had caused it".

I find it a little 'worrying' that they didn't know what had caused it?! And since speaking to a few other people / garages now it is apparent that this is not so uncommon among turbo diesels.