Cooling system flushing - GrahamF1
Could anyone please clarify why it's necessary to remove the themostat when flushing engine coolant passages?

Does the presence of thermostat (closed) trap coolant in a particular part of the system? I recently drained my Passat's coolant (without removing the thermostat) and although I didn't measure the quantity, it seemed to be somewhat short of the specified amount. Upon refilling, it took about a litre and a half less than the spec to fill the system.

Any ideas? I'm doing the coolant tomorrow on the girlfriend's Fiesta.
Cooling system flushing - huggy
The reason you can't put in the specified amount is that
coolant remains in the block unless you have separate drainage points on the block.
How does one get it out then, assuming that there are no drainage points on the block? Does removing the thermostat allow it all to flow out?
Cooling system flushing - Altea Ego
Removing the thermostat is advisable when flushing because it will be cold and therefore doing its job and blocking off parts of the cooling system, hence preventing you from flusing properly.
Cooling system flushing - Dynamic Dave
How does one get it out then,

You can't. ## The best you can do is undo the lowest hose you can find. Flushing the system through with a hosepipe will generally remove most of the old carp.

## Unless you take the enigne out and turn upsidedown, of course!
Cooling system flushing - dieselnut
All the cars i've had have a block drain bolt. Or has this been done away with by manufacturers, saves one hole/tap/bolt, should reduce price (increase profit) by 50 pence.
Any idea where it is on Ford's 1.3 OHV Endura block?