BMW 7 series? - Nick Jackson
I am currently working in Moscow and when I came out here sold my excellent 1991 Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0GLi, which had served me well for four years and had 120,000 miles on the clock and was still going strong when I sold it.

However, when I return to the UK in six months or so I am tempted to treat myself to a BMW 7 series, as all the write up's I have read state what an amazing car it is and what great value they are second hand, except that is for the running costs which sound potentially horendous. I have a budget of around £12,000 - 15,000, which means that I would be looking at a car about five years old and also possiibly with high milage. Has anyone any experience of running a new shape BMW 7 series at this age and with plus 100,000 miles? I would be interested to hear of the reliability and running costs experienced. Also is it necessary to take them to a BMW garage, I have always in the past avoided main garages, as they are have generaly proven in my experience anyway, to be pretty useless and also expensive.

Also, are there any alternatives or am I better going for a safer (and more boring) option, say for instance a Mondeo etc.?
Re: BMW 7 series? - honestjohn
Dear Nick,

Check the news report on the auction at BCA Blackbushe on Friday and you will see that a 54,000 mile 98R 735i E38 sold for £16,500, which is £2,000 under trade book, but I still thought this was dear. The reason is that company car drivers are having an exodus out of this sort of motor now they realise what the cars are going to cost them under the new benefit tax regime from next April. So there will be a flood of the things and prices will drop. Stay away from BMW franchises and your service costs needn't be too bad. But don't touch any 7 Series that doesn't have a steel bore lined engine.

HJ
Re: BMW 7 series? - Tom
Mate bought a 93 K 740i 100,000 on the clock £5,000. I know it is a bit older than what you are after. But is now currently having a new engine put in due a problem that is inherent to this engine previously BMW have replaced this under manufacturers goodwill but he is having to fork out £2,000.