Another Renault Clio starting problem - bek
I have been reading the earlier articles about Coolant Temperature Sensors getting corroded and causing faulty readings. But I'm not totally sure whether this is the same problem. When cold my clio (which is a 1998 S-reg 1.6 RXE) starts fine, but, if I drive somewhere then leave it for half an hour or so, when I come to restart, the engine starts, but idles at very low revs, almost stalling, and very shaky.

It happened again today, and I let it run for about 5 minutes, didn't seem to get much better, but managed to drive back to work, at first it seems very reluctant to accelerate at it's usual rate, and then it suddenly kicked into action.

My dad had a quick look and he said that the top of the sensor connector looked ok, but the bottom looked a bit corroded on the outside, but he couldn't check properly because it was hot.

Any thoughts?
Another Renault Clio starting problem - big davey
Hi there,
We are replacing alot of crank sensors on clios just now, but normally non starters. worth a try.
Another Renault Clio starting problem - PhilW
I remember a quote from Adam Going (Tune up) who said that replacing the CTS was always a good starting point since it was cheap and easy to do. I followed his advice - cost £23 and half an hour of my (very amateur) labour and solved a problem which a garage had quoted £600 to solve - and it wouldn't have solved it because it was the CTS at fault!
Others (experts) may well advise other things!!
Is there anywhere online where I can order the part?
Another Renault Clio starting problem - cheddar
Have a look at the following thread:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=26...9
Thanks for the input so far guys, I'm going to order the CTS later on, and we'll see how it goes from there.
I would hang on to you money, fill it up with Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate, give it a good long run, motorway, plus fast A roads using the revs, see whether that improves things before changing any parts.
I usually use BP Ultimate anyway. (And if I don't, it's ordinary BP) The problem only occurs in cold weather. The car is fine first thing in the morning, it's just if I drive it somewhere and it warms up and then I leave it for half an hour or so that I get a problem. The part is only 25quid, and all of the other posts about clios seem to indicate that this will solve it. The fuel thing did occur to me, as it felt like it needed a good rev to get some fuel through, but you can smell petrol when I rev it.
Hi, It is not so much a matter of getting fuel through, rather as I said in another post the the quality of the fuel being a factor in respect of the electronic control of the idle via a potentiometer on the throttle body. Using better quality fuel helped on the wife's Clio RXE though if you already use good fuel then, yes, perhaps replace the CTS.
Well, I (actually, Dad) changed the CTS on Saturday, and it hasn't made any difference. So now the plan is to take it to Renault so they can see what's wrong with it. But they can't see it until after Christmas (they never look that busy to me!?) Judging by the other posts on this topic, this is where it could get expensive!
Just thought I would keep you updated!
Another Renault Clio starting problem - thenuke
Bek

Had a very simular fault with my 1998 1.2 clio.Changed the CTS. No change then removed the Flywheel sensor, give it a clean at replaced it,can get crudy at also there is an optimum gap .Took 15 mins max. Not a problem since.Also enquired with renault how much for a new one cost £17.00+ vat .Aafter looking on the internet these can break down when hot causing poor starting when hot.The car turns over but does,nt send a signal to the plugs to fire because it doesn't think the car is turning over. Hope this might help instead of paying renault

Regards
UPDATE:
Dad checked out the flywheel sensor, which he said was not clogged up or particularly dirty, gave it a clean anyway, but the problem persisted. My car was already booked in for diagnostics at Renault (today) so I thought I would see what they had to say.

Turns out that it was the ignition coil. Is going to cost £106 at a Renault garage to fix, so I am quite happy.

Other things to note if you have the problem: I found that when I turned on the A/C, and things like that, its revs went even lower to the point of almost cutting out.

After driving for a while the car would suddenly burst into action and be back to normal.

I'm going to collect my car this afternoon, so I don't know if it's fixed totally, but I am confident as I just found a post on here from someone who had exactly the same clio, and it was the same problem. Hooray!
Another Renault Clio starting problem - ChaoticLilOj
Hi,

did this solve your problem? as I am also having this kind of issue and havent had any luck with my local dealers.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks