1992 Passat fuel tank - tamginelli
Hi,
Im now the not so proud owner of a VW Passat 1992, 1.6 TD estate....
On the fuel gauge it says 15 gallon as the tank capacity. Can anyone confirm this as correct?
The gauge is a bit dodgy, going from full to half full now and again, so Im not actually sure whats in it, but I put 10 gallons in the other week and got 550 miles from it before I copped out and filled it up again! Thats 55 MPG, so if it holds 15 gallons, I will get 825 miles froma full tank!!!There is no way that is right (though i pray it is!)

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers,

T
--
Remember, fun is the key, but remain seated at all times or you may die. SHABBA!
1992 Passat fuel tank - Civic8
Would suspect a possible fuel guage sender unit prob..may be a connection issue..15 gallon is average..though wonder at mileage on full tank..though not impossible
--
Steve
1992 Passat fuel tank - Hugo {P}
At 55 mpg x 15 = 825

Not unheard of. Some of these diesels have one hell of a range.

Also, dont forget, the tank may be a standard design for that car, so petrol varients may share it or one similar but the range would not be so great.

If you want to check mpg; brim the tank. Reset your trip counter then drive it until next time you fill up. Note mileage and divide this by the no of gallons you need to brim the tank again - that's your consumption.

H
1992 Passat fuel tank - tamginelli
Thats what I did to get at 55mpg, Hugo.
The thing is, I dont want to run it completely empty to see how much it holds...it just works out that the two times I filled it I put in 10 gallons.
You reckon then that some diesel can get 850 miles out of a tank then?!
--
Remember, fun is the key, but remain seated at all times or you may die. SHABBA!
1992 Passat fuel tank - Cambridge
My 1990 diesel 205 gave 55 mpg for years.

Its fuel gauge did start to play up. I took out the sender unit and pulled it apart. Inside the tube was thick goo tangled around the float and spring. Looked like tar. Removed this and it worked like new.

Now I have a petrol Passat estate. I don't like thinking about its fuel consumption...
1992 Passat fuel tank - JohnM{P}
The '94 Passat estate had a 70litre tank, which equals 15.4 galls. After nozzle shutoff, if you had the patience, you could get another 20 litres in to brim it. Are you sure you are filling up to the same point? If you really do brim it, you will have an excellent range (I regularly got 700+ miles on a tank (63 litre) on my 110bhp TDI Passat saloon; I cannot say what the range was on the estate, as my wife drove it). 55mpg would be good for the TDi estate; the TD's were thirstier.