Renault Scenic smart wipers - Bats
My wifes car is a 51 Scenic 2.0 16v petrol model. It has the 'smart' wiper system that switches the front wipers to intermittent when the vehicle comes to a standstill - only it has stopped doing that, and they are not smart any more. The wipers continue to wipe normally when the car is stopped. Yes, you guessed it, the car is now a few weeks out of warranty. Has anyone any suggestions what the problem may be?
Renault Scenic smart wipers - Altea Ego
Do the wipers behave normally on manual otherwise? NO stoping in the middle of the screen? go to all the right speeds when selected? turn off when you turn them off? If everything else wiper wise works 100% normally its the speed sensor or connection therefrom. Any other speed related things stopped working (auto door lock?)

If you have any other symptoms of wiper misbehaviour its the relay or wiper motor switch (usually the switch, happens when cold - goes away in the summer)

Renault Scenic smart wipers - huschie
I noticed exactly the same wiper misbehaviour you described (I've got a Scenic 1.6 l, 16 V Kaleido, Modell 1998). Wipers stop while they're in the middle of the screen or else they don't stop though I turned them off.
I treated the wiper motor's connector with a contact spray but it didn't help.
I tried to look after the relay but couldn't locate it. From its 'clicking' it seems they placed it in the box behind the fuses. But how to remove that box?
Is the motor switch you mentioned as a possible cause directly attached to the wiper motor?
How did you help yourself with that problem?

I'd be deeply grateful to hear about it.

Best Regards and a happy new year wishes
Huschie
(Please apologize my poor English - I'm from Germany:-)
Huschie

Dont worry about the English, your English is better than my German

The problem is nearly always with the wiper motor. The switch is inside the wiper motor. If you take the car to a Renault dealer in the UK they charge 175 uk pounds for a new motor assembly plus 2.0 hours fitting time.

The problem is caused by grease migrating from the worm gear onto the switch assembly which consists of slip rings and sprung contact fingers. Its worse in winter and cold because the grease is thicker (more viscosity) and lifts the fingers off the slip rings. It is possible to remove the motor assembly, take the motor and worm gear off the assembly, remove the worm drive cover and clean the grease from the slip rings and sprung contacts.

Hello RF,
thank you very much for replying as quickly and giving such good advice. I'm flabbergasted about your excellent knowledge. I'm going to try the fix as soon as possible (to finally stop my wife complaining about the issue :-)

As for the result, I'll let you know about.
Thank's again and best regards.

Huschie

Hi RF,
I fixed the problem exactly the way you adviced me to. And it works really fine. Today it rained like hell here and the wipers behaved as they should.
In addition to the cleaning of the contacts I applied a small orbital stripe of hot glue at the cover's inner side to prevent future problems with too much migrating grease.
Let's see about the long term effects.

For the moment at least I got rid of the problem (and the complaints) and I thank you very much for helping me.

Kind regards
Huschie

Thanks for the feedback Huschie. For information Renault claim that the overfilling of grease affected only a small batch of assemblies. However reports indicate this can happen on any Scenic 1 (facelifted and pre facelifted)
Thanks for the help RF. Everything works normally, so it looks like the speed sensor or connection. Do you know where the sensor or wiring is?
Renault Scenic smart wipers - Dynamic Dave
When the wipers on the Berlingo at work packed up working intermitantly on coming to a standstill, I traced the fault to a blown fuse. I *think* the other thing noticable was that the screenwasher didn't work unless the engine was running either.

I know it's not a Renault, but they are both French motors.
Not sure where it is on the Scenic, didnt delve that deeply when I had mine, On the Laguna its all controlled by the central CPU.

Just a thought, you do realise that the speed sensing is only triggered when you change wiper speeds when traveling?

For Example. when traveling (at above 10mph) you move from intermitant to slow speed, it will drop down to intermitant when you next stop.
If you move from intermitant to slow while stationary and then move off - it wont revert to intermitant again when you next stop.
Renault Scenic smart wipers - Big Cat
Does your Scenic have the speed sensitive door locks? If so check these are still working since IIRC they are controlled by the same sensor as the wipers.
Right folks, following on from RF's advice on how the wipers work we have discovered that the wipers are indeed still smart, but the drivers are not! We had the wipers switched to slow speed then drive around and came to a stop - whence the wipers remained at slow speed. When we did what RF advised they are working perfectly, i.e. switching between intermittent and slow speed once on the move causes the wipers to automatically go to intermittent when you stop at traffic lights or whatever. Sorry for the wild goose chase - but we have learned how the wipers work. Thanks to all, esp RF.