Selling cars via The Back Room - Martyn, Back Room moderator
As some of you may remember, we have plans afoot to make The Back Room multi-topic. One of the proposed topics could well be a bulletin board for contributors to advertise their private cars for sale. Once or twice people have written to me and asked if it would be ok to mention their for-sale cars here, and it seems there's plenty of interest. However, there also needs to be some specific monitoring so that we're not cluttered up with out of date classifieds, so until then I'd prefer to keep such advertising to an absolute minimum.

As far as the recent threads to do with online showrooms are concerned, these too may well be brought into hj.co.uk in some form in the not-too-distant future. But until that happens I have absolutely no objection if someone (such as "K", for example -- see his thread entitled "Hidden Message") wants to recommend a trader who gives a good deal. We all benefit from that sort of thing. As long as no-one tries to take the mickey and pushes their own business under the guise of a 'recommendation'.
Re: Selling cars via The Back Room - Gary Bain
Martyn,

Glad to see you are now moving the website forward. We will wait to see what the future holds for HJ.co.uk
I am sure the people who have received recommendations from where to buy are fully appreciative of the recent forum discussions.

I am sure this will generate lots of interest out there and keep the exisiting users coming back to see how things develop.
A further point which I feel is relevant when it comes to buying a new car we all know once we have decided on what model and spec it is merely down to price, security of the deal, and availability. I would like to advise that people do not just buy a car merely on a recommendation from someone they have never met. Ask yourself why the recommendation came about was it initially on price, secondly on the safe secure system of dealing and thirdly on an element of service standards.
Price is the number one factor of importance when purchasing a car.
Re: Selling cars via The Back Room - ladas are cool
i always thought it was condition that was the number one factor, as i have bought cars for about £600 which are 20 years old, but are in mint condition with low miles and FSH. if i went for price as the NO 1 factor, i would be trying to get a L reg citroen ZX for the same price (£600), even though its got no history, high miles, and alot of owners.
I am refering to new cars, and hope one day that you will be able to afford one!
i would never buy new, because of the high costs, and depreciation. i always go for a car around £500.
My mum in law has a Peugeot 206 Diesel 5dr on the H plate she only wants £200 for. It has been well maintained. I think its got tax and test on it as well.
tell my what area you live in, and i will come and get the 205 diesel. what is the mileage and has it got history. i will bring cash with me.
In the Derbyshire area. I will let you know re mileage and history and let you know its MOT expiry date. The servicing has been looked after by her husband who runs his own mechanics business. I will find out whether they have documentation detailing what work has been done on it.
you might as well send details here, email address watson-fam@ic24.net

also i am not worried about viruses, because i have one of the most up to date virus checkers.
i am NOT saying that gary bain is the culprit sending viruses, i was just rambling (like i am now)
As I run an internet based Company I am aware of the virus issue but as you state I too use the latest virus checker.
Re: Selling cars via The Back Room - KB
Gary's talking about new cars.
Am I (or somebody else) missing something here? - Ian (cape town)
As an Expat, it seems there are plenty of reputable businesses able to import and supply the car of your dreams at a significant discount to what UK dealers charge.
Logically, I have to ask: How do the UK dealers stay in business?
Re: Am I (or somebody else) missing something here - ladas are cool
because of all the scare stories, like the cars that are stolen in japan, then sold in this country, and if the police find that your car is stolen from japan, you lose the car and your money, so most of the public dont even look at imports.
Re: Am I (or somebody else) missing something here - Gary Bain
UK dealers stay in business by merely obtaining their target sales for the year. Alot of the dealerships out there are mainly targeted on Retail sales ie to the man in the street. They use brokers, internet sites and other means to sell as many vehicles as possible. If they acheive their target they get heavily rewarded by the Manufacturers for their success. Success is mainly down to the dealer risking a certain element of that bonus in order that the dealership hits its target. If the dealer does not hit its own target then they could end up in a loss situation. Alot of the smaller dealerships out there ie family run dealerships are under a great deal of pressure especially with the likes of Reg Vardys, Dixons etc having a great number of franchises. They tend to have a sales team that will make as much profit out of a deal as is possible. I have heard of cases where salesmen from a certain franchised group charged in the region of 45% APR I believe over 50% APR is illegal.
So to conclude if you are buying a UK supplied vehicle go to a reputable broker, internet site.
a local dealer has an offer of 'guaranteed finance for all, even if you dont work' but in tiny little writing at the bottom of the page, it says fixed rate of 49.9% APR, i think with this APR it would put ANYBODY into debt.
i usually buy private (i get up at 6am to buy the autotrader on a thursday, to beat the dealers to the cars), or i buy the cheapies from the auctions.