New Exhaust on Renault Megane? - mini26
Hi,

I have been advised after my cars service that it will shortly be needing a new exhaust, my question is how much is that likely to be for the part? It's a 1999 Renault Megane 1.6 Alize I have been very happy with the car I just need to know how much I need to be planning on spending - it sounds expensive!

Thank you for any help you can offer, thanks to Vanboy too for spreading the word about the site.

mini
New Exhaust on Renault Megane? - John24
Exhaust seems to come in three parts, excluding cat. Unlikely all will need replacing at same time. Check out www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk for costings if you fancy doing it yourself, but dearest part is only about £45.
New Exhaust on Renault Megane? - chrisa
don't fit your own, I had a 1998 megane, terrible car, the exhaust only lasted 2 years. I priced renaults exhaust, it was around £200 for the middle and rear. Instead I went to kwik-fit. They fitted an exhausted, but it never really fitted well. The rear box on all patterned ones just doesn't fit well and hangs down to much, causing vibration. It couldn't be cured. also note that the original exhaust is in 1 piece. and you need to cut it to fit extra sections, they didn't do that right either.

I went back time and time again but it never fitted properly, and always vibrated at certain speeds. However I sold it soon after, terrible car!

best thing to do is look at same age cars, look at the rear box, why is it lower than the original?, reason, because it doesn't fit.

I would try and play 2 renault dealers off against each other, to bring the price down a bit.
sorry for the bad news, but its always good to know these things.
New Exhaust on Renault Megane? - ShereKhan
Bodyshopwarehouse sell Bosal exhausts. These are most likely the original exhausts Renault buy in for fitment at the factory. These exhausts are much better than Walker, Timax type usually fitted at fast fit places. I would ring around a few small local outfits and see if they will do an all in price for a Bosal replacement. You can check what exhaust will fit your car by using the Bodyshopwarehouse URL above - just in case the garage you take the car to get the wrong exhaust!!

--
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
New Exhaust on Renault Megane? - davemar
I fitted a new back box on my Megane (1.6) a couple of years ago which involved chopping the original one in half. Apart from the awkwardness of sawing while lying of your back it wasn't that difficult. It seemed to go together OK, and never vibrated.

About a year ago the cat died after an HT coil gave up (unburnt fuel and all that) so the whole exhaust system needed replacing. My local garage did it, but the thing does sometimes vibrate (it hits the rear crossmember) if you drive roughly, particularly so with reversing. I have tried tweaking it a bit but only improves things a tad. I think the problem is with the two mounting points on the back-box where the rubbers attach to. If they were moved slightly around the box then the bend in the pipe will be a slightly better angle giving more clearance about the crossmember.

As a side issue, I removed the rear strut brace thing the sits just below the exhaust by the crossmember last night, and it was totally rusted away! Something I recommend others checking.