Focus air recirculation broke - TimmyRaa
About 6 months ago, after playing with the air recirculation button and listening to the whirr of the servo too much on my Focus, it suddenly stopped. It's now stuck on recirculate, which means it's misting up very very quickly.

I'm not bothered about the ability to recirculate the air, but sods law would dictate that it's stuck on the one I don't want. Does anyone know where the servo is that controls the flap to circulate the air? I've bought a Haynes manual, but as usual it's as useful as a chocolate teapot. It tells me that the flap is servo controlled, but doesn't tell me where it is or how to get to it!

Thanks!
Focus air recirculation broke - blank
Could there be a fuse at fault? I don't really know but it might be worth a look at the fuse list?
Thanks for the suggestion, but that was my first thought. I've checked them all, and they all seem to be fine. Also nothing else on the car has stopped working - even the little light on the button still works, which makes me think the servo has just died.
Focus air recirculation broke - elekie&a/c doctor
This is a fairly common fault on Focus& reasonably easy to fix. Remove the glovebox &you will see the recirc flap plastic gearing just to the right of the aperture.Move the flap manually to give outside air & disconnect 2-pin plug to servo motor.
This is a fairly common fault on Focus& reasonably easy to
fix. Remove the glovebox &you will see the recirc flap plastic
gearing just to the right of the aperture.Move the flap manually
to give outside air & disconnect 2-pin plug to servo motor.

Fantastic! I'll check it out tomorrow, thanks.

Out of interest, is the servo easy to remove, and is it likely to be a dead servo? If so, I can easily pick one up from a scrap merchants.
Thanks elekie&a/c doctor, that's all fixed now!

Upon getting behing the glove box, it all clicks into place how it works, and why you need a servo to move the flap - not really a flap per se though, more a big bellow thing! Anyway, there was no gearing showing, and while I could see the servo on the side, there was nothing to hold to move it - it was all enclosed. So I had to try to get my fingers between the grilles and pull it back into place. There was no way I was moving that thing with the servo stuck, but fortunately pressing the button on and off while pulling the flap helped the servo along.

It's not actually dead - it's able to open the flap onto recirculate on it's own, but for some reason it's not able to pull it back to close it again - not without some manual assistance anyway.

Just gotta educate the missus not to switch it back again, or turn the fan controls off, which does the same too, else I'll be in there again!
Focus air recirculation broke - L'escargot
<< Remove the glovebox &you will see the recirc flap plastic
gearing just to the right of the aperture.Move the flap manually
to give outside air & disconnect 2-pin plug to servo motor.

If I disconnect said 2-pin plug, can I then turn off the fan without the heater going into recirculated air mode? This characteristic has been annoying me ever since I bought my first Focus.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.