200k Mondeo - kippax1966
Looking at the discussion on Mondeos, I would like a cheap one with more comfort to replace my rather basic Focus for the 120 mile round trip commute to work. I was looking to spend £1500 - £2000, but have seen on autotrader a 2L Ghia R reg for £1195, But with 200k miles! It apparently has Full srvice history, and the cambelt was changed at 190k.

Firstly, would a Mondeo be a suitable replacement for my Focus, I realise the fuel costs would be higher, but things like heated mirrors and a heated screen would be nice at 6.30 on a Winter's morning.

Also, any opinions on a Mondeo with this mileage - will it be due for expensive repairs or imminent failures? I assume that a car with this mileage will have few original parts left!
200k Mondeo - smokie
My unprofessional opinion is that £1195 seems a fairly large piece of wonga for a car that age with that mileage. Your assumption re original parts may be incorrect. You have to ask why, if the owner thought it worth changing the cam belt 10k miles ago, he now thinks it's not worth keeping.

I know you won't get one as cheap, but higher spec Focii have the options you desire.
200k Mondeo - Ben {P}
At 200k i would imagine its starting to get a bit tired and baggy. Engine mounts and ancilliaries and suspension components will start to pack up. I dont think its worth much more than 500quid. For that sort of money you should be looking for an r plate with less than 100k on the clock.
200k Mondeo - SP
In terms of consumption the Mondeo is quite good on longer runs where the weight is less of a factor. My 1.8 has averaged 38mpg over the last 6000 miles, with over 40 possible on the M'way.
200k Mondeo - blank
My 1999 1.6 is nearly at half the mileage of the one you're looking at and it has front suspension and anti-roll bar bushes feeling in need of attention. Symptoms are light knock over uneven roads and when cornering.
Look out for pending clutch replacement if it's not been done already. Depending on who you listen to that will cost £400-700. I reckon that's about what the car is worth, depending on condition, certainly not £1200.

Andy
200k Mondeo - DavidHM
I agree with Andy. At the sort of money he's mentioned, the car would be worth a punt. If it died after six months, you probably wouldn't care. However £1,200 (and probably quite a bit less) would get you a nice, 90k mile example at auction - though admittedly that would involve a lot of time waiting for the right one to come around, and you'd have to know what you were doing - but £1,200 is roughly double what this car is worth.

It's a decent enough car and fuel costs might not be that bad compared to a petrol Focus - but bear in mind that if you're doing 600 miles a week, the difference between 60 mpg and 30 mpg is 500 gallons, or not far off £2k a year, so you might be better off choosing something newer and more econmomical if your mileage is going to be that high over the long term.
200k Mondeo - Hugo {P}
200k could be the end of a petrol engine....

H
200k Mondeo - MichaelR
That car is too expensive. A friend of mine bought a lovely Panther Black 2.0 Ghia X on an R plate, from a trader, with 130k miles on it for £1200.
200k Mondeo - kippax1966
Thanks for all your replies. I went and looked at the car yesterday afternoon - it was in nice condition, all the electric stuff appeared to work (how do you tell that air con works in November??), but I decided the mileage was just too high for the price(my last 4 cars have had 170k, 120k, 140k and 105k respectively, so I'm not afraid of high mileage per se).

Blackbushe auction is a possibility, but I have no annual leave left this year, and would like my 'winter car' asap.

I'll keep looking.......
200k Mondeo - daveyK_UK
I was offered yesterday, a 51 plate 5 dor hyundai accent with 170k for £700 quid, with most SH.

i was very surprised as i never expected the 1.3 unit to surpase 150k.

and its had very little work done to it,
changed water pump at 120k,
exhaust at 90k,
had the window rubbers replaced every 20k (mine went 4000 miles after replacing them).

its was in fair condiditon, usual bodywork areas of rust, but the interior had lasted very well and the car ran fine.

still couldnt justify owning two accents, thinking of moving mine of for a getz.
cant decide between a 04 plate getz diesel or a 53 almera 1.5s

been offered either one for 6 grand.

200k Mondeo - Vansboy
Yesterday £2500, would have bought you a 51 plate, in auction! a couple of other things to mention, about it....

in white
V6
ex Police
scruffy - but NOT destroyed
usual dash holes & trim damage
sounded OK

VB