406 2.1 TD starting problem - Mapsimus
Backroomers, my '96 406 2.1TD has tonight started to think twice about starting. When I turn the key it revs for a second then dies.

After about 6 or 8 attempts it finally starts ok, but then ticks over with just a hint of misfire for a minute or so - then drives fine.

It starts ok when warm. I assume a sensor somewhere is playing up? All dash lights appear normal.

I'd be grateful for any hints, won't be able to get it to my spannerman until early next week.

Thanks

Mapsimus
406 2.1 TD starting problem - cholin
Had similar trouble, specially when outside temp was a bit low.
3 out of 4 glow plugs duff (open circuit). Contrary to expectations changing them was a doddle.
406 2.1 TD starting problem - machika
Almost certainly a glow plug problem. How long have this particular set been in the engine?
406 2.1 TD starting problem - Reggie
Or it could be an air leak in the fuel system. You say it revs for a second and then dies, i assume you mean it revs to a rev range above tickover speed and then dies?

If it starts immeadiately from cold and does this, I would be more suspicious of an fuel system air leak.

Get someone to start the engine whilst you look at the clear diesel pipes under the bonnet coming from the fuel filter to the injection pump, and see if there are lots of air bubbles being drawn through to the injector pump. On mine you do see the odd air bubble floating through, so this will not be abnormal.

Reggie
If you meant that it starts and run roughly and dies i.e. it doesn't rev above 850 ish rpm, then as said above, I would think it will be the glowplugs.

When it is a glowplug problem it is usually more significant when it is very cold outside. We are expecting a cold spell this weekend. See if the problem is significantly worse.

Reggie

Thanks for the replies guys, in order then...

Cholin & Machika, I had all glowplugs changed 18 months ago - not sure if that's excessive.

Reggie, it starts immediately and revs itself (cleanly) for half a second, then dies.
Here in Herefordshire, it's been mild recently but I will try it again in the inclement weather due this weekend.

I was going to say that the longer I seemed to leave the car parked up, the more attempts it needed to start - but after being parked at work all day, it started first time this evening!! Typical...

An initial call to my spannerman suggested a throttle position sensor, but he hasn't seen to car to try it.

Thanks again,

Maps
One more thing (regarding fuel) I did let the diesel run particularly low last week ( I know I shouldn't )

Just a thought.

Maps
If you mean it starts immeadiately and the revs rise up to say 1500rpm or more (or abnormaly high) then it stalls, this would suggest to me air in the fuel system. Is that what you mean?

I once had a punctured fuel filter diaphragm on a diesel 505, and that is how it behaved, the only difference being that the leak was so severe it would not run correctly at all, but when it was eventually started (after bleeding the system), the revs would rise quite high, say to 2000rpm and then it would stall.

Reggie