Strange growth in washer bottle - madux
Windscreen washers in my "new" (1995) Volvo 940 packed up.
On investigation I found what seemed to be a sort of silicone gasket between the filler tube and the reservoir.
I cleaned it. It's a filter! Covered on both sides with a layer of black slimy gunge.
This black slimy stuff also covers the inside of the washer bottle.
Any ideas on how to remove it?
It looks like I might have to take the air filter off to remove the bottle.
Volvoman, where are you when I need you?
Strange growth in washer bottle - SjB {P}
The same thing happened to me with a previous car after several years of using a liquid screenwash additive in reasonably concentrated amounts.

I removed the filter from the bottle, and disolved the gunge in warm water in the kitchen sink. Problem solved.

If getting the bottle out is a PITA, try draining it if any pipes come off the bottom and are easily accessed, and then fill with hot (not boiling) water and leave to stand. Repeat as necessary.
Strange growth in washer bottle - Victorbox
All the cars I've ever owned have had this in the washer bottle to some extent. Its never caused a problem. I've always assumed it is something growing in the water.
Strange growth in washer bottle - frostbite
I always add about 5ml (teaspoonfull) household disinfectant to my washer bottle - enough to keep all fungal growth away.

There are those who claim this could damage paintwork, but I disagree that this huge dilution could have that effect. Only downside is the smell when you operate the washers.

Those who think squash is competitive should watch flower-arranging.
Strange growth in washer bottle - blank
How about adding a dilute solution of bleach and washing up liquid to the washer bottle, leaving overnight, then adding a slow-running hosepipe to rinse it all away? The bleach should kill the mocrobiological growth (for that's what it is) and the surfactant in the fairy lq should help loosen. A bottle brush might also be useful.

hth
Andy

...just don't run the washing up liquid through the washer pump as the salt in the stuff will possibly damage the rubber in the pump.
Strange growth in washer bottle - Adam {P}
>>.just don't run the washing up liquid through the washer pump as the salt in the stuff will possibly damage the rubber in the pump.<<

My mate went crazy at me for using washing up liquid in the screen wash (as I always do). I'm sure there's some merit, but I've always done it, Dad's always done it and nothing untoward has ever occured. I use the tiniest amount anyway so maybe this has something to do with it.
--
Adam
I just hope you don't wash your car with Fairy Liquid as well.
No no no - I use proper car shampoo. This is how sad I am - I manually wax it once every two weeks too!

If it's such a big deal then I will stop putting it in the screen wash - if it's going to damage the car then I'll stop!
--
Adam
Strange growth in washer bottle - AR-CoolC
I used to once in a while use washing up liquid instead of screenwash if I'd run out, but found that it would always make the wipers realy squeeky.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm sure bleach or disinfectant would do the job, but having killed the gunge, would it (the dead gunge) then clog up the pipes and nozzles?
Would fitting blue lights to them help - are they really ultra-violet bacteria killing nozzle cleaning devices?
I think Andy S's theory about the hosepipe might work best.
Strange growth in washer bottle - henry k
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm sure bleach or disinfectant would
do the job, but having killed the gunge, would it (the
dead gunge) then clog up the pipes and nozzles?
I think Andy S's theory about the hosepipe might work best.

I would check it the risk of clogging up things.
I have certainly seen a fine mesh strainer on the end of a pick up tube on a previous vehicle.
It obviously depends on the shape and location of the bottle, pumps and pipes.
The Focus, I would guess is almost impossible to power wash out because the filler neck appears to have two 90 degree bends at the top.
Sierra and Mondeo has the bottle in the wing.
If you have a straight access into the bottle then maybe syphon it out while running fresh water in at the same time?
If there are filters and you clog them this may give you serious access problems.
e.g. access to my Mondeo is easiest if you remove the bumper!
Strange growth in washer bottle - Onetap
A washer bottle provides a good environment for the proliferation of any organism that gets into it; it's warm and there's probably lots of nutrients in the windscreen wash. This slime/biofilm may be Pseudomonas aeruginosa , a very persistent slime that can clog heating or cooling systems. See
ehp.niehs.nih.gov/docs/1998/106-12/innovations.html

Mind you, it could be any of thousands of organisms, but I only know of a couple. It does sound like pseudomonas. Pseudomonas aeruginosa can cause infections in people with weakened immune systems, e.g., cystic fibrosis. It takes 1,500 times as much disinfectant to kill and dispares a biofilm as a bacterial infestation; I doubt that the Domestos will bother it, it'll probably lap it up and ask for more.

The blue lights won't touch it either. UV sterilisation lights have an effective wavelength of 320 nm (I think), and are not these silly LEDs.

Now I'm really worried, afm!
An e-mail to HJ in today's Telegraph agrees with you that "Screenwash contains additives that deteriorate and sludge up reservoir filters"
I must say I find this hard to believe. Surely it is mostly soap and antifreeze? I have been using screenwash for over 25 years now, and the washer bottle has always been the cleanest part of the car!
Maybe it is a lack of screenwash that causes this?
I was joking about the blue lights BTW........
You wouldn't get all this business with Fairy liquid

;-)
--
Adam
You're right Adski. I used to use washing-up liquid when I couldn't afford screenwash (It's actually free if your mum has paid for it)
plus a little meths in winter (when I couldn't afford beer)
My father, BTW, has always used washing-up liquid as a mortar plasticiser. I can't convince him that the stuff you get from the builders merchants is actually cheaper!
Strange growth in washer bottle - rustbucket
>>My father, BTW, has always used washing-up liquid as a mortar plasticiser. I can't convince him that the stuff you get from the builders merchants is actually cheaper!

A bit off subject but for what its worth- using washing up liquid as a plasticiser is a big no no as it weakens the mix and over time causes the mortar to fail.

rustbucket (the original)
Strange growth in washer bottle - Onetap
I've no idea what's in it (some alcohol as antifreeze AFAIK), but I think the bugs resident in the water will regard it as nutrients. Pseudomonas and legionella are organisms that are ubiquitous, even in mains water in small quantities, but given the right conditions can proliferate to create huge problems. I think the recommendations involving heating & cooling systems involve sterilizing the initial fill water, but I haven't read up on it.

"I was joking about the blue lights BTW........"
I know, but strangely it's the most sensible explanation for them that I've heard. I fear there is no sensible explanation; probably more intelligent lifeforms in the washer bottles than in the cars.
Strange growth in washer bottle - Andrew-T
>The blue lights won't touch it either. UV sterilisation lights have an effective wavelength of 320 nm (I think), and are not these silly LEDs<. ..and even if they did 'touch it', it would be too late by the time the liquid reached the nozzles and got 'touched', wouldn't it?
Strange growth in washer bottle - Stuartli
i'm always going on at my missus for using too much washing up liquid when doing the dishes.

The reason? A sticky residue builds up on the plastic sink and dishes holder which has to be removed using a strong kitchen cleaner and brush.....

Sounds like it's the same with your windscreen water reservoir.

In any case you should never use washing up liquid in the windscreen water as it contains salt. I live on the coast and the salty air causes enough problems as it is without adding more.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by