SUV-Xtrail/Tucson/Rav4 - JohnX
(Sorry for shameless repeat posting , but this got hidden in a long thread,and looking for any responses)

I have finally narrowed the choice of SUVs that can be bought in the price range of approx £12000-14000.

The Nissan Xtrail-Looks good, claimed fuel consumption 39mpg! on the diesel.Plus Nissans famed reliability record.

Rav4-Claimed to drive like a hatchback,good resale values and reliability, dont know how good the diesel is though.

Hyundai Tucson/Terracan-less dearer, though not so good resale values and reliability.

Santa Fe-looks a bit unusual in places hence a no no, but cheaper 2nd hand than the others.

Nissan Terrano-Dont know much about this one, but seems a bit dated in comparison.Plus a mileage of 23mpg on the diesel!

Honda CR-V -otherwise good but no diesel.

Any Backroomers who have actually owned/driven one of these , or better still has driven more than one of them,would appreciate your opinions.Also if there is anything else that can be obtained at this price range which has a reasonably good resale market demand .

Thanks for all responses.
SUV-Xtrail/Tucson/Rav4 - Aprilia
Hyundai Tucson/Terracan-less dearer, though not so good resale values and reliability.

I have driven a Tucson (albeit automatic) - nice vehicle if you really need a 4x4, no reliability problems AFAIK (Hyundais are generally reliable) and it comes with a pretty comprehensive 5-year warranty.
SUV-Xtrail/Tucson/Rav4 - blue_haddock
The Rav4 diesel is the 2.0 D4D which is used pretty much throughout the whole Toyota range - you should get MPG fairly easily out of it.

For the money your looking at spending you will probably get a 2 or 3 year old mid spec one from a dealer.
SUV-Xtrail/Tucson/Rav4 - Perturbed
Go to Toyota UK's website and do a search of used cars. There a re a few around the country in your price range
SUV-Xtrail/Tucson/Rav4 - Hintza
Hi going through the same process for my partners mother who will be buying in the New Year.

My findings so far are:-

RAV; CRV; X-Trail are the short list.

Running costs per mile are:

RAV 46.39p
CRV 42.85p
X-Trail Petrol 42.86p
X-Trail Diesel 42.70p

(courtesy of the what car site)

All have 4 stars from What car....so nothing in it there

The RAV's rear door does not open fully and might hinder access for large loads....might be a factor?

I am down to the CRV, X-Trail...RAV dropped because of rear door issue.

As far as I can see there is not much difference between the petrol and diesel in the big picture.

One final point the CRV diesel is coming soon and if their advertising is accurate it might be a worthy contender...probably no discounts for a while though.

I am off to have another look at your other suggestions.

Anyone got anyother models worth looking at?

SUV-Xtrail/Tucson/Rav4 - Hintza
Oh just to add she has a CRV currently as does my mother.

That might be enough to put you off the CRV...lol.

SUV-Xtrail/Tucson/Rav4 - JohnX
Was looking up NoDosh's deal with the Mitsubishi L200 and it does seem to be a good deal.For 150 a month+vat over 3 years,one gets the L200.Dont know what specs though.
If you were to buy the same thing , would cost ?about 15,000 atleast.Had you paid the whole amount to buy it ,then thats 60 quid a month(gross)in interest itself a month on it.
SUV-Xtrail/Tucson/Rav4 - Aprilia
Are there any additional payments? i.e. up-front deposit etc. or is the £150+VAT a month the only payment that is made. If so then its a very good deal indeed.
SUV-Xtrail/Tucson/Rav4 - tack
JohnX

What you need to check (if you have a significant other) is this.

My missus sat in the X-Trail and the Rav4 front passenger seat (where she always sits!) Because she is not very tall, nor very short I might add, she found that she couldn't get her legs comfortable on the floor pan. If she stretched legs out, the front of the seat squab cut into the back of her thigh. If she sat with her legs folded down she was also uncomfortable as she was on tippy toes. The problem is that neither of the passenger seats go up or down. Only back and foreward.

In the end, we got a Subaru Forester Xln because the passenger seat was lower and more comfy for her. I admire its build quality and kit, but it ain't diesel which is what I really wanted. However, willing to compromise for my little sweetie pie.
SUV-Xtrail/Tucson/Rav4 - No Do$h
John/Aprilia

The headline deal was for the singlecab whereas we opted for the doublecab GL and higher mileage. 3 payments up front is the norm, with 23 or 35 payments to follow and a £95 doc fee. I've done a lot of digging around and new-car-leasing are consistently undercutting not only their independent competitors, but the manufacturers' deals too.

I'm drawn to a 2.5TDi Touareg Auto and have found them to be in the region of £30-£60 per month cheaper than their rivals.

If you are in the market for a new car, I can personally recommend them.