Volkswagon Golf TDI 02 - music680
Please can anyone advise. My daughter has a Golf TDI still under warranty. Two months ago the interior light, electric windows failed. She rang up main agents to book car in it also was letting water in on drivers and passenger front windows when rain was heavy. Just before it was due to go in she returned home from shopping got out of car luckily she took her 9 month old son out as well. As she put key in the house the car alarm went off she turned round and the interior of car was full of smoke and flames coming from fuse box. To cut along story short Volkswagon have replaced wiring loom and dash, cleaned car and told her although they do not know what caused it they expect her to have it back. It still smells of smoke and she and her son have severe asthma. She is unhappy at having it back because they cannot guarantee it wont happen again, but the main agents Volkswagon UK at Milton Keynes are refusing to do anything else. What else can she do and has anyone else had a problem like this. By the way they have also said they cannot find any leaks and yet my daughters has told them that both sides do let water in.
Volkswagon Golf TDI 02 - JohnM{P}
My 51 Golf also suddenly had problems with interior light and windows not working, door open display showing tailgate and various other doors open, and if I remember correctly, the alarm wasn't operating. I investigated and found one of the fuses blown (I cannot remember which one - windows?). My dealer identified and fixed a detached connection on the control box for the theatre lighting/alarm/display etc control unit, which had shorted. Sounds similar, though with less drastic results...
Again, iirc, they fixed it foc although at 65k it was recently out of warranty.

Thank you for your reply. I agree it does sound a similar problem. I will tell my daughter.
Volkswagon Golf TDI 02 - Altea Ego
As the car had 1 fault (ok it sounds like a massive fault!) and has been repaired then VW do not have to replace the car.

However it could be argued that as the car still smells of smoke - it has not been repaired to a satisfactory level.
Yes we have tried that tack but as yet are getting nowhere with the main agents, Volkswagen UK or Germany themselves, who are all passing the buck as we expected them to do. This of cause does not help my daughter at this time. I would like to thank you for replying to my letter. I really appreciate that.
Volkswagon Golf TDI 02 - Hugo {P}
Failing the above, I would suggest an e mail to Honest John for his motoring column in the Daily Telegraph, and a letter to the SMMT (Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders IIRC).

It seem that they are telling you that the car cannot be considered safe, but it is no longer their problem.

Hugo