Caliper Repair Kits - Mk2 Golf - Canuck
I've taken apart the calipers on my trusty MK2 Golf, they weren't leaking or anything, only a bit corroded on the surface. I gave them a clean on the outside and a nice coat of paint. The bores are fine. Now I discover from my motor factor that they aren't allowed to sell caliper repair kits anymore, only rebuilt or new calipers. Now I'm faced with either buying new calipers or sticking the old seals back in.

Is he telling me the truth and this is the way things are going, no one can be trusted to change a seal or is it a method to sell more calipers? I just don't understand it. Can anyone explain?

Canuck
Caliper Repair Kits - tomandjerry56
they do not do calliper repair kits what they do now is you take back your old calliper and it is exchanged for a recondiconed one then your one is taken away and done up vi versa

hope this makes some sense
Caliper Repair Kits - martint123
I got a pair of Mazda caliper seal kits a month or two back from a Mazda dealer no problem. Was suprised that they were a reasonable price (compared to other 'main dealer' prices).

Martin
Caliper Repair Kits - pmh

Plenty of info avaialble if you do a Google.
It seems easy to find kits for older cars,

Try (you may have to cut and paste link without break in it!)

www.autohausaz.com/catalog/lookup_parts.cfm?Vehicl...y**=1720&CFID=286358&CFToken=60372908

This could be the cheapest way for Golf Kits at about £2.50 a wheel! Let us know how you get onj it may be worth importing and selling on ebay!

pmh (was peter)
Caliper Repair Kits - Canuck
It's interesting that the kits are readily available in the USA. The only thing is that my Golf is the wee 1.3 version that never sold in the USA.

However, it is a good idea for sure. I am working next week near Munich, I will get my German colleagues to take me to the nearest VW dealer and see what we can get. I wonder what the German for caliper repair kit is?

Canuck
Caliper Repair Kits - IanW
Out of interest, I just looked up the kit for my car.

The kit is actually for the caliper guide pins, not the brake cylinder seals themselves.

As far as I know, the guide pin kits are still available from the dealer.

Ian.
Caliper Repair Kits - pmh
If you check the part no from the Autohaus site it shows up a variety of google hits

171 698 471B SEAL KIT FOR BRAKE CALIPER VW-AUDI

Also try following (Australia) but seems to carry all sorts of caliper repair items. Primarily Bugs but some other later VW cars.

www.mickmotors.com.au/PAGES/brake_parts.htm#CALIPER REPAIR KITS

pmh (was peter)
Caliper Repair Kits - madf
I rebuilt my son's Fiesta front calipers with new seals a year ago.. Stops very well..If I as a former accountant can do it,..

madf

Caliper Repair Kits - Drew20
not sure what your profession has to do with it??
as a current accountant I keep mk2 golf and a 75 911 on the road

;-)
I rebuilt the calipers on my golf from the ground up two years ago now with new seals on the piston, new pins and new pvc insert jobbies and got all te parts from the dealer
not sure if they've dicontinued these parts?? they were more expensive taht I liked....
Caliper Repair Kits - Canuck
And in the end..... I got them just like you said.

The VW parts department in Falkirk had the kits, no fuss, no bother. However, if I add up the cost of the new seals, slidy bits, bleed screw and a bit of sexy caliper paint, I find I could have bought remanufactured ones. So it was stupid financially, but I rebuilt them anyhow. Must be because I'm an engineer, not an accountant. I'll learn someday.

Canuck