Audi A4 1.6 unable to fill tank past 3/4 - gloveman
Hi there,

I've just purchased an Audi A4 1.6 on an N, and I can't fill the tank past the 3/4 level with a standard unleaded fuel nozzle from any petrol station.

A mate with a BMW 330i said it happens to his, but all he does is wait for a minute and then he can fill it to the brim.

Whenever the "valve" pops out, i push it it, and i've waited for at least a minute, then I can only put another litre in and then so on. I can live with it but it is infuriating.

I've left it for a minute and then try and insert some more petrol. I can put another litre in and then it stops because the fuel reaches the nozzle and therefore stops. I presume I can keep continuing like this but don't want to hang around a petrol station for half an hour doing it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Audi A4 1.6 unable to fill tank past 3/4 - Victorbox
Some thoughts:
This happened to me with a new Vauxhall. Although you couldn't get to 3/4 before it cut off. Breather on tank filler pipe was faulty & replaced under warranty.
How much fuel are you actually getting into tank? I mean is tank full & gauge only showing 3/4 full? Hence faulty gauge.
On a lot of modern cars once first cut-off occurs the manual says no more than 2 litres should be added so as not to overfill tank and saturate the fume filter (charcoal??) they put in the fuel system.
Audi A4 1.6 unable to fill tank past 3/4 - Aprilia
Could be:
Blocked vent
Faulty gauge unit or sender
Dent in fuel tank (someone stuck a jack under it)
Audi A4 1.6 unable to fill tank past 3/4 - El Dingo
Our N reg Avant is much easier to fill if you angle the nozzle at about 50 degrees so that the pump hose is pointing back and downwards. Held at 90 degrees with the pipe downwards results in frequent pump stops!

Hope this helps...
El Dingo.